Rear wheel allignment
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Rear wheel allignment

Rear wheel allignment

Hi

I have Honda Odyssey 2006 LX at 194000 KM. I went for wheel allignment for my Honda Odyssey.
    The mechanic did wheel allignment for the front wheel and gave me the report. I read the report
    when I came home. I can see the following values of my Rear Left wheels:

Camber Initial -2.66 specification MIN -1.25 MAX 0.25 Final -3.16

Just wondering if there is anything I should concern about.

An additional note, When I drive the vehicle at high speed around 100-120 KM. I can feel vibration on
    the steering wheels Thanks
    Last edited by mohdali4; 04-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The vibration you feel in the steering wheel is probably a balance problem in the front tires.

From the info on the alignment, it looks like they made the camber worse when they finished. Call and ask for an explanation.

That camber value is very out of spec. Can you post the complete alignment numbers for all 4 wheels?

These vehicles only have toe adjustment in the front and rear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Rear wheel camber is affected by weight in the vehicle and condition of the springs. If the springs are saggy the camber will be off. It's not adjustable so I wouldn't worry about it. You can install adjustable upper control arms that will allow you to adjust camber but, in my experience, the ball joints wear out quickly in them so it's not a good option.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Not sure if this will help, but back in 2012, our 2005 Odyssey rear tires had some uneven wear. We had four wheel alignment done, but could not get the rear to spec and was told that to reduce cost, Honda had remove the adjustable option on the camber arm. The shop suggested an adjustable SPC camber arm which we purchased. We then had the van 4 wheel aligned again and was back to spec. Tires wear is even to this point. Tire racks and Amazon sells these items. For our 2005 Odyssey, we bought this back in 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Pro.../dp/B0015H3QUS

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by btatbui2017 View Post
    Not sure if this will help, but back in 2012, our 2005 Odyssey rear tires had some uneven wear. We had four wheel alignment done, but could not get the rear to spec and was told that to reduce cost, Honda had remove the adjustable option on the camber arm. The shop suggested an adjustable SPC camber arm which we purchased. We then had the van 4 wheel aligned again and was back to spec. Tires wear is even to this point. Tire racks and Amazon sells these items. For our 2005 Odyssey, we bought this back in 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Pro.../dp/B0015H3QUS

Good luck
    Those are the ones I installed on mine. Less than 50K later and the ball joints were loose. I'd check them. They don't use very good quality ball joints so I pulled them and put the factory ones back on.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    Those are the ones I installed on mine. Less than 50K later and the ball joints were loose. I'd check them. They don't use very good quality ball joints so I pulled them and put the factory ones back on.
    John. Not knowing enough about car. We had this camber arms for 6 years now. How can I check to see if they are any good like your comment regarding ball joints? Thanks.

John. Not knowing enough about car. We had this camber arms for 6 years now. How can I check to see if they are any good like your comment regarding ball joints? Thanks.
    Raise the rear wheels off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel (at 12 o'clock and 6'oclock) and move back and forth to see if there is any play in that ball joint. That's how I found it. When I called SPC they wouldn't warranty it and told me I could buy another ball joint. I decided 50K was a sign of a low quality ball joint and just dumped them altogether and went back OEM.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    Raise the rear wheels off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel (at 12 o'clock and 6'oclock) and move back and forth to see if there is any play in that ball joint. That's how I found it. When I called SPC they wouldn't warranty it and told me I could buy another ball joint. I decided 50K was a sign of a low quality ball joint and just dumped them altogether and went back OEM.
    Thanks,

... was told that to reduce cost, Honda had remove the adjustable option on the camber arm.
    Well, as far back as Gen 2, the Ody had no rear camber adjustment. Furthermore, the parts catalogue shows a non-adjustable rear upper control arm for Gen 1, although I have no first-hand experience with this model.

Even if it were adjustable, it wouldn't address the real issue: a suspension problem. That could be weak springs, a worn rear suspension part, or the need for auxiliary support (e,g, air bags).

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Well, as far back as Gen 2, the Ody had no rear camber adjustment. Furthermore, the parts catalogue shows a non-adjustable rear upper control arm for Gen 1, although I have no first-hand experience with this model.

Even if it were adjustable, it wouldn't address the real issue: a suspension problem. That could be weak springs, a worn rear suspension part, or the need for auxiliary support (e,g, air bags).

Dave
    How would I know which rear suspension part is worn out and need to be replace.

The bigger question is why, if there's no rear adjustment, did they get a different camber number after the front wheels were aligned.

In general, and unless my front or rear tires are wearing funny, I never get an alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by mohdali4 View Post
    How would I know which rear suspension part is worn out and need to be replace.
    1. Measure the difference in rear fender height between an empty van and with a couple of passengers. This is definitely subjective, but it might give you some idea if the springs are worn. Alternatively, if you have owned the van since new, observe if the van settles lower now than before under similar loads. (Unfortunately, Honda does not publish ride height specs that would make this measurement more scientific.)
    2. Do a visual inspection for bent or damaged parts. (Rare, but just to cover it off.)
    3. Raise the van and do a 12-6 shake test for upper ball joint wear.
    4. Test for soft or rotted bushings on the upper (1) and lower (2) control arms (these in particular since the suspension has a negative camber issue). These are not weight-bearing bushings, but they do take considerable pressure when cornering, especially those on the lower control arms. Worn or soft bushings could affect alignment if they no longer hold the arm end at dead center.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

I think rockauto has bolts that might be replace ones on structs to adjust camber.

DrD
    Quote Originally Posted by coxman View Post
    I think rockauto has bolts that might be replace ones on structs to adjust camber.
    For the fronts you can use an eccentric bolt on the upper of the two holding the strut to the knuckle (they do that as standard procedure on some cars, Subaru for example) but for the rear (which is what the OP is asking about) I believe camber isn't adjustable, so the arms posted above are a way to add adjustability to dial out the excess camber. I'd wonder what caused the issue, as well - has the van been hit in the back?

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements