2005 valve cover gasket replacement
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2005 valve cover gasket replacement

2005 valve cover gasket replacement

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding valve cover gasket replacement. I've been searching for quite a while and can't find the procedure for a 2005.

I see some years need a type of silicone at the corners...does a 2005 need this?
    where is the best place to find torque and sequence for removal and replacement of valve cover bolts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If your van has a flat valve cover then no sealant is needed. If your van has raised portions on the cylinder head then you must use the liquid sealant. I remember some guy didn't put sealant on his van and it started leaking.

6-8 pound feet of torque for the valve cover bolts. Use a 1/4 ratchet and once they stop turning, thats it. Don't try to tighten it more. It cannot be tighten more and if you force it, it will snap. For the sequence, I'll try snapping a photo from the shop manual.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...djustment.html

2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

Torque sequence:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 valve cover gasket replacement-img_3559.jpg   2005 valve cover gasket replacement-img_3560.jpg  
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It's a pretty easy job until you get to removing the rear cover. The wiring harness goes over the top of it and it really makes it a chore to get the cover off. Also, changing the spark plug tube seals is pretty tough, as are the bolt seals. The bolt seals can be done using straight Dawn dishwashing soap but the spark plug tube seals come out pretty hard.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Thanks MrRanger and John for the info, links and tips. My parts are in and I'll be doing this next weekend and i'll post how I make out. Really appreciate the help.

JJ

I have a question: How do the spark plug seals go in? There are videos showing both ways...I have done this before and the trouble is that when you put them in down (like and upside down cup) they stick out through the gap between the valve cover and the spark plug tubes. The first time I tried to keep the part that stuck in between the two and when they slipped out, half of them were caught in there and cut when pinched.

This is important to me because I am doing this job, AGAIN, because the spark plug tubes leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007OdyTour View Post
    I have a question: How do the spark plug seals go in? There are videos showing both ways...I have done this before and the trouble is that when you put them in down (like and upside down cup) they stick out through the gap between the valve cover and the spark plug tubes. The first time I tried to keep the part that stuck in between the two and when they slipped out, half of them were caught in there and cut when pinched.

This is important to me because I am doing this job, AGAIN, because the spark plug tubes leaked.
    First, there is only one way those seals go in, pretty much the same way you see them when you pull the valve cover.
    I will attach a pic below.
    I can totally relate to the difficulty of putting valve covers back on and struggling to slip the seals onto tubes without destroying them.
    Things I tried are:
    1. oil - better than no oil but did not seem to help much
    2. silicon spray - it dissipates too quickly and this job requires time and patience
    3. Silglyde - this is the ticket, not only is this stuff the only thing I use on brake jobs, it works great for assisting to put the seals back onto tubes without cutting them.

So, apply a thin layer of silglyde onto the seal, place the cover over and then start at either end of the cover and gingerly, assist each seal to sit over the tube. Don't force anything. Dont use screwdrivers. I use my finger nail on my thumb to go around each seal and push it down. Works like a charm at takes fraction of time compared to previous methods I tried.

2005 valve cover gasket replacement-valve-cover.jpg
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

Maker of Max Muzzler with variable resistor, pm to purchase
    Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

I find the hardest part to be getting the old ones out. For whatever reason they are in there really tight.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Are there other gaskets worth replacing when replacing the cover gasket?
    I see leaks around the steering pump but not sure whether this is due to valve gasket or not.

DrD
    replace the gaskets/grommets on the bolts (many valve cover gasket kits will come with the two gaskets, the 6 spark plug tube gaskets, and the gaskets for the bolts) - as pointed out already, getting the spark plug tube gaskets out can be a bugger.

around the pump - is it oil or PS fluid leaking? could be the pressure line leaking, or the seals in the pump (it's pretty straightforward to pull it apart and replace the seals if that's the case)

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements