A/C on/off switch check
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: A/C on/off switch check

A/C on/off switch check

Hi,&nbsp;<br>Looking for fast &amp; easy way to check A/C console switch is closing &amp; working properly <br>when console indicator reads 'A/C on".<br>2007 SE L.&nbsp;<br>THANKS.&nbsp;<br><br>

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

For wiring diagrams:

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Also, call your local library, as mine has pretty good car repair info online, with wiring and TSB's.

A/C switch

Thank you.
    the a/c compressor is not kicking in when I push a/switch. The display reads on, but no compressor.
    Last edited by LuckyDogg16; 04-04-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding comment

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

A very common failure item on our Odyssey's is the AC Clutch relay.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Would this also cause the compressor to wun even after the a/c switch is off?(sounds like it would)

I did switch the three relays in the fuse box under the hood. But I only went by the snowflake on the relay. There are 3. I just rearranged them. No change. I also tapped them several times with a rubber mallet.
    Maybe I got the wrong relay module.

Sounds like you probably checked the correct relay. If I recall correctly, the AC Clutch Relay (aka MG relay) is in the front center position. The other two identical relays are in the back row. Too bad the relay swap did not solve your problem. There may also be a AC compressor fuse to check.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Well, the relay positions are as u say. This has to be an switch/connection issue. What is now left as I see it is to remove the console cover & disconnect the 3 cables so I can statically test the a/c switch.
    All I need now is to define the proper pins to test it. At least that will prove or eliminate that item.

Any clues which pins I need to test?

There are lots of things that will cause the compressor clutch to not turn on when commanded. The lowest on the list of possibilities is the switch in the HVAC unit. The most common is low refrigerant in the system. The next most common is the relay, and the next most common after that is a bad magnetic clutch coil. You can also have a bad pressure switch, making the computer think it's low on pressure (or too high) when it's really not.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Hi John, thanks for the reply. Now I will check the refrigerant.
    FYI...In the past several months, the a/c would blow cold after starting engine or after driving. BUT the a/c switch was off. Eventually after some brainless fiddling, I got it to go off. But it blew very cold & worked fine, usually.
    Now - all of a sudden, nada, no compressor. I hate to spend money I do not have.
    I really need to nail this down without a shop charge.

Hoping to get this fixed before the super Georgia heat.
    Thanks again.

There are two sides to an AC system. You have the electrical side that turns the system on and off but you also have the mechanical & refrigerant side. You need to determine why the clutch isn't turning on. Is clutch receiving power but not turning on? That would indicate a bad clutch. Is the clutch not receiving power? That would indicate another issue and then we'll need determine if the relay is being commanded on or if an input to the computer is to blame (low pressure in the system.)
    2012 VW Passat-Black

I should have time this weekend to test the plug-in at the clutch.
    What a tight space.
    But would a diagnostic test show this?

Thanks

What kind of diagnostic test? You have to test this stuff and it can be a little tricky. Just because the HVAC unit says "AC ON" doesn't mean the compressor will be on, even when it's working normally. You have to know when it should be on. If the engine idles up a bit and fans turn on when the AC is called for but the compressor doesn't run that is an indication the clutch might be bad. If the engine never idles up and the radiator fans don't turn on when you call for AC then that indicates an input problem, like low pressure in the system.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Okay. I checked all I can except the freon level. I am needing guages. So I can just get a diagnostic test at a shop in town.
    Just too many items in the system. I think I will just do that.
    Then I will know for sure.

Thanks again.

P.S. the dealer wants $798 USD To replace the clutch & refill the system w/freon. Just called out of curiosity. They will provide the free diagnostic test if they do the work. Or they want 99 bucks just for the test.

If you don't know how to test this stuff then the $99 for the diagnostic is worth the money spent.

They want $800 because they don't replace just the clutch. They replace the entire compressor.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Thanks John, I am disabled and have a limited ability & tools.
    I tried what I could & if the level of freon is good, then it will be worth the money.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements