Dead battery in rain...relays clicking. Please help. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead battery in rain...relays clicking. Please help.

Thanks guys. Just got home from hospitals. I'll check the battery tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpinhard25 View Post
    Thanks guys. Just got home from hospitals. I'll check the battery tomorrow.
    I am having the exact same issue.
    I just replaced the battery as well and issues are now worse.

Car gets wet - alarm goes off, lights on dash act crazy, relays clicking, battery dying.
    I pulled out the rear driver side interior trim panels, pulled the door control unit and
    it was dry. I applied the grease as dictated by service bulletin 08-078.
    Fuse boxes seem dry and fine.

Is there one on the left side as well? Should I do the same thing on the
    left side (pulling the interior trim in non-trivial, so I don't want to do it to only
    find there is no circuitry back there). Oh and it is a 2006EX-L as well.

Thanks!

Check behind the drivers side fuse box/MICU box. That's a common place for moisture.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Ok I found my moisture. Hard to believe, but I think it's true. On the passenger side under the hood is a large fuse box. I sprayed water in the front windshield and noticed water running up and over the tray between the windshield and the hood down into the engine compartment. The water would trickle underneath that fuse box, but not touch it. However there is a large wiring harness underneath the fuse box. Almost all the wires are covered in a plastic sheath, EXCEPT in one spot right under the fuse box which happens to be right where the water runs. Where the water runs there is huge bundle of wires that are not wrapped in a plastic sheath or tape: *seems it was designed this way so the wire harness could make a sharp bend*. I could take some pictures to show, but I already pulled the fuse box, cleaned out the gunk and water, applied some grease to the wire harness to maybe help keep out the water. Any other suggestions for keeping water out of there? I thought about applying a tight wrap of electrical tape around the exposed wires, but not sure it would work and it is really hard to get to. I think the better course of action would be to try to keep water out of the engine compartment, but I am not sure how. It sure rains a lot up here in Seattle, so whatever action I take needs to be rock solid.

Thanks!
    Last edited by djdj42; 03-05-2017 at 04:24 PM.

And and one more thing. It does not seem to take much water at all to cause things to go haywire. I didn't spray a torrent of water on the windshield. Seems a small trickle of water can do an amazing amount of carnage.

That's the first I've heard of a problem there.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    That's the first I've heard of a problem there.
    This is the first time my car alarm hasn't randomly gone off in over two weeks. I can also lock & unlock my car with the key fob now (first time in weeks).
    Two things I noticed as I mopped up the water. First there is a small pinhole drain near the bottom of the "water tray" at the very end of the passenger
    side windshield wiper. That was clogged; I took a large paper clip and cleared it out. Second, I noticed some rubber trim around the hood hinge had become
    unhooked from the metal at the top of the fender, I put it back into place. Hopefully both of those combined (along with removing all the water under
    the fuse box) will fix the problem. A big storm is about to dump on us, so I'll know pretty quickly if these actions remedy the problem or not...

But for other 2006 owners out there, if your car feels like it's been possessed by "Ghost in the Shell", you might want to check for water under that fuse box.
    I've seen dozens of mentions of these type problems on the internet, but never seen a reasonable solution and I'm hoping mine might be a good fix.

Just wondering if you had any more trouble with this?
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Indeed. I've been watching the water pour like a water fall onto the wiring harness over the past few weeks of heavy rain here in Seattle. Turns out the water also runs from the drain tray in the roof and a good bit makes it into the area under the wiring harness.

Taking it to the dealer today to see what they say, but I don't hold out high hopes.

Oh when it did dry out some and wasn't wet, I poured water on the roof. The water ran down the front right into the wiring harness and all the problems cropped up again immediately. Is that wiring harness supposed to be completely taped up? Mine is missing a good bit of tape/plastic insulation, which seems like a design flaw if it comes that way, or some critter chewed it off, or mine was just never wrapped adequately at the factory.

Thanks,
    --Wayne

Make sure the drain holes on the front right and left corners of the moon roof drain channels are cleared for drainage.
    2005 EXL

Djdj

What did the Dealer do?

I found the solution for my problem. I have 2008 Honda odyssey Touring with the same symptom. all the lights and alarm activates whenever it rains and I have to run for taking out the fuse. I found the problem in the rear right side, the PCB where the trailer wire harness gets connected was getting wet from the water seepage. The wetness was creating short circuit and was the root cause of the problem. I bought silicon sealant and applied it to the rubber tube connected on the right side pillar (the black rubber tube bellow on right pillar top side while opened the trunk door) . for doing so I pulled out the tube and applied good quantity of sealant there and applied some more after putting it back. also I packed the PCB in polythene now it is one year and the problem never came back.
    Hopefully it may help you also.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12