Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Pipe C (ATF) replacement 2008 EX-L

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DennisDragon 
#1 ·
In north east (MA) we have winters which comes with salt on the roads and brings the best out of our cars. Seems one of the common issues (according service department at Boch Honda) for older cars is Pipe C (ATF) (25210-RGL-A00) rusting and starting to leak transmission oil which happened to me as well. I decided to replace it as I thought it would be easy job , but bolts which holds pipe c would not come off and just spins...... So after struggling for an hour I just broke old pipe off put new pipe one used tie raps to keep it in place. Anybody had this experience and have any suggestions how to remove those bolts without removing ..... radiator ?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Old post, but this is the exact same issue I'm running into today on my wife's 2007 EX-L. The bolt to the left of the lower radiator hose is just spinning around on me. It almost looks like it's screwed into plastic, but it's hard to get a good luck under there. I haven't got to the point of breaking it off or cutting the old bracket yet, but I'm getting close... Decided to take a break and come at it again tomorrow. Hopefully round two will have a different outcome.

#4 ·
So I found something on amazon in the reviews of one of the ATF c pipe that was really helpful. The guy stated that he had a problem taking out the old pipe so he just put the new one on with the old one still there. So I changed mine out today after getting the part from a local dealer for 28 dollars. Stopped at harbor freight and picked up hose pliers and 90 degree angled pliers -both with long handles and everything went smooth except trying to get the hose clips off the bracket on the original pipe. I ended up cutting them out with my wife's yard clippers. Once those clips were cut I could move the other hose out of the way enough to thread in new pipe right next to old one. Hose pliers worked great and both side of hose came out easy. Since the van has 240K on it, instead of trying to figure out a way to fasten it to frame I zip tied the new one to the old one. Definitely saved me a ton of time.

#6 ·
I know this is an old post but any help would be greatly appreciated. Question is, was there lots of transmission fluid spilling out when the hoses were pulled? What did you do to stop the fluid from emptying out? Or did you drain the transmission fluid before you pulled those hoses off? Thank you for any help you may provide. I am about to do the job in he coming days.

#10 · (Edited)
I have done this Pipe C replacement before. I did not drain the fluid. Little fluid will spill out, and will slowly drip out while you work. Be sure to find something to plug 2 rubber hoses that the pipe connects to, point them up.

Similar to OP, what I had trouble is removing the pipe itself. Since you are replacing this pipe, I'm assuming you live in an area where road salt is used and everything is very rusty. There are 2 bolts holding Pipe C, the bolts are screwed onto nuts built into the plastic radiator. Be careful, use lots of penetrating oil and have lots of patience. Be sure not to crank on the bolts too hard, or you will break the plastic. If you break the plastic, the nut will spin with the bolt and you will never get the bolt off unless you remove the entire radiator (Ask me how I know). Try loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten... technique, spray lots of penetrating oil and pray you don't break anything.

Be sure to top off with fresh fluid after pipe replacement. Good luck!!!

Reactions: kernel
#7 ·
Rather than worrying how much ATF would spill- consider including a drain and fill along with your pipe repair. This would be good maintenance if you never did it before. Drain the ATF, replace your Pipe C, refill however much came out.

#9 ·
Only 1 drain and fill? Or 3X? And before that when was the transmission fluid changed? :unsure:
Regardless, I think it's false economy to worry about draining the ATF. Drain it, repair it and fill it. Then there's no need to worry about another drain and fill until at least 30k miles from now- or longer depending on the schedule you choose to use.:)

Reactions: Odyssey.owner
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.