Which part I this
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Which part I this

Which part I this

Can someone tell me what component is the bottom left most component of the serpentine belt system? Mine literally fell off while driving. The one parallel with the ac compressor. Not home yet so I’m researching on the phone. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which part I this-0cee81ef-f728-46c0-8f81-5da3614c29a7_1557940185060.jpeg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Ok, found a schematic on google, looks like my crankshaft pulley broke off. Anybody know what kind of job I’m looking at here?

Sounds like your crankshaft pulley. If that is true, you need to tow it home.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Aside from no power steering, a/c, and water pump, any potential damage driving? Cool day, it didn’t over heat in the few miles I had to get off the road.

If you can change a starter on your car, you can handle it. You will need a crankshaft holding tool, 1/2in breaker bar, 19in deep socket (if I remember it correctly), and a long (6') cheater bar. I've heard the aftermarket crankshaft pulleys are junk so go with new Honda ones or used Honda ones from Ebay.

Now getting the crankshaft bolt off is something else. You should read up on how to change the timing belt which includes that part.
    Last edited by celicool; 05-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 218K Miles
    Tow Hitch || Roof Basket || VCMuzzler II || Valvoline Max-Life ATF

DrD
    Quote Originally Posted by rjlane1 View Post
    Aside from no power steering, a/c, and water pump, any potential damage driving? Cool day, it didn’t over heat in the few miles I had to get off the road.
    I am guessing the outer part of the pulley fell off (the part that the serpentine belt rides on) - the crank pulley/harmonic balancer has a rubber portion of it that can fall apart and separate (there are a few other threads on here where folks have had that happen)

The water pump is driven by the timing belt, not the serpentine belt, so it's still working just fine.

The serpentine belt drives the AC compressor, PS pump, and the alternator - because of the last one, your ignition system is running on the battery alone, so you won't be able to go far before it dies.

I wouldn't think any components would be damaged by the serpentine belt being off, though. Replacing the bolt holding the crank pulley can be a treat - it is on there pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlane1 View Post
    Can someone tell me what component is the bottom left most component of the serpentine belt system? Mine literally fell off while driving.
    Damn that's scary.

That's the crankshaft pulley, the rubber portion can deteriorate overtime and the pulley can start wobbling...or in your case fall off lol. Replace it with a OEM pulley.

Thanks for that info, makes me feel a little better. I was wondering why I wasn't overheating for the few miles I drove it home. I will add that it ran fine until the last mile. ABS and VSA lights came on and the transmission started shifting funky in Drive. I went to manual shifting and was able to get it home using 1 and 2. Very odd overall performance once the battery voltage starts dropping. Decided to drop it off at the shop today instead of doing it myself. Looked like an easy enough job, but labor quote was only $110 and I'd have probably had to buy a special tool, so I yielded on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Damn that's scary.

That's the crankshaft pulley, the rubber portion can deteriorate overtime and the pulley can start wobbling...or in your case fall off lol. Replace it with a OEM pulley.
    Yes, made my stomach do a back flip when I heard it, and then to look in the rear view mirror and see it fall off! I had replaced the alternator last month, and my initial thought was "ah crap, I must have screwed that up and the alternator just fell off" lol. I went with OEM, although its over $100 more than the after market one that was available. Hopefully everything else will last long enough now to make it worth it. I'm at 192,000 miles now, so lots of fingers crossed.

Same thing happened on my 2006 Ody right after I had the Timing belt replaced by my trusty, hard working mechanic. Luckily for me, this happened as I was reversing the van from garage onto driveway. Lost all ability to steer and then as I backed out, saw the Serp belt on the ground.
    Till this date no idea why it happened, but mechanic gave a bolt, that if I recall was holding the pulley and the head came off. He had hard time drilling it out of the engine body. I would have had to buy the pulley/full unit just to buy a new bolt, so he replaced it with a bolt from an Accord and so far it has been few years and it is working fine, or atleast I don't feel anything different while driving. Off late I do get some noise from the Serp area on and off while idling, but not sure if that is from heat shields as those have also been rattling. Replacing them was expensive, so got some of it removed, but there is still some left in hard to reach place. I don't live in a hot/dry condition environment, so it should be fine without heat shield.

Quote Originally Posted by nav2004 View Post
    Same thing happened on my 2006 Ody right after I had the Timing belt replaced by my trusty, hard working mechanic. Luckily for me, this happened as I was reversing the van from garage onto driveway. Lost all ability to steer and then as I backed out, saw the Serp belt on the ground.
    Till this date no idea why it happened, but mechanic gave a bolt, that if I recall was holding the pulley and the head came off. He had hard time drilling it out of the engine body. I would have had to buy the pulley/full unit just to buy a new bolt, so he replaced it with a bolt from an Accord and so far it has been few years and it is working fine, or atleast I don't feel anything different while driving. Off late I do get some noise from the Serp area on and off while idling, but not sure if that is from heat shields as those have also been rattling. Replacing them was expensive, so got some of it removed, but there is still some left in hard to reach place. I don't live in a hot/dry condition environment, so it should be fine without heat shield.
    I can't imagine trying to get that bolt out if it had broke, its hard enough when its intact!

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements