2005 Honda Transmission
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Honda Transmission

2005 Honda Transmission

Transmission has 207,000 miles on it. I want to take it on a trip that will entail 3000 miles. I think I’m starting to feel a little slippage between first and second gear . Fluid was changed 20,000 miles ago along with a clean filter put on the system. No slipping in any of the other gears. What say you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Do another drain and fill or two. Slippage will most likely go away with fresh fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Touring, Diamond Pearl White
    2005 EXL RES

+1, these things, fail very slowly, 3K is nothing, enjoy your trip.
    Odyssey EX-L 2005

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If you don't need the size of the van, and your concerned, rent a vehicle from Costco. In the long run, it can be a lot cheaper than breaking down in Outer Mongolia!

Quote Originally Posted by shoobee View Post
    Transmission has 207,000 miles on it. I want to take it on a trip that will entail 3000 miles. I think I’m starting to feel a little slippage between first and second gear . Fluid was changed 20,000 miles ago along with a clean filter put on the system. No slipping in any of the other gears. What say you?
    OEM Fluid or Valvoline Max Life?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I think I’m starting to feel a little slippage between first and second gear.
    What symptoms do you feel? Does the tach show that the engine is revving high during the 1-2 shift?

A flare (slippage) when shifting from 1 to 2 could certainly be occurring, but it's not a common failure on this transmission.

As mentioned, it could be just a fluid maintenance issue. What fluid change was done 22,000 miles ago? A single or a 3-times drain and fill? In any case, it's overdue for at least a single drain and fill. A better interval would be 15,000 miles. What's the color of the fluid if you blot a drop from the dipstick on a paper towel?

In addition to regular fluid service, the brand of fluid is also important as mentioned previously. What brand have you, or your shop, been using? It should be one of the few that are Honda-compatible and recommended e.g. Valvoline MaxLife, Amsoil MV, Honda DW-1.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Looking back I think that I put an inline filter on it 190k miles but no fluid change. Last change seems to be 50k ago. Not sure.
    On the three times drain and fill, do you run the engine between each fill? And how much does it take?

Art
    Last edited by shoobee; 04-04-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Ok, this is what I plan to do.
    1. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW-1
    2. Drive ten miles
    3. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW-1
    4. Drive 10 miles
    5. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW -1
    I should now have replaced 90% of the fluid.
    Replace the inline filter that I replaced at 190k.
    Need 10 quarts or three Gals. of ATF and crush washers.

Art

Option on this? Lubegard Shudder Fix

I personally would drive at least 100 miles between each drain and refill. I don’t think 10 miles is nearly sufficient.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

... and the driving must include enough speed to achieve 5th and lockup.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Ok, this is what I plan to do.
    1. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW-1
    2. Drive ten miles
    3. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW-1
    4. Drive 10 miles
    5. Drain fluid and replace with same amount with Honda ATF DW -1
    I should now have replaced 90% of the fluid.
    Replace the inline filter that I replaced at 190k.
    Need 10 quarts or three Gals. of ATF and crush washers.

Art

Option on this? Lubegard Shudder Fix
    I think most would recommend replacing with Valvoline Max Life at your mileage. Honda ATF, while great fluid, is made to enhance fuel mileage thus being slightly more susceptible to clutch slipping from what I've read. I've read of improvements of less or mitigated slippage when switching to the Valvoline.

My Van has 180K on it with Max Life and I do a drain & fill every other oil change. No slippage, just a hard upshift every week or so. I did a drain & fill every oil change at first when buying the van at 132K for the first few.

Definitely don't use DW-1. It has a lot of friction modifiers that adds slip so that it shifts smoothly when new. The best fluid for your situation is Redline Racing ATF. It has almost no friction modifiers. Next best is Redline D6 or Valvokine Maxlife.
    Using fresh DW-1 could easily kill your tranny, be careful.
    All the info is here, same tranny: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...721508/page24/
    Scott N, CTS-D, ME
    Charlotte, NC
    2005 Res Navi Sand Pearl
    Hidden Content

Add Lubegard Red or Platinum for sure.
    GL
    2001 EX 142K,
    Also, 1999 Acura TL 85K...A great car, so far...and most engine parts match Ody!
    2016 Sienna XLE.

My 2000's Honda-recommended ATF interval was triple drain/fill with driving between each drain/fill every 30k. This would replace about 80% of the ATF. A single drain/fill would only replace about 42%. Z1 back in those days, it couldn't handle it. Highway driving burned it up. My dealer never recommended ATF change back in early 2000s, I always had to ask for it, but they would only do a single D/F. At 90k it started acting up and by 120k it had mild clunk shifting 1>2.

So I switched to MaxLife Synthetic ATF ~2005, 120k, and I did my own full ATF flushes instead of drain/fills. I start with a drain/fill 3 qts, then run the engine with ATF cooler return line emptying into a 2qt glass milk bottle. Fill up the bottle, shut off the engine, fill sump 2qts, repeat once more for a total 7-8 quarts replaces all the old ATF. I do it every 2 years (~30k) and that stopped the degradation. Still runs exactly the same at 260k with the clunk 1>2. I drive it long distances a couple times a year. I use Redline D6 in it now.
    2000 Odyssey LX

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast