Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES

Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES

Hi experts and enthusiasts,

After 4 hit and run accidents where the violator ran away, including one today where my 2006 Ody would have almost been T-Boned, instead the other car clipped my bumper from side on passenger side, I am looking to install a 2 channel Dashcam Vivo A129 Duo.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...2M2RL2DJ&psc=1

As this Dashcam has parking mode detection as well, I need help wiring it from one of the two interior fuse boxes using this kit that supports this dashcam and is needed to enable parking mode

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...2M2RL2DJ&psc=1

I have seen a video here on the forum where someone installed another dashcame using some USB adaptor powering it from map lights, but that was for a 2018, so not sure if that will be possible for a 2006 Ody.

I pulled a fuse out to see what kind it is and it looks like the ATM which I have seen some places call it as a Mini. Could someone please confirm if that is correct.

Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES-ody-2006-fuse-size-shape.jpg

From the Hardwire kit, looks like the Red wire needs Power, Black is Ground and Yellow is ACC.
    So do I need to get two fuse taps and find a so called Hot fuse to tap the Red wire into and an ACC fuse to tap the Yellow into and some metal screw attached to the body to put the Black ground ?

Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES-interior-passenger-side-fuse-diagram.jpgDashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES-interior-driver-side-fuse-diagram.jpg

I see there are some unused fuses on the Interior Driver side : 1, 8, 15, 17, 33
    Passenger Side : 2, 5
    but not sure if they have any power, need to test with a Volt meter, unless others here have same model and can advise.

Also, how do I locate a fuse that has power even when ignition is turned off and keys removed ? I can see non-critical Driver side fuse 14 for Power Seat Slide or 16 for Driver Power Seat Recline have power when key is not in, is that considered a hot ?

I could then use fuse 9 in this same driver side fuse box which is for front Accessory socket.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

>>>> it looks like the ATM which I have seen some places call it as a Mini

yes it is.

"Hot" means 12V when key out or not turned on.

For a ground, you can usually see places where a wire is screwed to a part of metal body plating, I usually piggyback off of one of those for a ground, but otherwise, any screw or bolt that goes into metal will work if paint scraped off, check with your meter.

Seems like you have answered a lot of your own questions, get in there with a voltmeter. Usually the problem is finding a switched 12v fuse.

Odyssey EX-L 2005

Thank you for confirming. One question, on LOAD vs DRAW.
    The Parking hardwire kit Yellow and Red wires, should they be connected the LOAD or DRAW leg of the fuse ? This is just temporary till I get the Fuse Tap. I saw in some videos where you can twist the wire around the leg of the fuse and insert it back, if you don't have Fuse taps. But as the fuse box has two terminals, with one being for LOAD and one for Draw, which leg of the fuse should the wire be twisted onto. This is for both the ACC and Constant power wires coming from the Parking hardwire kit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nav2004 View Post
    I saw in some videos where you can twist the wire around the leg of the fuse and insert it back, if you don't have Fuse taps.

^^^^^^

This is a terrible idea
    Don't do it!

You will spread and quite possibly deform the contacts in the fuse box and when you remove your "temporary wire" and reinstall just a fuse, you will have a loose connection.

I've seen it so bad that the 2 "legs" of the fuse had to be bent opposite ways just to make a decent connection.
    (Headlights going off for no reason) ----- THERE WAS A REASON!

Thank you, I will heed your advise and wait till I get fuse taps. I had seen this video
    and at 4:58 mark he uses some types of metal caps that goes along fuse leg and even those would risk deforming the contacts in fuse box as I felt the fuse was very tight to push in when I had removed it to check what kind Ody had.

Do it right
    Do it once

Get the correct fuse tap as pictured (I didn't watch the video)

See photo below to remove the trim around the fuse box.

Then, all will be revealed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dashcam with Parking mode - Hard wire kit installation - 2006 EX-L RES-door-fuse-box-trim-removal.jpg  

Thank you. Found an equivalent to KTC Trim Tool set

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0791ZXBR9/...ustomerReviews

So will order that soon

Just saw how this person installed it on passenger side

https://www.jamesmaurer.com/garmin-6...ashcam-install

Mine has Relays in all 4 slots, though not sure what critical function those have before attempting this over fuses which with add a fuse seems safe bet

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements