Highway Speed Vibration
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highway Speed Vibration

Highway Speed Vibration

Greetings and thanks in advance!

I have a 2006 Odyssey that developes a substantial vibration/wobble from about 62 MPH to 72 MPH. This only seems to occur during low to moderate accelaration, if I accelarate with heavy to aggressive accelaration the vibration/wobble does not appear. My normal machanic says he thinks it's the tranny but that doesn't make sense to me.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My first thought would be the wheels and tires are out of balance. How old are the tires? Has an alignment been performed if the tires were changed recently?
    2016 Honda Odyssey SE

My first thought is your CV axles.
    You should first rule out tire balance or a bad tire, but those are usually not speed dependent.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My shakes were from a failing CV axle. It would smooth out when going around a bend in the highway. Eventually the axle started clicking around low speed tight corners. I replaced that axle and that removed most of the shake.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

I had a similar situation on my ‘06. Turned out to be a bad CV axle. That’s where I’d start if I were you. The trans is a big leap to say its bad. Kinda like saying the wiring in your house is bad if a light bulb is out. Not impossible but unlikely. Besides that, it’s a whole lot less expensive and you can DIY.

Could be a bent rim. I have a slight bend on a rim for our winter set, and it causes a completely different feeling over 75mph / 120km/h

Thank you for the replies.

Tires are less than a year old and were balanced when new.

I will check into the CV axle. Thanks again.

It’s not too uncommon for a balance job to be bad and needs to be done again due to a machine that’s gone out of calibration. This is happened to me twice. You might want to go back and have it checked.

Shouldn't be balance issue, as his problem in under acceleration.

From my SAAB days, if you had this type of problem, it was the inner drivers on the CV axles. For SAABS, the axles could be switched left to right, and the problem would go away.

It was axles for me too. After replacing all motor mounts I still had the issue until swapping out axles. Then the shaking went away.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

check bushing or motor mount also. my GS300 has similar problem proved to be lower control arm bushing crack.

I had a similar issue, and it was a tire that was out of round. I took it to the tire shop to be rebalanced, and they verified it was fine. We then discovered the tire itself was bad. Just something else to consider.

[QUOTE=Wamba;2328461]Greetings and thanks in advance!

I have a 2006 Odyssey that developes a substantial vibration/wobble from about 62 MPH to 72 MPH. This only seems to occur during low to moderate accelaration, if I accelarate with heavy to aggressive accelaration the vibration/wobble does not appear. My normal machanic says he thinks it's the tranny but that doesn't make sense to me.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE

daughter sat in backseat, said it was louder. a little reading found that Odyssey's like to wear out rear wheel bearings prematurely. got rear wheel bearings w/rotors and brakes for $60 BIG IMPROVEMENTS ! another $100 got c v axles, front rotors and brakes. Now smooth as a baby's behind 😉

My 2010 EX-L was plagued with vibration under acceleration. I replaced both front axle assemblies (axles with CV joints included) with new OEM axles = vibration gone. I think I've read that new OEM axles might be a better version and will hopefully not fall prey to vibration again - sure hope this is the case...

Evaluate the CV axles:

1. Jack up front tires off the ground.
    2. Secure van on jack stands or blocks.
    3. Turn TCS to OFF.
    4. Have partner crank up, put in Drive, and very, very slowly accelerate until vibration speed is obtained on speedometer.
    5. Using a pole (broom handle, curtain rod, shower curtain rod, etc.), you hold the pole/rod against each CV axle.
    6. If the CV axle is bad, you’ll feel it vibrate.
    7. Sometimes, you can actually see a bad CV axle vibrate… shine a flashlight on it.
    8. CV axles can be bad and NOT exhibit popping/clicking while in a slow, tight turn.
    2003 Odyssey EX
    ..21,000 - Second-Gear Oil Jet Kit (Warranty)
    108,000 - Original Trans Rebuilt (Non Warranty), Added Aux Cooler
    132,000 - Timing Belt, Tensioner, Seals, Water Pump, Belts
    180,000 - Motor & Trans Mounts, CV Axles, Spark Plugs
    191,000 - A/C High-Side Schrader Valve
    198,000 - Original Front Rotors Replaced, Driver-Side CV Axle (Warranty)
    200,000 - Ignition Key Tumblers
    207,000 - Radiator & Hoses, Added Magnefine Trans Fluid Filter

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast