Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

Hello,

Is Motul RBF 600 brake fluid any good for Odyssey or Accord? I have one 500ml sealed in the garage that my friend gave it to me 9 months ago. Also one that already opened but I guess this one is no good anymore. If the Motul 600 is good for Honda so I will get one more bottle to make it one quart and I will bleed the brake next week.

Thank you,
    Odyssey EX 2010 : 77K
    Accord SE 2012 : 132K
    Civic LX 2018 : 5K

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That's what I'm using in my 2014 Elite. Using ATe Type 200 in my 2016 SE. Both are fluids are safe / highly recommended.

To my knowledge brake fluid is the only fluid that Honda doesn't have their own formula created for. As long as it meets the DOT spec specified you should be good.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much.

I'm using ATE DOT 4 fluid in my 2010 and 2017 vans. I would get two cans to flush out the old fluid completely.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

Thank you.

Use what the owner's manual recommends.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    To my knowledge brake fluid is the only fluid that Honda doesn't have their own formula created for. As long as it meets the DOT spec specified you should be good.
    Actually, Honda very much has their own formulation. Don't you remember that Odysseys were recalled to have a seal or something replaced at master cylinder? It only covered 2005-2007 model years, so maybe not. I got mine done and a free brake fluid flush while they were at it. It's because it required some special ingredient in their own brake fluid that wasn't present in non-Honda fluids, and could cause the seal to fail and weaken brake pressure. Here is the recall notice:

Recall Number
    10V504000
    Recall Date
    10/22/2010
    Component
    SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
    Summary
    HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 ODYSSEY AND ACURA RL VEHICLES. BRAKE FLUID CONTAINING POLYMERS IS USED THAT ACTS AS A LUBRICANT FOR CERTAIN BRAKE SYSTEM COMPONENTS. IF REPLACEMENT BRAKE FLUID IS USED THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUCH POLYMERS, OR THAT CONTAINS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS, A PART OF THE RUBBER SEAL LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY BECOME DRY, AND THE SEAL MAY CURL DURING MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON. IF THIS OCCURS, A SMALL AMOUNT OF BRAKE FLUID COULD SLOWLY LEAK FROM THE SEAL INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER.

Consequence
    A LEAK OF BRAKE FLUID COULD LEAD TO A CHANGE IN BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND OVERTIME A DEGRADATION IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

DrD
    Our 05 was covered by that warranty - a few years before, the master cylinder failed allowing the booster to suck all the fluid out and into the booster (really fast - when my wife pointed out the brakes were acting funny, I popped the hood and was like "well there's your problem", topped it off, and she ran to the store - less than a few miles and the system was almost dry again! I looked everywhere for leaks and found nothing, so figured it was in the booster) - I bought the parts, and sure enough, found all the missing brake fluid when I pulled the master! replaced both, bled the system, and it functioned perfectly from then on - that was in April of 2010 when the van had ~90k miles on it. When the recall came out, Honda reimbursed me for the parts. I never use Honda fluids, and the brakes were still functioning perfectly with no leaks when we got rid of it 8 years later with 282k miles on the clock.

I think the Motul fluid is fine, but be mindful that performance brake fluid is more hygroscopic than a standard dot 3 or dot 4 fluid, so will take on water more quickly. An incompressible fluid is an incompressible fluid, though, so performance will be the same no matter what brand you put in there (the additional performance you get with the high end brake fluids is an elevated boiling point, which is more meaningful for a car which you track, rather than the typical daily driver)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInLV View Post
    Actually, Honda very much has their own formulation. Don't you remember that Odysseys were recalled to have a seal or something replaced at master cylinder? It only covered 2005-2007 model years, so maybe not. I got mine done and a free brake fluid flush while they were at it. It's because it required some special ingredient in their own brake fluid that wasn't present in non-Honda fluids, and could cause the seal to fail and weaken brake pressure. Here is the recall notice:

Recall Number
    10V504000
    Recall Date
    10/22/2010
    Component
    SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
    Summary
    HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 ODYSSEY AND ACURA RL VEHICLES. BRAKE FLUID CONTAINING POLYMERS IS USED THAT ACTS AS A LUBRICANT FOR CERTAIN BRAKE SYSTEM COMPONENTS. IF REPLACEMENT BRAKE FLUID IS USED THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUCH POLYMERS, OR THAT CONTAINS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS, A PART OF THE RUBBER SEAL LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY BECOME DRY, AND THE SEAL MAY CURL DURING MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON. IF THIS OCCURS, A SMALL AMOUNT OF BRAKE FLUID COULD SLOWLY LEAK FROM THE SEAL INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER.

Consequence
    A LEAK OF BRAKE FLUID COULD LEAD TO A CHANGE IN BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND OVERTIME A DEGRADATION IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Quote Originally Posted by DrD View Post

I think the Motul fluid is fine, but be mindful that performance brake fluid is more hygroscopic than a standard dot 3 or dot 4 fluid, so will take on water more quickly. An incompressible fluid is an incompressible fluid, though, so performance will be the same no matter what brand you put in there (the additional performance you get with the high end brake fluids is an elevated boiling point, which is more meaningful for a car which you track, rather than the typical daily driver)
    Why is brake fluid hygroscopic?

The hygroscopic nature of DOT brake fluid is actually an advantage in a major way.

So where does this water come from?

Glycol based fluids are hygroscopic which means they absorb water/moisture from the environment at normal atmospheric pressures at a rate of 2-3% per year. This process is exasperated in more humid conditions and climates.

This water content finds it's way into the brake fluid via microscopic pores in brake hoses, seals, joints and seams. Water mixed with DOT fluid has an adverse effect on the brake fluid by reducing it's boiling temperature and therefore reducing it's performance.

Here is how.

As water enters the system, instead of pooling in low spots (such as the calliper), due to it's weight in comparison with brake fluid, it is dispersed throughout the whole of the brake fluid. This helps to keep the boiling point of the entire brake fluid high rather than having pools of water in the system which will boil much sooner than the rest of the brake fluid.

It also prevents localized corrosion of internal parts which can be caused by water pooling in the brake system.

In some cases, Mineral oil is used in braking systems.

Unlike DOT fluid, Mineral Oil is hydrophobic and does not absorb moisture from the environment. This means that there are no wet or dry boiling temperatures to worry about, the boiling point stays constant and never drops. That's the good news.

The bad news is that any water that does enter the brake system, via seals or microscopic pores in the lines etc., will effectively reduce the boiling point of the whole brake system to that of water - just 100°C. This is because as the fluid repels any water ingress, it causes it to pool at low points within the brake system, usually the caliper, since water is heavier than brake fluid it will settle at the lowest point. This is worrying because the fluid in the caliper is more susceptible to high temperatures as it's at the business end of the brake, where the friction is created.

So, picking a less hygroscopic fluid, does not necessarily mean less brake fluid swap and corrosion.

Performance DOT4 fluids have benefits, even on the street. Even saturated, their wet boiling points can still match/exceed OEM DOT3/4 dry boiling points.

My mind is boggled, boggled, boggled!

OP, as I said before, use what the fluid the owner's manual says, and flush at intervals the owner's manual recommends.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements