Alternator
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Alternator

Alternator

Hello,

I guess I need a new alternator. Is this Duralast alternator is good enough? Or which one do you recommend?

Thank you,

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...964913_23521_0
    Odyssey EX 2010 : 77K
    Accord SE 2012 : 132K
    Civic LX 2018 : 5K

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Denso or OEM.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Denso or OEM.
    Thank you. I am planing to keep this Van one more year, Is it worth it to spend $100 more for Denso or OEM? If it is, where is the best place to get it? My local dealer is $314.
    https://www.hondapartsguys.com/oem-p...QtYXV0b21hdGlj

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHonda View Post
    Thank you. I am planing to keep this Van one more year, Is it worth it to spend $100 more for Denso or OEM? If it is, where is the best place to get it? My local dealer is $314.
    https://www.hondapartsguys.com/oem-p...QtYXV0b21hdGlj
    Ask autozone, they can order denso for you.

Hondas are finicky with their electrical system. The ELD and what not may freak out with a cheap alternator.

Ask the dealer for a courtesy discount.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHonda View Post
    ... Is it worth it to spend $100 more for Denso or OEM? ...
    I've had an AutoZone alternator last not one week. Returned for refund, purchased new Denso. Doing the job twice, knowing that I could have...should have....used Denso...really didn't make me happy. Why I went with AutoZone, I don't know.

Totally worth not having to do the job twice. Get Denso new, or Denso remanufactured by Denso. They are an OEM supplier for, heck, I can't name a major Japanese car manufacturer that doesn't use Denso.

You greatly reduce the chances of having to pay for a tow job if you go with a new Denso. This assumes there is no other difficulty with your charging system, and that it is only the alternator.

As far as I can tell, this is a Denso alternator for your 2010 EX, remanufactured by Denso: LINK to Amazon

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 04-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

As mentioned, don't consider anything other than Denso. Check out Rock Auto.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

Thank you so much everyone for your value input. At first I thought it was my alternator that was bad but someone suggested on my other post that the alternator is okay. Please advise.

Here is the post https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...lternator.html
    Last edited by TonyHonda; 04-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Closed

A bit confusion with my other posted regarding the alternator. Thank you everyone for your advice. I will closed this post.

I have a 2008 Touring, and about two years ago, while diagnosing a no start issue, the dealer told me i needed a new battery and new alternator. Bought the battery from AutoZone and alternator from Rock Auto. I went through 2 alternators from Rock Auto (AC Delco), and had to send both back for intermittent "Check Charging System" messages. Rock Auto gave me a full refund on the last one and so then I went to Autozone. First alternator may not have been Denso, and produced the same "check charging system" message, intermittently. Went back to AutoZone and traded alternator in for a Denso reman. Almost exactly one year later, It's now completely failed and I either take it back and try another or buy one directly from Honda at almost triple the price, $600. At this point I don't even care about the money, I just want something that works long term. The only thing I'm not sure about is buying a part direct from Honda without a warranty (i don't know if they offer one, and if they did it may have to be dealer installed, which could come out to 8 or 9 hundred). There is a possible third option, AutoZone sells a brand new Duralast Gold alternator at twice the price, $470, versus the $220 I paid for the Duralast Premium. I'm trying to find out who makes it because if it's a brand new Denso, i'm willing to take a shot, otherwise, I may just go the dealer route and be down with it.

So there's my experience.

Rockauto denso reman 138+tax+shipping+core(refundable)
    2010 Ody EX-88k - acquired used 10/2015
    2009 Ody EX-132k - acquired used 5/2016
    2003 Ody EX-215k - orig tranny - chg TFluid 2x/yr-acquired new in 2003 - Done 9/2015 Minor accident totalled.
    2000 Ody EX-205k - orig tranny - chg TFluid 2x/yr-acquired new in 2000 - sold 7/2016 213k

Quote Originally Posted by marcusr View Post
    I have a 2008 Touring, and about two years ago, while diagnosing a no start issue, the dealer told me i needed a new battery and new alternator. Bought the battery from AutoZone and alternator from Rock Auto. I went through 2 alternators from Rock Auto (AC Delco), and had to send both back for intermittent "Check Charging System" messages. Rock Auto gave me a full refund on the last one and so then I went to Autozone. First alternator may not have been Denso, and produced the same "check charging system" message, intermittently. Went back to AutoZone and traded alternator in for a Denso reman. Almost exactly one year later, It's now completely failed and I either take it back and try another or buy one directly from Honda at almost triple the price, $600. At this point I don't even care about the money, I just want something that works long term. The only thing I'm not sure about is buying a part direct from Honda without a warranty (i don't know if they offer one, and if they did it may have to be dealer installed, which could come out to 8 or 9 hundred). There is a possible third option, AutoZone sells a brand new Duralast Gold alternator at twice the price, $470, versus the $220 I paid for the Duralast Premium. I'm trying to find out who makes it because if it's a brand new Denso, i'm willing to take a shot, otherwise, I may just go the dealer route and be down with it.

So there's my experience.
    I would never ever touch a "brand new" assembly of starter or alternator from.the budget auto parts stores and heres why. Whats the issue with their reman units? Cheap chinese parts. But at least they usually had the genuine oem cores to start with. Your brand new units? Its ALL CHEAP CHINESE PARTS.
    Its pretty hard to get good reman units these days and tempting to go to autozone when its in stock vs 5 days online.
    Another option if you live in or near a large city would be a local remanufacturer who can fix your alternator with quality parts. One of the shops here in san diego claims a 24hr turnaround in most cases and I am sure they are better than a fairly new inexperienced mexican facility using chinese parts furnishing them to autozone or oreillys. The local guy has to stand behind his work. That supply chain of autozone leaves far too many opportunities to pass the blame for defects. Nobody loses their job or even a few bucks if they sell you garbage.
    My 07 ody lost its starter the week after I bought it at 112k. I needed it fixed now so went to oreillys for a reman. The one I removed for the core.... was a duralast.
    I have a lot of accessories and mods now... tvs, fans, an xbox360, usb charging front and rear, a freezer... running off 2 6v golf cart batteries in the rear. Crossing my fingers the alternator holds up but the 22 amps current sent to the rear batteries isnt enough. When or If it breaks Im going with a custom high output unit. I did that with my Passport SUV (hondas rebadged isuzu rodeo) and it did wonders for keeping the accessory batteries charged.

I used autozone remanu for 05 GS300 and feel it is better than Denso brush/axis quality, yet used only 1year. My Denso might be 98 (98-05 GS300 same gen) model and axis has very thin copper ~ 1mm worn out. Autozone one seems to be super thick brass.
    06 Sienna Denso alternator is improved and won't collect powders as it has windows on axis nylon cover.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements