Should I sell my 09 Odyssey to a car buying service or sell privately - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I sell my 09 Odyssey to a car buying service or sell privately

Hi Everyone,

Now I’m not sure if I should give it a shot and sell
    it privately. We already got a 2016 Pilot, which is
    my wife’s car. She just wants me to sell to the service but
    if I try to sell it privately, I’ll do all the work anyway. Maybe I’ll give it
    a shot.

If I sell privately, should I try to fix the door or sell as is. The timing
    belt hasn’t been done. What price do you all think I should list it
    for and should I advertise on Craigslist and Facebook? I haven’t sold
    a car privately in years.

Thanks again everyone!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hi Guys, Any thoughts on what price I should
    list it for, I’m going to try and sell privately first .

Thanks

Not having the TB done means your target either needs to be someone who is unfamiliar (or at least ambivalent) with the TB service or it's cost.
    To minimize the PITA factors I try to price it at a point that makes the phone ring and gets it sold to one of the first 2-3 that respond. Your local market should tell you what that is by others that are currently listed and I would list at the same price or $100 lower than the lowest truly comparable van. If that is too close to the $3,300 then you have your answer on that issue. I assume that offer is good for 7 days?

For CL or FB Marketplace strategy the best price is almost always realized on the weekend because that is when the majority of buyers have time to come see, but if your listing price doesn't make the phone ring on Friday and Saturday then I would drop it a few hundred until it does. The market penetration of these two platforms is so significant that if the phone doesn't ring you aren't priced right. Having good pics is a must and the more the better. If you go to the effort of cleaning it to a "retail ready" presentation make sure your pics reflect this. Both those platforms have become over-run with dealer postings and while FB MP has no "by owner" designation CL does, so make sure to mark it as such as many buyers are turned off by dealers trying to pose as owner sellers. Having your tags still on the car and using photoshop to block out the info is another tactic to convey "by owner" status. If the CarFax is clean with no accidents or just a minor accident supply that information. There are many sellers on ebay that will email you a copy of the CarFax (they have a monthly subscription) for as little as $3 vs paying CarFax $40 for the report. For other helpful marketing tips look through the postings of other vehicles and copy those that are the most appealing. Even though you are a "by owner" seller the more professional the listing the better the result will be as it builds confidence and excitement even before the buyer comes.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the advice pkrface.

It may vary by state, but another consideration around trading in at a dealer is whether you can get a sales tax break on the new car. If the trade-in amount is deducted from the cost of the new car for sales tax purposes, you're saving real money. For example, if the trade-in is $5K and sales tax rate is 9.5%, since you're buying the new car anyway, that's another $475 you're getting from the trade-in that you couldn't get from a private sale. So all things equal you can say you got $5475 for the trade-in.

Ok, as someone who just purchased a used car for my son, I will tell you what I have found. You will never get "retail" price out of your car. You will private party price, which is somewhere between wholesale and retail. Also, KBB values are high. I've found that Carfax pricing tends to be more accurate for a base price. I negotiate down from there.

When I price out a car with "issues" I always take worst case dealer price to fix off of the price. Just because you lived with a problem and didn't fix it, don't assume that everyone else is willing to do so, especially for free. So your van has a slider problem, a hole in a bumper and needs a timing belt. Taking your retail price of 4500 and subtracting 900 for the tb, 600 for the door and 300 for the bumper, so you are down to 2700. I'm going to use every flaw in the car against you to lower the price. If I think you aren't being honest, I walk.

In my state, one advantage of trading in a car at a dealership when buying a new car is that you deduct the price of the trade-in off of the purchase price of the new car when calculating sales tax, so that negates some some of the advantage of selling yourself, if buying at a dealership.

Just my $.02.
    Scott E.

Thanks for the additional replies.

aja22 does not have a location in his profile, so where is hard to address.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12