Should I sell my 09 Odyssey to a car buying service or sell privately
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell my 09 Odyssey to a car buying service or sell privately

Should I sell my 09 Odyssey to a car buying service or sell privately

Hi everyone, I would like some opinions on if I should sell our 09 Odyssey ex to a car buying service or try to sell it on my own.
    Our 09 Odyssey ex has about 142,000 miles and the only major problem (as of right now) is the passenger side sliding door doesn't work.
    The interior is in fair shape and the exterior has some scratches and dings and a little damage to the front bumper on the passenger front corner.
    The tires are about 10 months old, the battery is a few months old and the rear pads and rotors were replaced about a month ago.

The best price I can get from a car buying service is $3,300 as is. I'm not sure what exactly I could get for it if I sell it privately (was thinking $4,500 - $5,000 not sure if this is wishful thinking though). Any thoughts if the $3,300 from the car buying service is a good offer or should I try and sell it privately and deal with everything that comes with selling privately and see what I can get.

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Proportionally speaking, a thousand dollar difference is a big deal. But selling privately has a not-insignificant PITA factor. What's your time worth? Do you need to wring every penny you can out of your '09, or are you looking to just get it out of your driveway and move on?
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Car buying services will buy it at wholesale prices only not retail prices, as they will turn around and sell it at retail prices (obviously to make a profit for their time, effort and money outlay).
    Selling privately will always get you a little more than what car "buying" services will offer.
    The only thing you will have to deal with is having to answer phone calls, e-mails and the occasional "tire kickers" who would want to give you a low ball offer.
    You won't have to deal with any of that if you sell it to car buying service.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (Purchased 03-12-18 with 93,000 miles from FL) (my replacement for the 2006)
    2006 Honda Odyssey Touring (Purchased 12-28-16 with 140,000 miles - Totaled 12-23-17 with 185,000 miles) (looking for replacement)
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX (gave to niece (she has 4 kids) 03-27-17)

Or selling to private parties saying the price is "firm" not "OBO".
    2011 C300 Sports
    2006 Odyssey EX-L Nav and RES
    2002 QX4 AWD
    2000 RX300 2WD

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Grab the 3300. I had 07 Touring, same exact issue and mileage. One dealer offered 3, on my trade in other dealer wouldn’t budge above 2200. KBB trade was 2500-3000. Took the 22 bc too good to pass up price on 2018 ex-l and net deal was best I found. Doubt you’ll get 4 on private sale since retail is 4-4500 for clean/no major issues.

Thanks skaplitt, I appreciate your thoughts.
    I’m gonna take the $3,300.

I know your decision is already made, but I have never been able to just ignore the $1,500-$2,000 additional money I could pocket if I sold it myself, but that's just me. And with mini vans they tend to attract family people and not the trouble crowd that other types of items being sold can. Personally I would never answer a FB or CL for a cell phone as those items just seem to be high risk. To each his own.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

I would agree w you pkrface if that was the difference. In hindsight I should have simply not traded mine and looked to get more than 22 in buyer service or CL, but just wanted to get the deal done since sliding door was broken shut and bc of safety needed to pay to fix or get new van immediately.

But for aja22, difference is not 1500-2000, at most another $5-600. Ok to try, but 3300 is good enough to just take and move on. Certainly much better value than I got !

Quote Originally Posted by skaplitt View Post
    I would agree w you pkrface if that was the difference. In hindsight I should have simply not traded mine and looked to get more than 22 in buyer service or CL, but just wanted to get the deal done since sliding door was broken shut and bc of safety needed to pay to fix or get new van immediately.

But for aja22, difference is not 1500-2000, at most another $5-600. Ok to try, but 3300 is good enough to just take and move on. Certainly much better value than I got !
    For $5-600 I would agree with you, but realistically it's highly unusual to get into that range on a wholesale vs retail transaction. That number is almost always $1,500+. The OP has a far clearer picture bc of having a car buying offer vs a trade-in offer. A trade-in always muddies the water bc you don't have any idea what the dealer is truly offering. Their number can easily be padded by $500-1,000 or more by the new car purchase price being above what they would sell it for on a straight purchase and many buyers don't truly get to the bottom of the two separate transactions. All that said, there is no right or wrong answer to the question which is why I say to each his own. What some see as a PITA and stressful others see as no big deal or even enjoy the process and the spoils of the effort and I consistently do $2K better than trading or selling wholesale.
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K

I would think you could get $5K for that van. The door is a trivial issue to fix. I would suggest that you look on Craigslist for comparable sales and see where you are at. Let's say you could make $1000 and it would take you 5 hours of work to sell it. That looks like a pretty good return on work. I personally surprised that anyone would not sell private, or buy private for used in this day and age where all the info is out there. It is a huge $ maker or saver for minimal work.

OK I defer to the bullish views here. Thanks everyone for making me feel even worse about my trade :-(

Quote Originally Posted by skaplitt View Post
    OK I defer to the bullish views here. Thanks everyone for making me feel even worse about my trade :-(
    Certainly wasn't my intention. There are certainly some significant variables involved in the OP's scenario that we can't see and/or don't know. Has the TB been done? How bad is the front bumper? If he invested ~$200 on a professional detail would it clean up well? Because I detail semi-pro and am adept at minimizing appearance issues with bumpers without any additional expense as well as likely could fix the sliding door myself, I could have it "retail ready" for not much $. If you have to do that stuff at full retail it makes the $3,300 look fairly attractive because you may not improve the sale price by enough to justify the effort (retailers usually use at least a 2-1 formula so they expect a $2 gain in retail value for any repair or recon expense). Timing is also a huge factor. If you need the money from the existing car for a down payment that is significant in the decision as well. Many of us look at it as a simple decision, but individual factors play a big part.

No worries just teasing, you guys are far more knowledgeable than me. I do have "trader-in remorse" bc I had to grab the new one at amazing price. I should have just kept the 07 and shopped around for private buyer. After we got new one, there was no rush. I knew I was getting screwed by trade but only by about $800, and "get it done" dominated my thinking. And in fairness, my selling dealer listed and priced ours as an EX-L, not EX-L NAV/RES, and they didn't change price bc they had already listed it. As used car manager (top guy at dealer) later said to me, "OK we underpaid you $800 for your trade, and we underpriced our car by $1,800. When do I get my check for $1,000 ?" So I did fine.

aja22, they convinced me. Go for more than 3300 !

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast