2006 Honda Odyssey check engine light flashing
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2006 Honda Odyssey check engine light flashing

2006 Honda Odyssey check engine light flashing

On my way to work this morning, I had traveled about 40 miles on the highway and my check engine light began to flash. The engine sounded a bit rougher than normal and I could feel the shifting also become a bit rougher. I stopped on the side of the road and shut the car off for about 30 seconds thinking that something might reset. I started the engine and the engine light continued to flash. I also noted that the ECO light never came on after the engine light began to flash. I continued 20 more miles to work. Spark plugs have perhaps 60K miles on them. Vehicle has 154,000 miles. Fuel cap tight. Fluids normal. I do not have a code reader handy to check codes. Could it be misfiring due to a bad coil pack? Any help would be appreciated. I am stuck at the fire station for the next 2 days, so I hope to research what the problem may be during this time. Thank you. Bryan
    Last edited by comiso; 04-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Could be many things. A flashing check engine light is usually not good. You really need to have the codes read with a scanner. It you're willing to take the risk of driving it, you can go to a local Advance Auto or Auto Zone and they will read the codes for you for free.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Most of the time, loose ignition coil / broken coil. A code is the easy way to do it. Otherwise, need to remove one at a time and see if there is no difference. For eg: If you remove coil 1, and no difference in engine sound / vibration, then it is bad. If you remove a good one, it will increase.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by saneeshd View Post
    Most of the time, loose ignition coil / broken coil. A code is the easy way to do it. Otherwise, need to remove one at a time and see if there is no difference. For eg: If you remove coil 1, and no difference in engine sound / vibration, then it is bad. If you remove a good one, it will increase.
    Thanks. I removed the 3 front coil wires one at a time. Each time, the engine dropped and ran rough, so I guess they are good. The 3 on the back along the firewall were different. The first on the left had no effect on the engine, neither did the middle one. It seemed like the coil on the right rear made the idle go up a bit. I am going to take it to a mechanic Wednesday morning to see what is going on.

A flashing check engine light does mean a misfire. If I had to guess, I'd say you have the classic misfire problem on bank 1. It is caused by VCM (ECO) which shuts down the cylinders during cruise. This causes the plugs to foul and the piston rings to get dirty and stick, causing oil consumption and burning. It requires replacing the spark plugs and piston rings on that bank. Honda extended the warranty for this for 8 years/unlimited mileage but the 2006 is well outside of that.

If it was me, I'd replace the plugs and install a VCMTunerII to disable VCM. The dirty piston rings and oil consumption has a good chance of reversing itself if you do it very soon.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Please follow John's advice. I read about fouling the plugs which cause misfire with VCM engines.

Thanks so much. I am taking the car to a mechanic in the morning and will give an update on here when they fix it. The only thing I have done to the engine fairly recently was put a new PCV valve in and I cleaned the MAP sensor. I don't know if they would exaserbate something.

Dag! It was fouled plugs. I could have sworn that I had changed the plugs a couple years ago. I changed them on our PREVIOUS van, not current van. When I got home and checked my maintenance records on the Odyssey, sure enough, there was no record of having changed them on THIS van. Lesson learned. I kind of take pride in caring for our 3 vehicles, but got slapped on this one. Sometimes ya win, and sometimes ya lose. Thanks for the comments.

You better install a VCM defeat device (VCMTunerII, MaxMuzzler, VCMuzzler, etc.) on it. It's likely that those rear plugs will be fouled again in short order. You're going to need an engine overhaul (new piston rings) if you don't.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

I am considering a VCM defeat device. I looked at the forums and the one produced by Verbatum seems to be highly recommended. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which one to buy and from where to buy it? Thanks alot for the advice.

I prefer the VCMTunerII. It's 100% deactivation and will show normal temps during warm up and under an overheat condition. Takes 10 minutes to install instead of 2 minutes like the VCMuzzler. Any of them are good options, though.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Thank you. Where did you buy it and how much?

https://www.vcmtuner.com/collections/all

Go for the VCMTunerII not the VCMTuner. The VCMTuner is the same as the MaxMuzzler. If you want that style then I'd recommend the MaxMuzzler instead. The VCMTunerII is a little more expensive but if you ever have to do any diagnostics on the vehicle it's so much easier to deal with due to the features of the VCMTunerII.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

I had the problem in 2018 and my rear cam had skipped a tooth causing multiple misfires. Engine was very low on oil and I assume poor oil lubrication somehow caused the skip. Put a new tensioner and timing belt on and no problem since (other than big oil consumption). Have installed Muzzler II.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements