High mileage 2005 with broken timing belt - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: High mileage 2005 with broken timing belt

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by OdyinNH View Post
    I was wondering that too, OEM should go more than 4 years but maybe the tensioner failed or something similar. It would be nice to know what was replaced at the 105k service and with what brand of parts.

    Muzzler yes, I added one to my 07 at 185k. Now closing in on 200k and it runs better than it did before the muzzler and no longer uses much oil.
    -----
    Aisin (Toyota) makes kits for timing belt, water pump etc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I used it in my 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES. It is OE quality.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by mir2k View Post
    Replace engine, used low mileage!

    A few options just in case: https://www.lkqonline.com/2005-Honda...ly/-m100k-120k

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    On the VCM issue I have been conflicted with the issue. Many here would advocate for muzzling it. It's just that I haven't had any issues and right or wrong I believe changing the oil with full synthetic every 5K keeping the engine very clean has contributed to that.
    I have posted this before but repeating for another data point: Have an '05 with 345K that has never been muzzled. Burns around a quart every 2,500K miles depending on average RPMs (higher turns burn more). Oil changes come every 5K with a top grade filter and dino 5W-20 MaxLife until 325K; switched to 5W-30 during summer months. Also add a pint of Rislone high mileage engine treatment which quiets light valve tick. Rear bank plugs are a little darker than fronts but not excessively oily. Idle is buttery smooth, no perceptible loss of power, still rocking low-to-mid 20's on the highway. May have just got lucky but me thinks the enthusiast community paints an overly dark picture of VCM perils.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Registered User Maxtierney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    124
    My 2006 Touring has 280,000 miles. No muzzler for me, as well. Timing belt was changed twice. First time at 110K miles. Second time at 260K miles. No issues with the tranny, power steering, brake, cooling, electronics, sliding doors, etc. Solid as day one. Just took it on a 2,000 mile trip to Vancouver and back, a few weeks ago. Cheapest oil and filters for me, without issues. Everything else is Honda only parts and fluids, except for the timing belt. I prefer the Gates Kevlar Reinforced
    Blue Racing Belts over Aisin or OEM. A little more expensive, but have way better construction and durability. Proven to last 150K miles between changes on three separate vehicles. 1997 Integra, 2002 Civic and now my 2006 Odyssey. All at or near 300K miles.

  7. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    103
    What to do could depend on whether you are a shade-tree mechanic, or you want to become one. Lotsa people on this forum do their own work.

    Take the engine apart and look for yourself, and you'll learn something. You have nothing to lose but some time at this point. Maybe the cylinder heads are rebuildable? I think $2500 for an engine swap is too high, and this is too much to spend on this vehicle.

    Plan on two used cylinder heads, a head bolt set, a timing belt kit and a head gasket kit, coolant, maybe a seal or two. And a service manual from Helm, Inc? Check out Rockauto.com for the gaskets. etc. You might get it running again for $1000.

    Used engines start at about $500 on eBay. I think the 2005 and 2006 are interchangeable, but check it out. Be sure your PCM (engine and transmission computer) will work with the engine you end up with. Someone else on this forum will know about this. You can figure that both cylinder heads will need replacement because there will be bent valves in both heads. A complete engine may cost less than a pair of cylinder heads, particularly if you find one locally.

    FYI, I had a 2000 Odyssey with 250k. The cylinder heads & valves (compression checked) were good. I changed the oil regularly, changed the timing belt/water pump as recommended, replaced a few other parts on the engine for a few dollars. A cow jumped in front of the car and totaled it. The insurance company valued it at $1500. The car was pretty clean for the mileage. I could have repaired it for about $1200 or maybe less. I might have sold it for $3k or $4k before the cow encounter. Instead of fixing the damage, I bought a new one.

    If I bought a Honda product used, I would change the timing belt unless I knew the timing belt was within its 105k service life.

    Good luck!

  8. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    13,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey126 View Post
    I have posted this before but repeating for another data point: Have an '05 with 345K that has never been muzzled. Burns around a quart every 2,500K miles depending on average RPMs (higher turns burn more). Oil changes come every 5K with a top grade filter and dino 5W-20 MaxLife until 325K; switched to 5W-30 during summer months. Also add a pint of Rislone high mileage engine treatment which quiets light valve tick. Rear bank plugs are a little darker than fronts but not excessively oily. Idle is buttery smooth, no perceptible loss of power, still rocking low-to-mid 20's on the highway. May have just got lucky but me thinks the enthusiast community paints an overly dark picture of VCM perils.
    A couple of things to bring up with regard to this:
    The 05-07 vans had VCM1 a much simpler system. Also, those vans did not have the experimental low friction piston rings.

  9. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    13,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtierney View Post
    My 2006 Touring has 280,000 miles. No muzzler for me, as well. Timing belt was changed twice. First time at 110K miles. Second time at 260K miles. No issues with the tranny, power steering, brake, cooling, electronics, sliding doors, etc. Solid as day one. Just took it on a 2,000 mile trip to Vancouver and back, a few weeks ago. Cheapest oil and filters for me, without issues. Everything else is Honda only parts and fluids, except for the timing belt. I prefer the Gates Kevlar Reinforced
    Blue Racing Belts over Aisin or OEM. A little more expensive, but have way better construction and durability. Proven to last 150K miles between changes on three separate vehicles. 1997 Integra, 2002 Civic and now my 2006 Odyssey. All at or near 300K miles.
    I have a theory that vans used mostly for long trips have less issues than ones used to run kids around suburbia with the VCM kicking in and out constantly. But mostly it's Honda and their silly piston rings.

  10. #23
    Registered User ashirm98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    277
    Definitely get the muzzler, I just installed this past weekend and it seems to be helping in terms of driving comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    The local used parts yard is going to offer you more than anyone else unless you are interested in parting it out yourself. There are enough changes from 2005-2010 (despite very similar cosmetic appearance) that it may not be worth keeping the '05 as a parts donor unless you have plenty of storage. The only sensible option to keeping the '05 would be to find a donor motor that would cost you less than $2,500 installed, but then only if you were really comfortable that you weren't coming up on a transmission or other major repair issue.

    On the VCM issue I have been conflicted with the issue. Many here would advocate for muzzling it. It's just that I haven't had any issues and right or wrong I believe changing the oil with full synthetic every 5K keeping the engine very clean has contributed to that.

    I'm also interested in knowing if the TB had ever been changed. I've heard of these engines making it to 150-200K without being changed, but not really beyond that.
    My uncle has never changed the TB on his 07, he's at almost 240k miles with no effects of the timing belt or tensioner wear. At this point, he doesn't care to spend 1k+ to replace the belt

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  11. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1
    I have a 2005, in need of passenger rear door actuator and top belt trim. the chrome piece on top of the sliding door. pm me if you want to sell either or both and I can pay for shipping to Cali. Unless someone knows where I can get those cheap new.

  12. #25
    Registered User celicool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by calhiker View Post
    I have a 2005, in need of passenger rear door actuator and top belt trim. the chrome piece on top of the sliding door. pm me if you want to sell either or both and I can pay for shipping to Cali. Unless someone knows where I can get those cheap new.
    You probably need to specify left or right side as I don't think they are interchangeable for both of those two items
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

  13. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    18
    Following some advice above, I looked up the Aisin timing belt kit at Rock Auto.

    It's an AISIN TKH002 (for a 2006 EX) and the belt is listed as "Mitsuboshi Timing Belt".
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...09&jsn=2&jsn=2

    Shouldn't it be Aisin brand, or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Bart57266; 03-27-2019 at 06:19 PM.

  14. #27
    Registered User John Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart57266 View Post
    Following some advice above, I looked up the Aisin timing belt kit at Rock Auto.

    It's an AISIN TKH002 (for a 2006 EX) and the belt is listed as "Mitsuboshi Timing Belt".
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...09&jsn=2&jsn=2

    Shouldn't it be Aisin brand, or am I missing something?
    Unitta and Mitsuboshi are both OEM manufacturers. Mitsuboshi is an excellent quality belt. The bearings in the Aisin kit are Koyo which is the OEM brand, as well. From what I've read, Aisin makes the water pump and tensioner for Honda.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

  15. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    13,296
    When I bought the kit from Rock Auto for my 02, the belt was a Mitsuboshi. I think I ordered the same brand drive belt(s)? too. It's a matter of one company making "hard parts" and another making rubber parts.

  16. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    18
    Thank you, John and egads!

  17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-03-2017, 12:47 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
  3. timing belt: 2007 Odyssey: timing belt or chain?
    By alanwebb in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
  4. High mileage Ody - Full Synthetic or High Mileage oil?
    By Tripitaka in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM
  5. Who has broken a timing belt?
    By NEOH1 in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2