Time to visit the mechanic? Exhausted all options for doors?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Time to visit the mechanic? Exhausted all options for doors?

Exclamation Time to visit the mechanic? Exhausted all options for doors?

Can y'all help? Driver's side sliding door has stopped working at all.
    Will not open using power sliding from key fob, handle, or dash switch. It makes no sound, no beeps, nothing.
    Will not budge when attempting to open it manually.

I have:
    -Disconnected the grounding cable from the battery.
    -Removed and replaced fuse 13 and the 7.5 back up fuse under the steering wheel driver's side fuse box.
    -Removed and replaced fuse 2 at the secondary under the hood fuse box.
    -Preformed door reset.
    -The ever popular "pull the door at the glass and panel" method.

My passenger sliding door is fine, but the driver's side is stuck open and won't budge. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Is the "Slide Door" indicator lit in the instrument cluster?

Were I in your predicament, I'd begin by evaluating the door tracks and drive motor separately, a relatively easy job to do. Follow the procedure for removing the sliding door roller assembly--stop at the point where you disconnect the fore and aft drive cables from the roller assembly. This point in the procedure presents you with three opportunities for inspection:

1) Remove the sliding door roller assembly and inspect the rollers for wear. Typically the upper pair of small rollers wear out, but any of the three rollers have noticeable play in them, replace this part.

2) Inspect the upper and lower door tracks for yuckiness. Clean both tracks thoroughly, but do not lubricate them.

3a) Inspect both fore and aft drive cables for wear. Worn cable(s) might be a contributing factor to the friction issue affecting your door. If worn to the point that they affect door operation, you unfortunately must replace the motor assembly, a bummer 'cause it's kinda pricey and it's not an simple replacement job.

3b) Temporarily secure both cables out of the way. Reattach the sliding door roller assembly to the door without reattaching the fore and aft drive cables. Carefully slide the door back and forth: Evaluate sound and feel of door movement within its respective tracks. Identify the source of any unusual noise and repair/replace the source;

3c) If door movement noticeably improves with drive cables detached and no unusual noises are heard, the slide door motor is likely in some distress. I suggest you troubleshooting it directly before ordering a replacement--again, a pricey part that's an onerous job to swap out.

Both slide doors motors have a cable tension adjustment widget that might be causing the motor to bind. Unfortunately, getting to this widget--and the motor proper--requires removing lots of plastic interior panels and miscellany. Follow the procedure to gain access to the cable tensioner/motor.

Finally...
    If after reading this and watching the videos you feel like this is more wrenching than you're comfortable doing, do NOT take your van to the dealership. Find a local, reputable, independent Honda/Acura-centric shop, and present your van there for repair.
    Last edited by lothian; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.

I just diag’d one yesterday for the same complaint. Door did nothing. No lights, nothing. Had no communication with HDS. Couldn’t get it to respond. Control had all powers and grounds.

I priced out a control unit. Haven’t heard if the customer is fixing it. It’s an ‘06 with 200k miles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jacy.english View Post
    Will not open using power sliding from key fob, handle, or dash switch. It makes no sound, no beeps, nothing.
    Will not budge when attempting to open it manually.

My passenger sliding door is fine, but the driver's side is stuck open and won't budge. Any advice?

Very confusing....

Is the door stuck open or closed?

If stuck closed...

1 - Open the passenger rear door so the doors will not automatically lock in 30 seconds, and you can climb in the back later
    2 - From the drivers seat, cycle the door locks open and closed a few times
    3 - Do you hear the driver rear door lock opening/locking?
    4 - See if you can visually watch the door in question locking/unlocking from inside the van
    5 -
    From the drivers seat, unlock all the doors
    6 - Pull the lever for the fuel door release
    7 - Did you hear the rear door automatically lock when you released the fuel door lever?
    8 - Get out and close the fuel door and then open the locks again.
    9 - Did you hear/see the lock on the rear door open, and stay open???????

If not, you now know why.
    If so, have someone pull on the handle from outside while you push the door outward from inside.

I have a feeling that the one rear door is locked, or re-locking automatically (thinks the fuel door is open)
    Last edited by 7PSI CRX-2; Today at 05:35 AM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements