2009 Odyssey Noise after timing belt servicevice - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Odyssey Noise after timing belt servicevice

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey.owner View Post
    New belt will stop whining after couple of weeks.
    I had mine changed at the dealer and it doesn't make this sound. It is as quiet as when the engine was new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Update: Original dealer again says there is nothing wrong, the noise is normal and nothing can be done to make a normal noise go away. At this point I do not even want them to touch my vehicle again. So off to the other Honda dealer in town I went and dropped it off this evening. At least they agreed the noise is not normal and said they will check it out. We will see.

I changed my timing belt etc. There was noise that was not there before. Replaced o-rings in the steering pump. Noise gone. The timing belt replacement process moves the pump out of the was which requires the hose to be removed. The o-ring could have been damaged. There are two o-ring might as well replace both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The noise is not normal, no wonder people are doing more and more of their own service work. It really sucks paying a huge bill, then not being happy, then being told to live with it. Can you send the video to American Honda and copy the dealer? It's always good to have a good paper trail.

I had that happen on a different vehicle, I used an cheap aftermarket belt, it had a similar warble should. It was a type of resonance, not really a defective or bad belt. It was just the acoustic properties of the belt were a little off, and it made that sound at idle. It was very annoying, so I ended up changing the belt out, it went away. In your case it could be resonance, or it could have been installed improperly. It's not "normal", though. I bet none of them on their used lot make that noise, nor the new ones out of the factory. If it were normal, it would've been that way when you bought it, right??? Take it to a another reputable (non-stealership) mechanic and get a 2nd opinion. I don't understand why folks keep taking their cars to the dealerships. They have overpriced parts and service. Take it to a good mechanic or do it yourself. Their mechanics aren't better, they just charge more.

This is a known issue caused by timing belt idler rubbing on part of the underside of the motor mount bracket. New timing kit has a shim to install in specific orientation behind the idler and you also have to clearance a small section of the underside of the motor mount bracket with a grinder or file. Not sure if Honda does this, but my aftermarket timing kit I got from O'Reilley's had crystal clear instructions on how to install this modification. The shim is thicker on one side and changes the idler so it is perfectly parallel to the other gears. Mine is perfectly silent.
    "Quintana...man that creep can roll..."

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12