AC Coolant Pressure - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC Coolant Pressure

When you can buy the condenser for less than $100, and sometimes even less than $50, it's just not worth every trying. These condensers can't even withstand the pressure they're built for, much less putting intense pressure in it to flush it. They are disposable condensers.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The HECAT uses about 1/3 of the A/C normal line pressure to do its work, and makes a tough job easy. Its great for those who don't want to remove everything and keep an otherwise serviceable condenser in situ (i.e., potential to keep labor and parts costs down). I ended up using it only for ATF cooler cleaning (my original goal).

At $90 for a Denso radiator, and about the same for a Denso A/C condenser, and given how easy it is to remove one on most late model Japanese cars, I can see why you'd replace it.

OF

By the time the compressor goes south, most condensers have taken their fair share of hits from large bugs and stuff. These clog and bend the fins, so reducing the condenser's efficiency.

Another reason to replace rather than to flush.

(I added a screen in front of mine, so it's still pretty much in pristine shape. Gen 2's condensers were highly vulnerable to road debris damage. I think Honda added a lower grille in later years to catch flying debris.)

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I added a screen to mine too but with the new one I didn't put it back. It does help keep the bugs and small gravel from getting stuck in it but the screen itself cuts down on air flow and, subsequently, heat removal. I think the AC works better without it. Do a test of air flow with a fan and a screen from your window and you'll feel the difference. I'm not convinced a screen is a good idea. Where I lived before, there was a major bug problem during the summer months where when you drove past the lake you got swarms of bugs (called Midges) that would plaster the front of your car, even to the point of pulling over and having to clean your windsheild--it was that bad. It wasn't uncommon to see a front bumper that looked fuzzy due to all the bugs. In that case, it was worth it to have the screen. In most circumstances, however, I don't think it's a good idea.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    It does help keep the bugs and small gravel from getting stuck in it but the screen itself cuts down on air flow and, subsequently, heat removal.
    Yeah, that's the downside of adding a screen. I estimated that it reduces air flow by a non-trivial 20%.

Part of my routine after a day of highway driving in the summer is to reach in and clean the screen of bugs. I certainly wouldn't want the screen to become even more restrictive due to the carcasses trapped in it.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

I use a screen on both Odysseys. I cannot detect any degradation of cooling or A/C performance. Is it degraded? A little. John and dave are correct, it has to be. However, I can't tell the difference. I've towed over 3,000 lbs. on a 110°F day through hills, and radiator & A/C have kept up, always...and when I tow, I'm monitoring my coolant temps using the ScanGauge.

My situation is pretty unique. Crappy roads, lots of road debris because I live in a farming region, and of course the mass quantities of insect life that goes with it.

My screen choice is black, heavy duty, fiberglass reinforced screening, and bugs really don't stick to it. To put it into perspective, without screens, cleaning the ATF cooler and/or A/C condenser fins was a laborious task, as the depth of those heat exchangers allowed the entire bug carcasses (by the thousands) to get jammed into the fins and stay there. Parts of my A/C condenser were fully blocked. Imagine some poor guy straightening each set of triangular fins....with a smooth jaw medical forceps....one...at....a.....time....by the hundreds. That was me.

I think bbylon5 brought this mod to our attention years ago. That good idea was all I needed! Screened both Odyssey grills, top & bottom, both vans.

For the most part, when bugs strike the screening, I swear it must act like one of these veggie choppers in ultra-fine cut-and-dice fashion:

AC Coolant Pressure-chopper.jpg

The bugs are instantly reduced to small bits that don't jam up the condenser. The ones that stick? They dry up and fall off within a day or so. After a springtime heavy rainfall, we can get enough bugs in the following week to force a night-time stop to clean the windshield after an hour of driving. I actually carry Windex, a roll of paper towels, and an ice scraper for that purpose It only happens once or twice a year, if it does happen, but when it does, visually speaking it's like driving through light snow at night when the high beams are on (except snow doesn't go "pop", "smack", or "bap" when each flake hits the windshield).

Also, the screen doesn't just stop bugs. It has successfully intercepted and stopped sharp, jagged rocks about half the size of a squash ball. These would have most certainly wrecked the condenser (or in my case, the Tru-Cool 4739 ATF cooler).

Just screened by Nissan Altima's grill. My daughter's 2013 Corolla S is next.

OF

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12