High mileage 2005 with broken timing belt
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High mileage 2005 with broken timing belt

High mileage 2005 with broken timing belt

Hello, our 2005 odyssey with 230k miles lost the timing belt we were trying to push it since it has high mileage and was using a lot of oil ,so at his point we are looking at a 2010 with 74k on and i will probably just part out the 05 or sell it as is . SO My question is what do you think the 05 is worth i don't know what damage has been done to the engine i really don't want to invest the money just to have it torn down to see what damage has been done. My second question is on the 2010 should i disable the VCM as i was not aware you could do this . We drive ALOT of miles but we really like the odyssey vans.Thanks for your advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If you had working van, it would not be worth much. With a failed engine, it's practically worthless. If you can part it out, you will get more.
    Engine repair would be above and beyond the value of the van at this point.

Now please satisfy my curiosity, was the tb ever changed and if so, at what mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

Maker of Max Muzzler with variable resistor, pm to purchase
    Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

The local used parts yard is going to offer you more than anyone else unless you are interested in parting it out yourself. There are enough changes from 2005-2010 (despite very similar cosmetic appearance) that it may not be worth keeping the '05 as a parts donor unless you have plenty of storage. The only sensible option to keeping the '05 would be to find a donor motor that would cost you less than $2,500 installed, but then only if you were really comfortable that you weren't coming up on a transmission or other major repair issue.

On the VCM issue I have been conflicted with the issue. Many here would advocate for muzzling it. It's just that I haven't had any issues and right or wrong I believe changing the oil with full synthetic every 5K keeping the engine very clean has contributed to that.

I'm also interested in knowing if the TB had ever been changed. I've heard of these engines making it to 150-200K without being changed, but not really beyond that.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If the 2010 is an EX-L or Touring then yes, you still want to muzzle it. Hence, trims below EX-L are not equipped with VCM. Then, you would likely need to do the TB job soon too if it still has the original timing belt. Look under Maxud's signature above as he is one of the makers of Muzzler.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

I concur with celicool - you definitely should muzzle the VCM if you buy a 2010 EX-L or Touring. You'd be foolish not to, as there is no downside in installing a muzzler. Also, your new 2010 will need a new timing belt kit soon. Get the Aisin kit. I too am curious how many miles you had on your failed timing belt?
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Keep in mind too, that if you can not deliver the vehicle to a junk yard yourself after parting it out, you may have to pay a substantial fee for them to come and get it as they would not be able to make money off of it. You'll sell all of the common parts that require replacing, the same parts the junk yards expect to sell before crushing, therefor there is no meat left on the bone for them.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L

Replaced first at 105k lasted to 230k or 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by haydenpage View Post
    Replaced first at 105k lasted to 230k or 4 years
    So next question, OEM belt or aftermarket?
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    So next question, OEM belt or aftermarket?
    I was wondering that too, OEM should go more than 4 years but maybe the tensioner failed or something similar. It would be nice to know what was replaced at the 105k service and with what brand of parts.

Muzzler yes, I added one to my 07 at 185k. Now closing in on 200k and it runs better than it did before the muzzler and no longer uses much oil.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Please spill all beans. It helps others to know the particulars. Like who did the timing belt? Was it a complete service with all the required parts?
    Also, do let us know what model of 2010 you bought.

OP: sorry we are focused on your failed TB. It’s rare on this forum to actually hear about this happening because I think most people here know the risk of not following the recommended interval for the TB. The fact that your belt failed at 125,000 miles reinforces the need to replace it (and the other TB components) every 100,000 miles or 10 years. It’s all about risk one is willing to take. Best wishes on your new Odyssey.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

DrD
    I agree with others that the value is right about nothing - if the interior and other small parts are in good shape, then you can make some money selling parts, but parting out a vehicle is more work than you might think (disassembly take time as you pull parts, finding buyers takes time - if you have to ship parts, that takes time and effort - particularly for larger parts, etc.). When we were getting rid of our van, an 05 EX with 282k miles on it, book value was right around 800 for a private sale, and that was in a van with all maintenance records since new, engine was strong/good compression, transmission was working well, etc. - for a blown engine it's worth about nothing unless you part it out.

When the belt was replaced at 105k miles, was it just the belt, or were the idlers, tensioner, and water pump also replaced? Would be interesting to see what failed, or caused the failure. I never gamble with an interference engine, but I do my own work, so the cost is a whole lot less than for someone that does not, and I get that.

Sorry i have been slow to respond was out looking at vans .We pulled the trigger on a 2010 touring with 95k on it.TB is getting changed and sliding door is being repaired next week.As far as the 2005 I'm not sure if the TB was after market to not the work was done at a shop that works on all makes not a honda dealer or make specific shop.After driving newer vans I'm convinced that our tranny was heading south so i have no regrets on parting ways with the 05.Going to bring the 05 home and tear into motor and see what failed i have plenty of room for it .

Sounds to me like the independent shop probably used a Gates kit or some other off brand. Do NOT use anything except the Aisin kit or genuine Honda parts. The Aisin kit is the OEM manufacturer so it's the same stuff as genuine Honda for a fraction of the cost. I will not do a timing belt on one of these using anything other than Honda or Aisin parts.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Replace engine, used low mileage!
    mh

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast