2009 Odyssey Noise after timing belt servicevice
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Odyssey Noise after timing belt servicevice

2009 Odyssey Noise after timing belt servicevice

We had our Van's 105k service performed which included Timing belt, sepertine belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt pulley, cam shaft and main seals. Afterwards it has a weird noise coming from the belt side of the engine. It only makes the noise at idle. Has anyone ever experienced this and what was the cure. We took it back to the Honda dealer where the work was done and they say it is normal and not an issue. I do not agree. It wasnt making this noise before the work was done.
    Here is a link to the exact sound, it is not from our van but one I found on the interwebs while researching what could be causing this noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcr4JTc55M

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I don't think that it's normal either as I just had the timing belt service done to my 07, except for the camshaft and main seals, at my local dealer. The engine is running smoother and quieter, and the only odd noise from the engine is a slight power steering pump whine, which has been there for quite some time. I would go to another dealer and see if they would be willing to take a listen and see if they say that it's normal or not. Tell them what was done and show them the invoice if possible.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L

It’s the timing belt itself. I’ve seen a few that do it and don’t have an explanation as to why.

If they swap the belt it will go away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

But I don’t think it will cause or indicates a problem.

I’d keep an eye on it.

My two cents.....You just spent a lot of money to have the timing belt service done by a Honda dealer. Their work should be perfect and to your satisfaction. The noise is not normal and you should insist that they remedy the problem at no additional cost to you. If you get push-back, elevate it to Honda of America.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

DrD
    If it wasn't making the noise before, bring it back in. I don't know why a belt would make that sound unless it's rubbing on something, in which case if it's the timing belt that is rubbing, just remember when they break in an interference engine, they usually cause a fair amount of valve and other damage in the process.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info about the noise being the timing belt. I am taking it to Honda dealer Monday. Will come back here and share the results.

New belt will stop whining after couple of weeks.
    2010 Odyssey EX RES Canadian
    Bought @130K with preexisting trans problems
    DIYs:
    1.Timing belt with all related parts ( Continental kit ) + drive belt tensioner
    2. B&A Passenger side engine mount.
    3. Complete ATF change, DW1
    4. ATF changed to Valvoline MaxLife - slippage gone!
    5. Low beam bulbs replaced with 9012 HIR2. Twice more light!
    6. B&A control arms
    7. CENTRIC 12040064/12040065 Rotors, Akebono ProACT pads
    8. Magnefine ATF filter
    9. Lubegard Shudder Fix - better shifting

DrD
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey.owner View Post
    A new belt should never make noise. There could be a different part (idler, water pump, etc.) which is making the noise - If I paid someone to do it, I'd bring it right back in and have them sort it out. (I did the timing belt change myself twice on our old 05 - first time with all OEM parts, second time with the Aisin kit - neither time did it make any new noises whatsoever - if it did, you can bet your ass I'd be pulling it all apart again to figure out what was messed up!)

Quote Originally Posted by DrD View Post
    A new belt should never make noise. There could be a different part (idler, water pump, etc.) which is making the noise - If I paid someone to do it, I'd bring it right back in and have them sort it out. (I did the timing belt change myself twice on our old 05 - first time with all OEM parts, second time with the Aisin kit - neither time did it make any new noises whatsoever - if it did, you can bet your ass I'd be pulling it all apart again to figure out what was messed up!)

Changing TB twice makes you an expert, of course )))

New timing belts sometimes have slight whining noise, which will be gone in a few weeks. Overtightened belt can also make same noise, that can be easily fixed by adjusting belt tensioner. But in this case, there is nothing really to adjust, because Ody's TB tensioner cannot be adjusted. If this
    TB job was done by car owner, I would recommend to remove covers and see if tensioner was installed correctly. But because it was done in the shop, there is nothing can be done. I really doubt that arguing with the shop manager will help in any way, because this whining doesn't represent a failure, just not yet. If TB breaks and destroys the engine, then this shop should be responsible of course.
    DIYs:
    6. B&A control arms
    8. Magnefine ATF filter

DrD
    New timing belts sometimes have slight whining noise, which will be gone in a few weeks.
    Did you even listen to the noise? it's not a uniform whine, it's more of a groan, possibly a bearing like sound - possibly not even the belt - maybe an idler, the water pump, etc. - who knows - it shouldn't be making the noise.
    Overtightened belt can also make same noise, that can be easily fixed by adjusting belt tensioner. But in this case, there is nothing really to adjust, because Ody's TB tensioner cannot be adjusted.
    This comment, as you pointed out, is irrelevant for the van.
    But because it was done in the shop, there is nothing can be done.
    seriously? of course there is - you bring it back in. If the service writer is blowing you off, you elevate. You want an official record that the van was brought in with the timing belt making an odd noise.
    I really doubt that arguing with the shop manager will help in any way, because this whining doesn't represent a failure, just not yet.
    That's sort of the viewpoint they are looking for folks to display.
    If TB breaks and destroys the engine, then this shop should be responsible of course.
    They should, but since many shops don't warranty a timing belt any differently than any other part they install (12 mos/12k miles) that's a really expensive gamble to force a consumer to take on a straightforward job they probably paid upwords of $1k to have done at a dealer (assuming they replaced everything, and not just the belt).

this is not a smooth belt - timing belts are toothed, and you don't really have wear-in per se - and the Odyssey doesn't have belt guides that might be rubbing, etc. - maybe the belt is non-uniform, who knows - but defective is defective, and a new belt, properly installed idlers or water pump shouldn't make odd noises such as the OP has posted.

In terms of expertise, I have done the two belts myself on the exact same model vehicle, using OEM parts the first time, aftermarket the second. Other vehicles with a similar automatic tensioner (Several subarus, toyotas, etc.) as well - none have exhibited odd bonus noises after the install. Does that make me an expert? far from it - but my observations still stand - multiple installs, not even done professionally as I am a do-it-yourselfer, and no funny noises - period.

Quote Originally Posted by DrD View Post

Did you even listen to the noise? it's not a uniform whine, it's more of a groan, possibly a bearing like sound - possibly not even the belt - maybe an idler, the water pump, etc.

You really worry too much, my friend, please take it easy ) Bearings are fine, no groaning there, and this van is not even yours )

Again, whining won't be there within two weeks.
    DIYs:
    6. B&A control arms
    8. Magnefine ATF filter

DrD
    Again, whining won't be there within two weeks.
    Really? so how long has the OP had the noise? do you even know? because they didn't say. Maybe it's a week, maybe it's a month... is it just the same as the video, or louder/softer? again - you don't know. The van was quiet, new parts were installed, and now it makes noise. Have you ever heard a new van make that noise? no - because they don't. and no, they haven't been run in for a week or more.

The noise shouldn't be there. You literally have no information on what is wrong, yet are authoritatively stating nothing is wrong? bearings are fine? how do you know? no groaning? it's certainly in the video... service writer says it's fine, therefore you walk? A timing belt doesn't "break in" - there are no meaningful internal structural changes or rearrangement or stretching to speak of - so what is it? If the belt, or any other part, is defective and fails, it's going to likely cause significant damage to the engine - maybe the dealer pays for it, maybe they don't - either way, the van is out of commission for a while and the OP is stuck.

I worry too much because it's not my van? really? how am I worrying? their van blows up and it impacts me how? it doesn't.

This is an open forum where if someone asks for advice, the forum gets together and offers what they think. The OP thinks somethings wrong, some folks agree, some don't, both offer their thoughts. Your path forward is to ignore a potential issue, mine is to evaluate it and make sure a contingency is in place in the even things go south 20-30k miles down the road. Which path carries more risk?

I did mine a few months ago and a similar noise was coming from the steering wheel pump. I change both round sealing rings and the noise change and then later disappear or I don't know if my hears got used to it lol..
    2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res/Nav - 87k
    2004 Mazda 3 2.0 - 120k
    2001 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 - 187k (Sold in 2014)
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX-L - 107k (Now on my brother's hand in Canada - Totaled by a school bus)
    1992 Honda Prelude Type S - 206k (Sold in 2006)

You should never trust what a service writer says. They ARE NOT mechanics, nor technicians, they are SALESMEN. Their job is to write down the problems you are having, try to upsell you services that you probably don't need. In other words, they are there to make the dealership as much money as possible while preventing the loss of money, and doing warranty work or having to do a job over is money lost to them.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast