2008 Odyssey LX fair price?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2008 Odyssey LX fair price?

2008 Odyssey LX fair price?

What's a general fair price for a 2008 Odyssey LX? My 04 LX got smashed, so I am in a pinch for purchasing a replacement vehicle, but I don't want to overpay. I also don't want to spend a ton on a rental vehicle that could instead go towards a purchase. I was hoping to have a fancier van this time around. I just missed out on an 07 Touring for $4000, which I'm assuming is not a typical price because of all the extra features the Touring has compared with the LX. There's a just listed 08 LX with 139,000 for $5650 (Rhode Island area). I'm going for an 08-10 Odyssey of some sort. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

LX = great if you need a basic transport mode and nothing else--You don't even get rear tinted windows. The good news is that you will have super reliable/cost effective sliding doors as they are 100% manual.
    Last edited by celicool; 04-01-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

In general the LX and EX are better choices as you don't have the VCM engine and mount issues, as you do with the EXL and the Touring.

Whatever you buy, get a Carfax and a pre-purchase inspection.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If I could have got a cheap LX when I got my EXL I would have went that route. At this point the only thing I prefer not to live without is the sunroof and heated seats, those are still just luxuries. The rest...meh.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

If you are looking at a van 10 years old, make sure that you look at private sales on places like Craigslist. Lots of times you can find one owner vans on there that have been maintained that families have just outgrown or have no use for anymore, or maybe moving on to a newer model. People in this situation don't need to make a profit like a dealer or used car place needs to. I have purchased 3 older Odys now and they have all been great. Of course, you have to do your homework, records, carfax and so on because their are shysters out there. It helps a lot if you are handy and can fix things up because lots of times folks unload things with relatively minor issues that allow you to get a great deal. I have an '03 and an '07 Ody right now - EX and EX-L. I got the '03 for $1K three years ago with 144K on it. Buddy was moving up to a new van and was only going to get that for a trade in (less actually). I put on new struts and shocks, new tires and fluids and so on - had a great van ready to go for $2K and have put 75K on it now. '07, similar story, had a bad rear brake, passenger sliding door elec issue. $3200 and it rides beautifully, 200K miles, body is in great shape.

I think some of the best used car deals out there can be had on used minivans because there are so many and so many folks move up or just age out of them and they are not a 'cool' car that younger folks are seeking. With these used Odys, taken care of they can easily go to 300-350K miles.

if you DIY then choose one that has little body work. But anyway to buy from private seller must be very careful and takes your time to check as much as you can, if possible get to Honda asking check recall or so and get a free report. Car at 100K+ usually has motor mounts, control arm bushing, suspension, door handle and opening problem, radiator leak or other leak can be seen from bottom. Make sure to get carfax and OBD scanner check and no code there, of course w/o smog check DMV won't allow you change title.
    If you buy from dealer, I think they repaired as they get parts and labor cheap for themselves.
    Price is depends on model, condition, area, etc. hard to say, but lower than market should has reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by celicool View Post
    LX = great if you need a basic transport mode and nothing else--You don't even get rear tinted windows. The good news is that you will have super reliable/cost effective sliding doors as they are 100% manual.
    Good news is it DOES have rear tinted windows

I ended up getting the 2008 LX. I didn't have much time to ponder vehicles with my work schedule. It's in really good condition. CarFax report has service records for most of its life (all done at a Honda dealer). It started out as a rental (I think? It was commercial) but only for 11,000 or so, then it went to its human owner until recently when it got traded in and sold to the dealer, and then to me! Looks like they were fairly consistent with scheduled maintenance. I had to fix the climate control bulbs and put new wipers. The dealer did the rear brakes and is replacing TPMS sensors for me tomorrow. It's quite comfortable and with the third generation, they addressed all of my main complaints with the second gen (overly reflective dash, awkwardly placed shifter [so many times accidentally blasted the radio while shifting], and the little clown horn [which I replaced on my 04 with horns from my old Dodge], and I don't have to add my own AUX input to the radio!).

Welcome to Gen4 life. I really enjoy driving our 07.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k

????
    We are 3rd Generation, not 4th.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by thscott View Post
    ????
    We are 3rd Generation, not 4th.
    My mistake, my 4runner is 4th gen. Wrong forum on the brain.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k

it depends on area, mileage, body look, and whom from you buy. Cargurus or KBB act as reference. I got one on April on SFO area for $5000, 114K miles, and since then I changed all motor mounts, front lower control arms, sway bars, rear struts, the car is badly repaired by previous owner, for example, he uses after market rain wipper - would paid more - and threw away factory metal pieces on wipers, and after market mount - of course both have bad unacceptable quality.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements