Engine cover
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine cover

Hi all,

I have 2005 Ex, I dont have my engine cover on there. I searched some on google, and couldnt find one without VCM labled on it. I assumed Ex and Lx labled as v tech or something. Would be nice if someone can show a picture of it from their EX or LX. Thanks a bunch!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I wouldnt worry about it. I took mine off, better airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfmarti View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it. I took mine off, better airflow.
    What better airflow?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DEAFODY View Post
    Hi all,

I have 2005 Ex, I dont have my engine cover on there. I searched some on google, and couldnt find one without VCM labled on it. I assumed Ex and Lx labled as v tech or something. Would be nice if someone can show a picture of it from their EX or LX. Thanks a bunch!
    Yours would look like this:

The plastic idiot cover traps heat and serves no purpose other than making the engine bay area look good. Taking it off allows for better ventilation but it also means dirtier engine that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
    The plastic idiot cover traps heat and serves no purpose other than making the engine bay area look good. Taking it off allows for better ventilation but it also means dirtier engine that's all.
    What better ventilation are you guys talking about? How does it trap heat? It's plastic.

Confirmation bias.

I believe the covers are designed to allow the engine to warm quicker. Bottom line, you're fine with or without it. That said, if your state inspects the engine compartment, you might need it.

I think it is there only to dampen noise and esthetic purposes. I can't imagine it makes any difference in the engine temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    What better ventilation are you guys talking about? How does it trap heat? It's plastic.
    The engine cover blocks the cooling of the engine after shutdown by blocking the convection air currents. The warm air from the block rises where it becomes trapped under the engine cover.

No engine cover = reduced heat soak after shutdown

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    The engine cover blocks the cooling of the engine after shutdown by blocking the convection air currents. The warm air from the block rises where it becomes trapped under the engine cover.

No engine cover = reduced heat soak after shutdown

Dave
    Negative. The engine will experience heat soak after shutdown no matter what.

Keep the cover on. Honda wouldn't waste their time installing a big engine cover if it had no benefits. It's there for a reason, noise reduction is one of them.

Trust me, if the cover made a difference in temp, I would've kept mine off on my dynotuned van.

I agree. Manufacturers don't waste money on "extra" or "unnecessary" parts. If they put it on, it has a reason. Let's say that cover costs them $10 each for each vehicle built. If they build a million vehicles that's $10M. If they thought they could sell the vehicles without them they'd take that extra $10M profit.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Thanks!! I bought the car without it. I want a clean engine bay after I put ranch dressing on it 😂.

This thread hurt my head..... a lot.

you can see picture on youtube, or just buy one from dealer after input your car model/vin

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast