All of this changed in front end, and still there is a very slight 'clunk'
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All of this changed in front end, and still there is a very slight 'clunk'

All of this changed in front end, and still there is a very slight 'clunk'

So, I've changed out full strut kits, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end link. The end links were so fused on the lower joint I was able to break the ball out and remove the entire sway bar in order to saw off the bolts. A pain for sure.

The ride is a great improvement as you'd expect, but there is still the slightest hint of the 'clunk' sound.

Are we now looking at ball joints?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Have you tried to pop off the ball joint & then doing a physical check if there is play in the socket. It will be most likely will be. let me know.

DrD
    for the ball joints you are looking at replacing the whole control arm (they don't come out) - also, don't forget the outer tie rod ends (that ended up being the culprit in a recent clunk hunt I went on)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks DrD, O'reilly tomorrow.

I think I've had this same problem. I, like you, have replaced so much including the struts, coils, mounts, sway bar bushing, end links, etc., and there's still that annoying front end sound. I expected a perfect suspension experience after replacing all of those parts. About the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the lower control arms, and inner/outer tie rods. I've brought it to a few different places and they say everything looks "tight" and there's no play in the tie rods or ball joints. I have Moog lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods sitting in my home but I'm not sure I want to have them installed if it's not going to fix that darn noise.

I recently, as of a week or so, I replaced struts, mounts, shocks and lower control arms. The ride is awesome and complements the H&R springs nicely. The only clunk I've got (at the moment) is from my front mount that is worn.

Jose

I had a slight clunking noise in the front end of our 2010 Touring. I was doing a lot of research and read a post that said to unlock tilt steering and move the wheel up and down/in & out while turning the wheel. The redistributes the grease within the tilt steering mechanism, and can cause a clunk if not done every so often. I would not have believed it, but it worked for me. Not a single clunk since then.

Start with the easy stuff first.

I had a clunk after doing very similar. It turns out i had to redo the sway bar end links. They were tight but not lined up perpendicular to the hole in the strut. took them off and reinstalled and all was great.

I'm in the same boat. Our '05 EX was making a rattle/clunk mainly when starting from a stop and with 165K on the front struts I bought new quick struts and end links for both sides figuring the strut bushings were shot and they needed to be replaced anyway. Had them installed and definite improvement in ride quality but the rattle/clunk is still there, maybe more noticeable now, esp when going over bumps. If the bushings in my LCAs are worn, could it cause this kind of noise? I don't think its tie rod ends either since they check these every year at state inspection which was just done in August and the steering and tracking is pretty tight, no wandering. I bought some new sway bar bushings but I doubt this is the problem, noise seems too serious to be related to just worn bushings.

Bubba - not sure what you mean, can you describe in more detail the problem? First thing I did was check to make sure the new end links were tight with no play and they're on solid, no play at all in them when I grab the link and try to move it. Is there a better way to check these? Need to jack it up?

Really frustrated that $800 later the problem is actually worse now than it was before....
    Last edited by ohfive!; 12-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.

ohifive, the end links need to go in horizontal. the top bolt was at an angle down, still tight but not fully seated. I took off the nut, readjusted the stud and redid the nut. made all the difference. noise went away on tight turns.

Try this , remove one of the links. Then drive around see if the noise is still present. Let us know.

I just replaced the Lower Control Arms and they eliminated some of the clunkiness and make the steering more accurate.

For things like clunkiness, it' won't be one magic thing, it's a combination of a lot of worn-out bushings and ball joints.

I replaced the front sway bushings yesterday since I'd ordered some Moog ones a while back. The originals were totally worn, could actually move the sway bar freely back and forth with the front end on jack stands! Everything with the end links and struts seems tight and plum. After I got the new ones in I was hopeful but a quick drive indicated it didn't solve the problem, might have made it a tad better but still there.

I didn't remove one of the end links since I don't have an impact wrench and didn't want to risk damaging it by using a regular socket if it ended up spinning the joint (which can't be good.)

The sound seems to be coming from the drivers side and even occurs when the passenger side wheel hits a dip so it seems like the sway bar is related but with everything in order not sure what else could be going on. That symptom doesn't seem like a ball joint? I did check the bushing on the LCAs and with the exception of some very slight cracking on the joint at the frame they look good.

Any advice appreciated.

One other thing I wonder is if maybe I got a bad quick strut assembly? Or if the top mount wasn't properly oriented, I wonder if that could cause this kind of problem?

Did you install and torque all the parts with preload applied to the wheel? Recently had lower control arm issue and loosten the bolts and jacking the wheel up to apply a load prior to tighten made a load of difference.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jnissen; 12-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast