EX-L tire puncture
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX-L tire puncture

EX-L tire puncture

With just 1,000 miles my wife picked up a lag bolt in the tread.

It would have been patch-able, but she drove on it for awhile with little or no air pressure, and the sidewall has separated. Partly due to bad advice from me.

Fortunately the rim is not damaged at all.

To get the matching Michelin tire is $160 plus installation and 1 week wait. Ouch! I know everyone is worried about the cost of the PAX tires but these EX-L tires are bad enough!

I saw tire rack has Michelins (though not same as OEM) for about $69. Probably could have gotten 2 of those and then at least had matching front tires and matching rears. But with only 1,000 miles on the van, I really want it to all be matching.

Thanks for letting me vent.....
    05 EX-L RES (wife's)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It seems to me the Michelin Energy LX4 listed here at $69 on Tirerack *is* the same OEM tire found on EX/EX-L Odys. The Turanza EL42 is found on the LX.
    '15 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
    '05 Odyssey EX-L/RES Midnight Blue Pearl (sold)
    '12 Infiniti G37xS AWD Graphite Shadow
    '11 Lexus IS250 AWD Deep Sea Mica

OEM

yup, that is the original tire. Cheap, too. SHould get some to squirrel away if you put on a lot of miles!

Would be cheaper and quicker to order it and pay the extra $ to have it shipped ON. COuld be on tomorrow!

The $160 installed at the dealer I can see. Waiting a week is rediculous. Did you try other Michelin stores? It owuld make me nervous if it was on national back order.

Hopefully by the time I need tires (not soon thankfully) there are some other choices.
    2005 Slate/Olive EX-L
    2005 Accord EX-L (silver over black)

That replaced-------
    2005 Scion tC 5-speed

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes they are Energy LX4's but there is an XSE designation that I don't think you get for $69. Would probably work though. Might call the tire place and see if it's not too late.
    05 EX-L RES (wife's)

JMS336

These look to be the same tires for $69 at the Tire Rack - they are Energy LX4's. $69 is a hot price but don't read the reviews on the tires. Many used as OE on Sienna's don't seem to be lasting too long. At 7K miles, I measured 8/32's in front and 10/32's in the rear so I rotated them. I'm not sure how long they are going to last.

If you have a store in your area, you may want to try Discount Tire (www.tires.com), also known in CA as America's Tire. They use torque wrenches to tighten your wheel lugs without even asking (rare in my area) and they will negotiate to match/beat Costco pricing etc. They may be able to match or come close to the Tire Rack's pricing. Good Luck!
    HOOSIER DADDY! Go Big Red!

15 CRV Touring - daughter's car
    08 S2000 New Formula Red (cure for the minivan blues)
    05 EXL Sage Brush/Olive NAVI+RES - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads/Centric Premium Rotors - No Noise!!!
    Excell 2600PSI Pressure Washer, powered by Honda

Previous rides:

98 Raisin Pearl Accord LX Sedan - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    88 Accord LXI Sedan
    82 Accord LX 5-speed Hatchback
    77 Civic CVCC 5-speed Hatchback

DrD
    The ones on sale at the tire rack for $70 are indeed the same ones as the OEM tires (I bought one as a spare)

Yes, I see now that this is the same OEM tire exactly. The tire store is going to work with me to get the cost down. It helps that I have done about $1,000 of business with them in the last year or so. They said they may order it from tire rack and pass most or all of the savings on to me. Hopefully I just saved close to $100. gotta love the internet!
    05 EX-L RES (wife's)

Now if Honda had made the spare tire storage space big enough to put a full size tire in it I would be buying a rim and tire as I dont like space saver spares.....

But it does save on weight and space......

I guess Honda made the best comprimse with what the current level of technology is....
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

Originally posted by KiteSquid
    Now if Honda had made the spare tire storage space big enough to put a full size tire in it I would be buying a rim and tire as I dont like space saver spares.....

But it does save on weight and space......

I guess Honda made the best comprimse with what the current level of technology is....
    I don't know about the MDX and the Pilot, but all the Honda products we own or owned ('82 Accord, '90 Accord, '98 Accord, '96 Acura 3.2TL, and '05 Odyssey), all of them have/had compact spare tires.
    Billy
    '06 Honda Accord EX-L - Carbon Bronze Pearl/Black
    '98 Honda Accord EX-V6 - Heather Mist/Mild Beige
    '90 Honda Accord LX - Charcoal/Palmy Gray
    '05 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Sagebrush Pearl/Ivory

A 160 qoute is an absolute rip-off. Just go to sears or walmart. They carry the LX4. Its a cheap tire. Mounting balancing and so on should be another 30 bucks or so.

I got a refund from the place I had ordered the "special" tire from. They continue to maintain that what they were going to sell me is different from what I will get from tirerack. But they couldn't point to 2 different tires in their catalog.

Oh well, we shall see what UPS drops off at my door next week and how well it matches what is on the van.

John
    05 EX-L RES (wife's)

Originally posted by jms336
    I got a refund from the place I had ordered the "special" tire from. They continue to maintain that what they were going to sell me is different from what I will get from tirerack. But they couldn't point to 2 different tires in their catalog.

Oh well, we shall see what UPS drops off at my door next week and how well it matches what is on the van.

John
    Just for curosity, how much is the shipping of that tire costing you. I am looking at new tires for my Avalon and I had a guy at a local tire store say it was going to cost me $30/tire to ship them from Tire Rack. That seemed very high, but I didn't know enough to dispute him there.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

Back in December, I ordered a complete set of four winter tires mounted on steel wheels from TireRack (heavy package !) and it cost me $72.27 total to ship UPS Ground between Delaware and Vermont. Service was great, shipping was fast, tires were well packaged and perfectly balanced on their Hunter 9700. I spoke to Alex at 888-541-1777 #294 for information and ordered through their web site.
    '15 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
    '05 Odyssey EX-L/RES Midnight Blue Pearl (sold)
    '12 Infiniti G37xS AWD Graphite Shadow
    '11 Lexus IS250 AWD Deep Sea Mica

I think if you are just getting tires estimate between 5-7 bucks per tire. That has been my experience.

A tire dealer is going to tell you lies so you will buy from them. My experience has been even with mounting and balancing and shipping costs, it is still way cheaper than a retailer.
    tdpark

Got the tire from tirerack. It is an exact match for the OEM Michelins, just as they said it would be. Just have to get it mounted and balanced now.

Thanks for all the help, I saved about $100 from the bogus tire dealer who was feeding me a line!
    05 EX-L RES (wife's)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast