Transmission lines and magnefine filter
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Transmission lines and magnefine filter

Transmission lines and magnefine filter

2008 EXL

At long last I'm going to install this magnefine filter on the tranny line.

There is one line from the driver side of the radiator another one from the center of the radiator, both going to the transmission, I'd like to install it on the return side after the cooler. So to avoid hassle of disconnecting and squirting ATF all over me, does anyone know which line on the 08 is the return?
    2008 EXL, Purchased @145,000 miles, Fitted OEM Aisin timing belt kit & water pump, Tranny Valvoline Maxlife 3x change, then onto Amsoil multivehicle, VCM Muzzler fitted, Brakes-fluid flushed all round, Penzoil Platinum plus 5w/20, NAPA (Wick) Platinum oil filter, Air filter, Phillips 9012LL/HIR11LL 12v 55w lowbeam bulbs (modified bases to fit = twice as bright!) Aerospace 303 Protectant on plastics as recommended by Honda NOT Armorall which damages! Magnefine inline filter on transmission line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps post #9 in this thread will help you:

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...venol-atf.html

It indicates that the transmission fluid return on a 2005 is from the driver's side hose. (Other model years may be different.)
    Last edited by thscott; 01-30-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by mashley View Post
    2008 EXL

At long last I'm going to install this magnefine filter on the tranny line.

There is one line from the driver side of the radiator another one from the center of the radiator, both going to the transmission, I'd like to install it on the return side after the cooler. So to avoid hassle of disconnecting and squirting ATF all over me, does anyone know which line on the 08 is the return?
    The shorter piece coming out of radiator, somewhere in the middle, is a return line.

To figure this out, I disconnected the rubber hose, and attached another longer hose to the radiator and the empty 1 gallon can, started the engine for 10 seconds, watched ATF pumping out into my empty jug. Didn't spill a drop.
    2010 Odyssey EX RES Canadian
    Bought @130K with preexisting trans problems
    DIYs:
    1.Timing belt with all related parts ( Continental kit ) + drive belt tensioner
    2. B&A Passenger side engine mount.
    3. Complete ATF change, DW1
    4. ATF changed to Valvoline MaxLife - slippage gone!
    5. Low beam bulbs replaced with 9012 HIR2. Twice more light!
    6. B&A control arms
    7. CENTRIC 12040064/12040065 Rotors, Akebono ProACT pads
    8. Magnefine ATF filter
    9. Lubegard Shudder Fix - better shifting

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The 07+ is different than the 05-06 and the 06's return line is the pass side one. I believe the 07+'s return line is on the driver's side.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...ml#post1332841
    Last edited by OdyMember; 01-30-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks for pointing out this model year difference. I edited my earlier post.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by OdyMember View Post
    The 07+ is different than the 05-06 and the 06's return line is the pass side one. I believe the 07+'s return line is on the driver's side.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...ml#post1332841
    Yeah, I was vacillating between the two for a while as I was copy/pasting to my notes from previous posts and it did seem to change sides at some point but I couldn't figure out what year exactly.
    Was leaning toward the shorter/driver side as the return, I will still disconnect and connect two clear hoses into a gallon container and see which way it flows just to be 100% sure. I'll post afterwards for the beneftit of the other op's.

Also slightly off topic the 2008 tranny is fairly reliable right? I seem to remember reading a thread back along where one of the op's had attached temp sensors on the tranny lines both into the tranny and out from and temps where well within safe range even in mountain type driving, anyone else recall reading or can confirm safe temps from an 08?
    I dont want to install a cooler if it's just not necessary.
    That op however did get very high temps from his power steering lines FYI concerning ones.
    2008 EXL, Purchased @145,000 miles, Fitted OEM Aisin timing belt kit & water pump, Tranny Valvoline Maxlife 3x change, then onto Amsoil multivehicle, VCM Muzzler fitted, Brakes-fluid flushed all round, Penzoil Platinum plus 5w/20, NAPA (Wick) Platinum oil filter, Air filter, Phillips 9012LL/HIR11LL 12v 55w lowbeam bulbs (modified bases to fit = twice as bright!) Aerospace 303 Protectant on plastics as recommended by Honda NOT Armorall which damages! Magnefine inline filter on transmission line.

Yeah, I was vacillating between the two for a while as I was copy/pasting to my notes from previous posts and it did seem to change sides at some point but I couldn't figure out what year exactly.
    Was leaning toward the shorter/driver side as the return, I will still disconnect and connect two clear hoses into a gallon container and see which way it flows just to be 100% sure. I'll post afterwards for the beneftit of the other op's.

Also slightly off topic the 2008 tranny is fairly reliable right? I seem to remember reading a thread back along where one of the op's had attached temp sensors on the tranny lines both into the tranny and out from and temps where well within safe range even in mountain type driving, anyone else recall reading or can confirm safe temps from an 08?
    I dont want to install a cooler if it's just not necessary.
    That op however did get very high temps from his power steering lines FYI concerning ones.
    Yes, the '07+ is significantly improved and I want to say that was OdyFamily that monitored his fluid temps under multiple scenarios coming to the conclusion that even lightly loaded traveling uphill the temps exceeded what would normally be ideal. Pretty sure that was on an '04 model, so the previous trans model. IMO, as long as you are not towing or loaded to max capacity on a regular basis a trans cooler isn't necessary. I see you are using Amsoil trans fluid so with the full synthetic fluid I think you are setting yourself up for much better than average chances of 250K+ on that trans. I just cracked 200K on my '07 that has had MaxLife in it since 115K and it shifts great.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

2001, installed magnefine filter, last year. Strange. When van was in for servicing, Mechanic pointed out inline tranny filter. Never knew there
    was one there. On 4th transmission. So not sure if Dealer (first rebuild), or AMCO (2nd rebuild), or independent Mechanic (3rd rebuild). Installed the filter.

Anyways, after reading many posts, on this site site. Replaced old tranny filter, with Magnefine. But appears the filter is installed before it goes into the radiator cooler. No problems so far. I guess it boils down to, does the filter work better hot, or a little cooler after leaving
    the radiator/cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by lozawa View Post
    2001, installed magnefine filter, last year. Strange. When van was in for servicing, Mechanic pointed out inline tranny filter. Never knew there was one there. On 4th transmission. So not sure if Dealer (first rebuild), or AMCO (2nd rebuild), or independent Mechanic (3rd rebuild). Installed the filter. Anyways, after reading many posts, on this site site. Replaced old tranny filter, with Magnefine. But appears the filter is installed before it goes into the radiator cooler. No problems so far. I guess it boils down to, does the filter work better hot, or a little cooler after leaving the radiator/cooler.
    Pkface and others thanks for all your input.

I seem to remember the reasoning behind the placement of the Magnefine before or after the tranny cooler was not for temperature considerations, but for the fact that the cooler will retain debris after use, so it is recommended before if a new trans cooler is in place or after if using existing cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by lozawa View Post
    2001, installed magnefine filter, last year. Strange. When van was in for servicing, Mechanic pointed out inline tranny filter. Never knew there was one there. On 4th transmission. So not sure if Dealer (first rebuild), or AMCO (2nd rebuild), or independent Mechanic (3rd rebuild). Installed the filter. Anyways, after reading many posts, on this site site. Replaced old tranny filter, with Magnefine. But appears the filter is installed before it goes into the radiator cooler. No problems so far. I guess it boils down to, does the filter work better hot, or a little cooler after leaving the radiator/cooler.
    Thanks everyone for all your input.

I seem to remember the reasoning behind the placement of the Magnefine before or after the tranny cooler was not for temperature considerations, but for the fact that the cooler will retain debris after use, so it is recommended before if a new trans cooler is in place or after if using existing cooler.

In the end I don't see the placement of the Magnefine filter making that much difference. It will filter whatever comes through until it is full and simply bypasses. Yes, having it before a brand new exterior cooler would keep that debris from entering the new cooler, for a time, but I don't know how anyone can possibly know how frequently it would need to be changed to keep up because obviously that depends on what kind of wear is going on internally.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Yep, I think you may be correct. I vaguely remember that too, after you refreshed my memory. I think, one long time poster mentioned he placed his magnefine filter before the cooler, cause it was easier to access.

Ok on my 2008 EXL

I can confirn that when lying on ones back under the vehicle the return transmission line comes from the lower center of the radiator ie the flow returns from the center of radiator back to the transmission .
    Sorry the pic isn't the best it's late and i'm tired and cant seem to find a better one.

Arrows pointing to circle marked A & C Attachment 146453
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transmission lines and magnefine filter-serveimage.jpg  
    Last edited by mashley; 02-21-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Ok on my 2008 EXL

I can confirn that when lying on ones back under the vehicle the return transmission line comes from the lower center of the radiator ie the flow returns from the center of radiator back to the transmission .
    Sorry the pic isn't the best it's late and i'm tired and cant seem to find a better one.

Arrows pointing to circle marked A & C Attachment 146453
    CORRECTION!

The return is the line on the left of the radiator (drivers side) the transmission fluid flows from the tranny into the center of the radiator and then out (cooled) from the left.

(on my 2008 EXL sorry for any confusion, Posted at 1.46am very tired!)

Last edited by mashley; 04-18-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Details with pics here for ATF lines:
    https://www.odyclub.com/forums/27-di...ml#post1689602

Also detailed thread on magnafine though the above one also works out. I did both cooler and magnafine at the same time.
    https://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-pe...tallation.html
    |-2008 Ody T [email protected]/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements