Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  davedrivesody 
#1 ·
Hello,

Is Motul RBF 600 brake fluid any good for Odyssey or Accord? I have one 500ml sealed in the garage that my friend gave it to me 9 months ago. Also one that already opened but I guess this one is no good anymore. If the Motul 600 is good for Honda so I will get one more bottle to make it one quart and I will bleed the brake next week.

Thank you,

#3 ·
To my knowledge brake fluid is the only fluid that Honda doesn't have their own formula created for. As long as it meets the DOT spec specified you should be good.

#9 ·
Actually, Honda very much has their own formulation. Don't you remember that Odysseys were recalled to have a seal or something replaced at master cylinder? It only covered 2005-2007 model years, so maybe not. I got mine done and a free brake fluid flush while they were at it. It's because it required some special ingredient in their own brake fluid that wasn't present in non-Honda fluids, and could cause the seal to fail and weaken brake pressure. Here is the recall notice:

Recall Number
10V504000
Recall Date
10/22/2010
Component
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Summary
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 ODYSSEY AND ACURA RL VEHICLES. BRAKE FLUID CONTAINING POLYMERS IS USED THAT ACTS AS A LUBRICANT FOR CERTAIN BRAKE SYSTEM COMPONENTS. IF REPLACEMENT BRAKE FLUID IS USED THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUCH POLYMERS, OR THAT CONTAINS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS, A PART OF THE RUBBER SEAL LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY BECOME DRY, AND THE SEAL MAY CURL DURING MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON. IF THIS OCCURS, A SMALL AMOUNT OF BRAKE FLUID COULD SLOWLY LEAK FROM THE SEAL INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER.

Consequence
A LEAK OF BRAKE FLUID COULD LEAD TO A CHANGE IN BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND OVERTIME A DEGRADATION IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

#13 ·
I never understand why everyone wants to reinvent the wheel. The Honda brake fluid isn't expensive and is what they recommend. As mentioned, there have even been problems due to NOT using Honda fluid. Everyone wants to use "fancy" fluid when the Honda fluid will do just fine. If you're not going to go with Honda fluid then I'd just go with whatever is cheapest at the auto parts store.

Personally, I use Honda fluid in my Honda. Never a leak, never a problem, and my brakes are solid as a rock at 206K miles. Could I use another fluid? Probably. What would I save? A few dollars? Same goes for power steering fluid and ATF.

#15 ·
For me the issue of non-Honda fluids is both convenience and a matter of principle. My 3 nearest dealers, while not a poor choice for purchasing or warranty work, refuse to discuss any pricing less than full retail and therefore I will only use them when given no other choice such as I have to have it today and there is no good aftermarket alternative.

#17 ·
... My 3 nearest dealers, while not a poor choice for purchasing or warranty work, refuse to discuss any pricing less than full retail
Yeah, there are still some conceited dealers who think that customers should feel privileged to walk through their doors. :rollingeyes:

In the US, you have the option of buying from online dealers at prices below retail. Time lost due to shipping might eliminate them for urgent needs, but otherwise they cover the ground between full retail OEM and the aftermarket.

Dave

#16 · (Edited)
In terms of boiling points, the DOT 3 spec is 205C dry/140C wet, DOT 4 is 230/155, and DOT 5.1 is 260/180 - so the higher performing brake fluids absolutely maintain higher boiling points as they take on a given percentage of water, but the rate with which that happens is different. Fresh, dry pretty much anything is going to have a better boiling point than even DOT 5.1 when it's wet.
Motul 600 has an extremely high dry boiling point 594F(312C) helps prevent vapor lock and brake fade during hard use, with excellent recovery time. It's wet boiling point 399F(204C), which matches DOT3's dry. Premium brake fluids typically exceed the minimum DOT REQUIREMENTS. Gas station and/or OEM brake fluids typically just meet the standard. I have nothing against Honda brake fluid, but I don't quite understand the resistance to using a better fluid, like ATe Type 200, for the same cost as OEM.

I live in California, where it's dry and sunny for the majority of the year. I've never had issues with corrosion or excessive moisture content, so I can't speak to that. I do, however, know that I have never experienced brake fade and/or spongy pedal using performance fluids on the street l, as I have with OEM. I drive all of my Odysseys fast and brake hard. No kids in the back, to worry about. ?

I do use Honda ATF and Power Steering Fluids, in all three of my Odysseys, because they are specifically formulated. I only use A01 Oil Filters, as well.

MTF and brake fluid, is where I deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations. I use a Torco MTF and RTF 50/50 cocktail for the manual transmission cars, because I was tired of the third gear grind. And performance brake fluid, because I want my brakes to work when I need them to. You never plan on riding your brakes down a mountain. Or having to brake suddenly with a van full of passengers and thier luggage, after an hour repeated heavy braking on SoCal frewways. It's a safety thing. If I had the choice between more frequent brake flushes or using an inferior fluid, because Honda recommends it. I'm going the safer route, for myself and my occasional passengers. That's why I only use the best performing (vs longest lasting) tires and best performing brakes/fluids on all of my cars. The point that I'm trying to make is, Honda recommends A02 oil filters, but they are a terrible, ill-designed substitute. Just because it's recommended, doesn't mean it's great. Same goes for their brake fluid. They are not formulated for Honda, why skimp on your safety? It may not seem like a lot, but reducing your braking distance by one or two feet, can mean the difference between stopping on time or rear ending someone. Or crossing into an intersection. Or hitting a guardrail. Your call. My $. 02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.