A pillar blind spot
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A pillar blind spot

A pillar blind spot

I found the A pillar on the driver side is really a dangerous blind spot. I almost hit two pedestrians in the parking lot within 2 weeks.

Does anyone have a similar experience or it’s just me?

DT
    06 Odyssey EX-L RES NAV
    01 Audi A6 2.7T
    99 Porsche Boxster
    97 BMW M3
    95 Acura Integra GSR

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance, but which is the A pillar? (I'm considering buying an '06 Ody.) Is it the one behind the driver's left shoulder on the rear of the vehicle?

"A" is the front pillar, for the windshield.

B is behind driver head, C behind second row...see a pattern??

I don't notice any problems with the Ody A-pillar, but I've been driving trucks/SUV's for years and you get used to looking around that spot. Just be extra careful while you "adjust".
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Blind spot???? Nothing special about that pillar at all to me.

I guess if you have driven a car all your life and went to a van it might be a bit different... That would be characteristic about ANY van or SUV.

I never EVER read on here about a single complaint reguarding the A pillars.

Tom

Alright... may be it's just me.

Yea, I've been driving cars all my life. The van's A pillar is much thicker than my previous cars.

Thanks for you guys input.

- DT
    06 Odyssey EX-L RES NAV
    01 Audi A6 2.7T
    99 Porsche Boxster
    97 BMW M3
    95 Acura Integra GSR

Being a car-only driver all my life before getting my Oddy I had the same difficulties at the beginning as well. It does take some getting used to, especially if you're not used to driving cars that large. It took me a good 3 months to get used to the van's dimensions and "quirks".

Originally posted by skinny2
    "A" is the front pillar, for the windshield.

B is behind driver head, C behind second row...see a pattern??

I don't notice any problems with the Ody A-pillar, but I've been driving trucks/SUV's for years and you get used to looking around that spot. Just be extra careful while you "adjust".
    This is a serious often overlooked problem. There are studies about this problem.
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-...348&EL=2577499
    http://www.safespeed.org.uk/smidsy.html

I attribute an accident I had with my 04 Sienna to this. I had been driving it for 2 years, and one time, I neglected to double/triple check around the passenger side A pillar and BINGO. Driver error? Sure. But it can happen, esp on the drivers side with pedestrians and bicycles.
    2006 Odyssey Touring RES/NAV Slate Green/Olive 2/14/06

2005 Corvette 6 speed Millenium Yellow/Ebony 2/20/05

2007 Q7 3.6 Premium 7 seats Tow Package 6/17/07
    Hidden Content

When I started driving minivans the biggest issue
    I had was judging where the car ends (especially when
    backing in)

(ok not a problem with the touring (camera))

I always ended about 5 feet away from someone
    elses bumper with the nose sticking out of the spot.

Listen every car will have its quirks, but with a little
    time and adjustment we get to love what we drive.
    Its just too bad that some people here have vans
    the seem to have many more mechanical issues
    than others.

Personally I love the darn thing. Its one of the most
    comfortable vehicles for long trips.

Tang6, I'm with you on this one. It was a big adjustment for me to make as well. It happened to me twice that I didn't see a car coming when I was at an intersection that is at a weird angle about to make a left onto a slow moving road. The first time it happened I was freaked out that a car had "appeared out of nowhere" as I started to turn. I had looked right twice before making the turn and know that I did not see the car before turning. I didn't know how I could possibly have missed seeing the car and wondered if the Japanese had invented "cloaking devices" - that car had just appeared out of nowhere!

Anyways, it wasn't until the second time it happened that I finally put two and two together and realized what had caused me to miss seeing the car. Thankful that I was not losing my mind, I later counted the seconds for a car to disappear and reappear from behind the "A pillar" at that intersection and it was 2.5 seconds. I now avoid that intersection and double and triple check and lean forward to look around the darn thing before turning!
    Last edited by CTmom1; 03-24-2006 at 10:50 AM.

It's not a problem with G3 Ody only but most modern vehicles especially light trucks/vans and cars with strong "roll cage" design.

Automakers have enlarged all pillars and cross beams that connect these pillars.

I've noticed harder to see forward tnx to lower inside rear view mirrors (larger cross beam connects top of A-pillars). I often bang my head getting in and out of Civic.
    Was: 2000 Odyssey LX
    Now: 2005 Civic LX 4D AT

I have a blind spot at the drivers A pilar but only because I have the window visor. I have been thinking of removing them because of this problem.
    2005 Ody EX-L OCEAN MIST BLUE 02/11/05 Hidden Content
    2002 CR-V Ex 4WD BLUE 03/12/02
    1965 Wife 03/31/00

I test-drove an '06 Ody EX-L RES yesterday for about 20 miles after posting to this thread and experienced no blind spots anywhere on the vehicle. I'm 5-foot-7, 5-foot-8 on a good day.

Thanks for your input.

But I think it's more dangerous rolling in the parking lots. Since you are not doing stop-check-n-go, you are moving. And most pedestrians in the US NEVER look before they cross the road. They just assume drivers will yield the way regardless. (Or they will get millions of dollars by suing the driver and retire early...)

- DT

Originally posted by CTmom1
    Tang6, I'm with you on this one. It was a big adjustment for me to make as well. It happened to me twice that I didn't see a car coming when I was at an intersection that is at a weird angle about to make a left onto a slow moving road. The first time it happened I was freaked out that a car had "appeared out of nowhere" as I started to turn. I had looked right twice before making the turn and know that I did not see the car before turning. I didn't know how I could possibly have missed seeing the car and wondered if the Japanese had invented "cloaking devices" - that car had just appeared out of nowhere!

Anyways, it wasn't until the second time it happened that I finally put two and two together and realized what had caused me to miss seeing the car. Thankful that I was not losing my mind, I later counted the seconds for a car to disappear and reappear from behind the "A pillar" at that intersection and it was 2.5 seconds. I now avoid that intersection and double and triple check and lean forward to look around the darn thing before turning!
    Last edited by tang614; 03-24-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    06 Odyssey EX-L RES NAV
    01 Audi A6 2.7T
    99 Porsche Boxster
    97 BMW M3
    95 Acura Integra GSR

Originally posted by tang614
    Alright... may be it's just me.

Yea, I've been driving cars all my life. The van's A pillar is much thicker than my previous cars.

Thanks for you guys input.

- DT
    It is not just you. I find myself looking through the door window
    when I go around coners becuase of the blind spot.
    2015 Ody Touring Elite Smoky Topaz

No, it's not just you.
    Those pillars are very large and require triple checking at all times.
    05 EX-L/ Nav/Res Sagebrush Pearl/Ivory

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast