2010 Odyssey Strut bellows torn up
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2010 Odyssey Strut bellows torn up

2010 Odyssey Strut bellows torn up

I'm in NY where we use a lot of salt on the roads. I noticed the front strut bellows' is falling apart on both sides. I've replaced upper strut bearings on my VW with the strut on the car using a spring compressor installed backwards with two stop nuts. Is that trick possible here?

I think of Sachs as quality parts but seems that other posters here say KYB is better for the Honda.

From Rockauto:

KYB SB105 bellows is $11.57, Sachs 900362 is $19.96.

KYB SM5688 strut mount is $25.99, Sachs 803022 is $31.79

My car has 90,000 miles on it. If I'm going to change the strut mounts and bellows, should I think about changing struts now too? Looks like $104.79 each for KYB struts, $117.79 for Sachs struts

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

OP, in the time before struts, most shocks had no bellows, which BTW are a good idea. Before I would take it apart just for the bellows, I'd use my imagination and repair the bellows while on the car. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. A 90% solution is better than no bellows.

Also, and depending on where you live and the road quality, most modern OEM struts are 200K mile struts.

I've replaced mine. The bellows falls into many pieces and there is no repairing it. It's not a difficult job (other than the spring compressor) but be sure and line everything up properly when you put it back together.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    I've replaced mine. The bellows falls into many pieces and there is no repairing it. It's not a difficult job (other than the spring compressor) but be sure and line everything up properly when you put it back together.
    Exactly it's a mess. I could try gluing it together if it was a crack or two but it's broken in at least a half dozen pieces. So you think I can change it as easily as I have done the upper strut mounts on my VW MK4, on the car without messing up alignment?

What about the strut mount?

Remember in NY it's not only the salt but the potholes. Suspension components get a lot more stress per mile than in the south. A strut which lasts 250,000 miles in Florida, might be shot at 100,000 in New York.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richptl1 View Post
    Exactly it's a mess. I could try gluing it together if it was a crack or two but it's broken in at least a half dozen pieces. So you think I can change it as easily as I have done the upper strut mounts on my VW MK4, on the car without messing up alignment?

What about the strut mount?

Remember in NY it's not only the salt but the potholes. Suspension components get a lot more stress per mile than in the south. A strut which lasts 250,000 miles in Florida, might be shot at 100,000 in New York.

Thanks
    If you end up replacing most of the components of your struts, you are better off (labor and $$$ wise) to get the entire Honda OEM struts from one of online discount Honda dealers.
    Your preventive maintenance may only make sense, if you just want to replace the bellows since you want to prevent the struts from going bad. If you are going to replace the struts too, then I would just run it like that until the struts themselves go bad.

I would not replace the OEM strut mounts as most if not all 3rd party struts mounts are inferior compared to Honda OEM ones.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

Quote Originally Posted by celicool View Post
    If you end up replacing most of the components of your struts, you are better off (labor and $$$ wise) to get the entire Honda OEM struts from one of online discount Honda dealers.
    Your preventive maintenance may only make sense, if you just want to replace the bellows since you want to prevent the struts from going bad. If you are going to replace the struts too, then I would just run it like that until the struts themselves go bad.

I would not replace the OEM strut mounts as most if not all 3rd party struts mounts are inferior compared to Honda OEM ones.
    Okay thanks I'll replace just the bellows on both sides for now and keep everything else. I'll scribe the mounts so everything goes back into the same spot so alignment isn't messed up.

There are arrows on the mounts that you face outwards and line up. It's probably a good idea to have a manual but you can probably get by without.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Finally had a few hours today to work on the bellows replacement. I got it done on the car but it was quite difficult. First of all you have to pull the wiper blades and shroud, which takes some time and that is delicate plastic. There are 3 covers for the mounting bolt access to get the whole strut out, but no access to the center nut.
    I compressed the spring and then pushed down on the strut rod and got the bearing and bellows out.
    I removed the upper part of the strut bearing, which is probably not the best way to go. Suggest you not take that out if you try this with strut on the car.
    The biggest pain of the whole job was that the rod took a lot of force to push down, and it quickly bounced back up. Still a lot of gas charge pressure left. Then the spring tended to flop off center until I put a jack under the lower ball joint.
    The other side is also torn, but not as bad. When I get time to do that one, I'm going to pull the whole strut off the car.

I used OEM strut bellows from a Honda supplier.

A lot of dust on the inside of the ripped bellows, so it was letting a lot of dirt in.

Quote Originally Posted by Richptl1 View Post
    Finally had a few hours today to work on the bellows replacement. I got it done on the car but it was quite difficult. First of all you have to pull the wiper blades and shroud, which takes some time and that is delicate plastic. There are 3 covers for the mounting bolt access to get the whole strut out, but no access to the center nut.
    You should not have to remove the wipers and the shroud. I used a magnetic stick to start the three nuts first though. You should have tightened down the center nut to spec. already before re-mounting it.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements