How much transmission fluid will raise from low hole to high hole on dipstick ?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: How much transmission fluid will raise from low hole to high hole on dipstick ?

How much transmission fluid will raise from low hole to high hole on dipstick ?

'05 ody. 205K miles. EX, no VCM.

My transmission fluid was very low -- below the bottom hole but still visible on dipstick. I am adding fluid through a hose through the dipstick. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere in the forum, I failed searching the forum, and could not find the answer there or in the owners manual.

How much fluid is needed to raise the fluid level from the lower hole to the upper hole? A quart? a few ounces? two quarts ?

I am not trusting the dipstick to tell me how much to add since I am adding through the dipstick neck via a hose. I am afraid it will read false high.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DrD
    For oil, it's usually a quart between high and low - not entirely sure for the transmission, but I would guess it's more like a half quart (based on how much higher it goes if you overshoot by a fraction of a quart when adding)

For adding, rather than going through the dipstick hole, I would recommend the fill plug which is on the top of the transmission (the plug has "ATF" embossed on it) - I'd add a quarter or third of a quart, then drive it a bit and check it - if it's still too low, add a bit more.

There are also some pretty detailed directions on here from other users as to when, exactly, one should check the tfluid reading (I don't recall the procedure off hand) and this may effect what your levels appears to be at.
    2006 Silver Ex L with 100k
    new transmission
    1999 Suburban K2500 454

2004 Scion xB 5spd (sold)
    2006 Scion xA 5spd (sold)
    2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 (sold and missed)
    2001 Nissan Pathfinder (sold)
    1999 Ford Expedition 5.4 (totaled)
    1977 K5 Blazer 350, 6" suspension lift (sold)
    1994 Acura Legend 6spd (sold)
    1991 Toyota Camry (given away, perished)
    1987 Toyota Tercel Hatchback 5spd (given away, perished)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

ATF check procedure:
    1. Engine warmed up (by driving, so the transmission is warm too)
    2. Engine off
    3. Parked on level ground
    4. Check level 60 to 90 seconds after shutting off the engine.
    5. Level should be between the dots.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements