Dead battery in rain...relays clicking. Please help.
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead battery in rain...relays clicking. Please help.

Dead battery in rain...relays clicking. Please help.

I bought a 2006 EXL about 3 months ago for my pregnant wife. Recently i noticed the alarm going off in the middle of the night when it rains. I disconnected the hood switch hoping to solve the problem. The next night the alarm still went off. ( switch is still disconnected) Ive settled on just leaving it unlocked for the time being, however now ive discovered that the battery dies whenever it rains. ( Battery dies even if van is not driven or started in rain, just sitting, has also died from morning dew) The last time it rained and the alarm went off i went out and sat in the van. Ive noticed the interior lights come on and off and flicker, and that there is a series of fast clicking coming from what sounds like relays behind the dash, as well as a clicking in the rear ( possibly overfuel tank) and one coming from under the hood. (van off & key out) With the van off and key out the green key dash light also flashes. The clicking continues with the key in the iginition, and turned to the ACC position. As soon as the key is turned to "run" it stops. Ive also noticed that the clicking will stop if i open the driver door, but starts again as soon as i close it. It continues if i open the pass, or sliding doors. When i open the sliding door, ( rain or sunny) the interior light and dash light wont come on, but when it rains and the doors are closed it will show open if i turn the key on. Ive also noticed durring rain and clicking the doors will not lock with the van off, using either the key fob or the interior door lock. As soon as I start the van the doors lock fine. IF any one has any ideas or suggestions it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My immediate thought would be to use a garden hose on each door and windshield one at a time and narrow down location. I'll get a diagram of the door circuits posted on here soon.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
    2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K
    Muzzled VCM - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PostalTech View Post
    My immediate thought would be to use a garden hose on each door and windshield one at a time and narrow down location. I'll get a diagram of the door circuits posted on here soon.

What would i be looking for? A bad door sensor? Would that somehow cause the relays to be going off? Also why the windshield, I do know when its windy i hear a windshield air leak.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Bingo. There are fuse boxes under the dash. If the windshield is leaking, this could cause the relays to get wet and temporarily find a path to ground. Is the floor wet at all? Check for green crusties (corrosion) in the fuse box.
    Congratulations by the way. We just picked up an 06 exl as well for our new twins.

2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K

The MICU controls the doors and is located in the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side

2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K

Im about I get off work and I'll go check the floor for wetness. Is there only one fuse box on the drivers side? Any on passenger? What's the MICU? Thanks for all your help by the way postal

I don't know what Honda's definition of the MICU, but it controls the doors. When the relays click, the control side is finding a path to ground and pulls in or clicks the switch on the load side. There are fuse boxes on both sides near the floor. They are labeled.

2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K

Ok so floorboard is completely dry. Fuse boxs clean and look like new. Not seeing any leaks on windshield. Jumped car off and rain has let up. Notice that as I sit in car not seeing green key flashing anymore. Doors won't lock though. Remote will unlock,
    And open both sliding doors, but won't lock. Door lock button works to unlock but won't lock as well
    Last edited by Thumpinhard25; 03-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Once the car is dried off and the battery charged, I'd still have someone inside listening while someone outside sprays the car down with water and listen for the relays to start clicking. Attached are the door wiring diagrams to help you troubleshoot further.

door-locks-1-of-3.pdf
    door-locks-2-of-3.pdf
    door-locks-3-of-3.pdf
    2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K

Quote Originally Posted by PostalTech View Post
    Once the car is dried off and the battery charged, I'd still have someone inside listening while someone outside sprays the car down with water and listen for the relays to start clicking. Attached are the door wiring diagrams to help you troubleshoot further.

door-locks-1-of-3.pdf
    door-locks-2-of-3.pdf
    door-locks-3-of-3.pdf
    Postaltech first thanks again for all your help. So I tore into the van yesterday for 7 hours. Ive removed most of the interior plastic and paneling Couple questions for you
    1.)What controls power to the accessories when the key is removed? ( for example how the windows will roll up immediatly after turning the car off.)
    2.) What controls the power door locks? Is there a safety switch so that the doors will not lock if a sliding door is open.?
    3.) What powers the throttle body ( is it an electric TB,)

So, i discovered that at some points, the rear AC ( by back hatch ) relay is clicking by itself. Othertimes, it will click and so will relays under the drivers dash, and pass dash, as well as the Throttle body opening and closing rapdily. (loud clunking, disconnecting main electrical harness at TB verified it.)
    - All fuse panels and relays are dry as can be, with no corrosion. Everything works compeltely fine with the key on, but goes nuts with the Key off hence question 1.
    - Relays clicking would start and stop when i opened drivers door, (released door switch.) I replaced drivers door switch and no change.
    -Over head lights stay on all the time, unless turned to off position.
    - Door locks are now not working. With remote, every now and than it will unlock but will never lock. With door lock switch on door, doors will almost always unlock but hardly lock. ( door locks work fine 100% with van running. ) ( remote opens and closes sliding doors 100% time. ) Also i noticed in the dark, that the door lock button light is faintly flickering.
    - Rear wiper started going off on its own randomly. ( wiper switch in off position, van running.)
    - The green key light is flashing on dash intermittenly, without the key in van. As well as it sometimes does not reconize the key, and i have to turn iginition off and back on.
    - AC also does not work. ( replaced relay no change) have not checked the charge on it yet.

Working in the rain last night, i had half the van in the garage and half in the rain. With the back half outside in the rain ( while i trouble shoot under the hood) in the garage, the relays were clicking, TB clicking, etc. With the back half out of the rain, and the front in the rain while i tore apart the rear, the clicking stopped, however door locks still dont operate, the lights remain on, and the green key still flashes. I have disconnected, the entire main harness to the rear hatch with no change however, and the inside of the rear hatch is completely dry.

It has to be something with what ever applies power with the key off. Love the garden hose idea, but unforuntatly cant wait that long. I have a baby due in less than a week so kind of in a crunch to get it done. Any thoughts on what it going haywire?

Is your alarm OEM or self installed?
    2005 EXL

Sorry. For the slow response. Got a new baby girl as of this morning. The alarm is the factory alarm. Battery was dead again this morning with everything in back disconnected.

Had a battery going dead do the same thing. Garage kept 2006 EXL-RES. Never wet for long. It was just the battery. Son came up to tell me the car alarm on the van was going off.
    Went down and had no idea why. Unlocked it to De-activate the alarm and then try to start it. All it did was set off the alarm again and no start. Went and bought a battery to install.
    Took out the old battery no issue at all. Hooking up the new battery, was another story. Alarm was active when removed. Still active when installing. So it goes off when again when
    tightening up battery connections. That was tough. Loud and kept scaring me every time I would contact power to re-install. New Battery installed. no more alarm.
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES Slate Green Metallic
    1997 Toyota Avalon XLS

Hidden Content

Congratulations daddy! Test the battery as the last comment said and report back. Didn't know that was possible.

2006 EXL w/ RES - 118K

Congrats.how old battery..?
    poor battery did this to me on ridgeline..all sorts of whacky things happen..over 3 years old change it...should see date code somewhere

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast