Ticking getting louder
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticking getting louder

Ticking getting louder

Ok the ticking (rapid sounding) coming from under the van. I notice this under low speed acceleration when i either stick my head out the window or hear sound coming off a curb or side of a building. I can't seem to figure out what it might be. I can make the van do the noise while standing still by leaving my foot on the brake while placing the van in drive and pressing slightly on the accelerator...................anyone have a clue???

A.N.C.???

Motor mount????

V.C.M.?????

I am puzzled...............drives normal if you press on the gas normally it does not do it.........just under VERY light acceleration.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

rock in tire.
    '10 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    '08 Suzuki Hayabusa-SOLD
    '08 Ody Touring
    + stealthcord.com and V1
    + xenondepot.com phillips 4300k kit
    + Huper Optik tint on ALL windows
    + Hidden Content
    + Superbright LEDs
    + VentureShield Clear Bra
    + Weathertech floorliners and
    cargo liner

forginen matter in the fan belt?
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

nO WAY

No way to either suggestion..............sounds like a rapid spark ..........I am starting to think it is a valve of some type.....

I am starting to think it is a valve of some type
    Agreed, in fact excessive clearance in either an intake or exhaust valve. Engine noise during hard acceleration may be masking the noise in that situation. How many miles on the van? Has the clicking been there since new? Have you consulted the dealer?
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

S.P.P. (Standard Posting Procedure)
    Please post your mileage and year of Ody !!!
    -Rob-
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS/1992 Mazda Miata
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

did you find a solution to your problem?

Not yet..................11,000 miles on the van........i think it is the valve train...........i am making an appointment for the dealer.......i will update after i get it in there.

Originally posted by rjkleiner
    Not yet..................11,000 miles on the van........i think it is the valve train...........i am making an appointment for the dealer.......i will update after i get it in there.
    can you read my post and see if you think this is similar problem

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=35226

And the mechanic says...........

Honda dealer this morning...............Master honda Mechanic listened to the ticking and put the car up in the air with tech in vehicle..........recreated the sound and listened with a listening device......after an hour of checking this and that he said .................................valve train rear head ..............he was not sure what was wrong just that he has to tear down both heads and check everything..................he said he has heard of this on the Ridgeline..........but this is the first Odyessy he has seen...................they sent me home with the vehicle and said it was ok to drive...............will be back to drop off for a couple days and then i will find out exactly what is wrong in there........the mechanic feels that a valve is sticking..............a rental car will be provided only because of Honda Care Warranty.

And FYI the mechanic made note to honda tech support that the vehicle had a Fram oil filter on it.........my first thought was oh **** they are going to blame the filter!!!!!.......not the case, the Mechanic said that that is not a factor and he uses Fram filters on his vehicles................However, if you buy the Honda Oil FIlter they can not point a finger at the aftermarket filter............so I will be using honda filters from now on....................just FYI.

so it's pretty much happening all the time? mine has not done anything since that night.

I told my wife to listen out for the noise, if she hears it let me know.

Well it only does it at about 1000 rpm......with load on the engine

Just got the call my van is ready.......................service advisor stated that all the valves were loose..............they put them back to factory specs and changed the oil and filter...................i will speak to the mechanic personally tomorrow morning and then let you all know what he said..................it seems we have a problem with some of the vans......honda tech support told the mechanic what was wrong over the phone...............keep your ears on your engines!!!!

Talked to the mechanic today and he stated that all the valves were loose................to much clearance...........he put all back to factory specs and the ticking is gone.

He said that the valves were probably always out of spec from the factory..........he said i should notice the difference since they were 4-5 thousands out of spec.

He did an oil change and filter change as a precaution from possible dirt from having the valve covers off and added some BMG treatment.................anyway I wonder how many vans out there are running around with loose valves.

Thanks for posting a follow-up. I will definitely be keeping my ears open.
    06 Odyssey EX - Slate Green/Grey Cloth

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast