2009 115k miles rod knock?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2009 115k miles rod knock?

2009 115k miles rod knock?

Just adjusted all the valves thinking that was surely the cause of this ticking, but made absolutely zero difference. Even inspected the cam while I was in there and no signs of major wear/spalling anywhere either. Timing belt and tensioner were recently replaced by the PO and I listed to the tensioner and it sounds fine too. I can hear the tapping best with a screwdriver when I listed right on top of the #2 intake; is it possible the valve(s) themselves could be making this noise? Frequency indicates to me it's tied to just one cylinder. Pretty quite at idle and above 2500 RPM, loudest around 1500-2000 RPM when in park. Hard to notice while driving. Of course I fear rod bearing knock, but this seems quieter and higher up on then engine. Also tried unplugging each of the coil packs but that didn't seem to change it very much, but maybe that's because it's just pretty slight. Anyone know if it's easy/possible to drop the oil pan to get to the rod bearings on this car? Any other ideas? Thanks! Link to video here, but newer user so you'll need to 'fix' the link to work:
    http s ://photos.app.goo.gl/ud7QBJqJ9grPxt3G9

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Inspect the cam. Have seen a few worn lobes cause this. Also carefully inspect the cam followers.

Rod knock would be very unlikely. Unplug the coils one at a time and see if the noise changes in volume to indicate which rod it is on.

I’m sorry I missed your part about already trying to unplug the coils.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

How worn? Worst wear I could find was on #1 exhaust lobe, here's a pic, just small spot on the nose:
    http s ://photos.app.goo.gl/ZLpNXPN9NzAaTZBk9
    Would that amount typically cause this kind of noise you think?
    I did indeed try unplugging the coils, but the noise is pretty slight at idle so it was pretty hard to tell; might try again I guess!

Hard to tell by the picture. Is that rocker loose when on the spot you mention? A quick search shows what a bad one looks like, example below. A bad timing belt tensioner can make a knocking noise. Was it replaced recently? You are right in the mileage range for a timing belt swap.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/attac..._191207300.jpg
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements