Besides oil, what is the most vital fluid to change?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Besides oil, what is the most vital fluid to change?

Besides oil, what is the most vital fluid to change?

I am a novice with vehicles.

Have a 2010 Ody with 113k.

Timing belt has been changed. Oil changed regularly.

Not 100% sure if any other fluid has been changed in a long time.

Which fluid (transmission, brake, etc.) should I consider changing?
    Obviously dealer may tell me everything needs to be changed!

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You're in for a treat asking this question.

ATF (transmission) fluid change. Most of the users on here will do them every other oil change to keep that fluid fresh.

Don’t forget the muffler bearings and blinker fluids! Jk

Really though, all fluids have a useful life and should be changed periodically.
    Some collect metal filings (motor oil, transmission fluid, for example) while others just break down from use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+1 on trans fluid, the most ignored critical service item across all makes/models IMO. You don't say if you just bought the van or if you have owned it for a long time, but in any case maintenance should be done with your overall longevity goals in mind. If you plan to drive this van from here to 150K then sell or trade you can probably get by with minimal maintenance from this point. If your goal is 200K+ you'll want to be more aggressive. The coolant, assuming the timing belt was done with all the associated components like the water pump, should be new. That leaves power steering and brake fluid, both of which should be replaced if they haven't already been. Power steering fluid looses it's lubrication and seal conditioning properties over time while brake fluid attracts water causing brake effectiveness to decline as well as brake line corrosion from the inside out.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    Power steering fluid looses it's lubrication and seal conditioning properties over time while brake fluid attracts water causing brake effectiveness to decline as well as brake line corrosion from the inside out.
    Interesting! I don’t think I ever knew that - thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, brake fluid every 3 years.

Not only does the water in old brake fluid corrode calipers and lines, the accumulated water can boil in hard, sustained braking situations and cause a substantial loss of braking power. (Steam compresses easily - brake fluid does not.)

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Trans, power steering and brake. This Gen of Ody have quirky trans and power steering systems. Its best to maintain the fluid change intervals listed in the service schedule. And certainly brake fluid as suggested above for the reasons suggested above.
    '07 EXL RES/NAV Baltic Blue
    '05 Toyota Prius Seaside Pearl
    '97 Nissan Maxima SE Sage
    '94 Toyota Camry XLE, 5SFE Beige Pearl
    '98 Toyota Camry LE, 5SFE Super White

ATF, hands down.

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 05-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

Ditto on the transmission fluid - that should be your top priority. Then address the others in this suggested priority: Brake, power steering, coolant. Recommend you use only genuine Honda fluids for transmission, power steering, and coolant. Brake fluid and oil can be aftermarket.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

DrD
    I agree with the ATF and brake fluid - if you look at the brake fluid in the resevoir, if it's really dark colored, its taken on water and becomes increasingly corrosive - the main location you worry about is the calipers. I'd flush the brake fluid and then do the 3x drain/fill/drive process honda recommends for the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by jdkpa View Post
    I am a novice with vehicles.

Have a 2010 Ody with 113k.

Timing belt has been changed. Oil changed regularly.

Not 100% sure if any other fluid has been changed in a long time.

Which fluid (transmission, brake, etc.) should I consider changing?
    Obviously dealer may tell me everything needs to be changed!

Thank you.
    From most important to least important:
    Oil: when the van tells you
    ATF: every 20k-25k miles
    Brake fluid: 3 years or 30k miles, whichever comes first
    Power steering fluid: every 30k miles, just change a bottle amount of it.
    Coolant: 100k miles, at timing belt service. Don't forget the thermostat!
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

As to ATF change, somehow our 06EX-L just topped 300k miles, and in reviewing service records, I realized that last ATF change was at 140k miles. Would you guys recommend still doing a drain and fill at this point, or should we just let it ride? The van drives and runs great.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L with 300K Miles, bought new in 9/06, original engine/transmission, and cat. Recent new A/C, starter, steering rack, shocks, struts, plugs. All original window and door motors.

I would do multiple drain in fills in your case. Space them out a bit, by a month or so if you want. Try to do at least three and then try to do a drain and fill every 25-30K miles moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Greginfla View Post
    As to ATF change, somehow our 06EX-L just topped 300k miles, and in reviewing service records, I realized that last ATF change was at 140k miles. Would you guys recommend still doing a drain and fill at this point, or should we just let it ride? The van drives and runs great.
    I would change it out for the next 4-5 motor oil changes, 3 litres each time, it can't hurt having fresh clean oil in it. Change the filter too once or twice while your at it.
    2000 Odyssey EX

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements