Issues after replacing power steering pump
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Issues after replacing power steering pump

Issues after replacing power steering pump

Hi all,

My wife got her car back after an oil change and they said the right motor mount was shot and the power steering pump was leaking. I gathered all the parts and went to work.

For the power steering I disconnected the return line and attached to a drain hose then ran for a couple of seconds to drain the reservoir since I was replacing that too. I ran about 5 seconds to flush out any gunk.

Not too many problems removing and replacing the pump and I put in the new reservoir and filled it to the top. I was watching a youtube video (yeah, I know...) about topping up, turning the wheel to the left with the engine on, shutting it off, return to center, then repeat to the right side to clean out whatever is left over in the system. This was all fine.

Now, probably the stupid part. I got one of those inline filters with a magnet in that's supposed to collect metallic bits. Filled the reservoir again and turned on the engine and it sucked the fluid right up so topped it off. This is where I come unstuck. Now with the engine running and turning the wheel is seems to judder when turning, easy then hard, easy then hard...so the question is: Is this little filter stopping the proper flow and I now need to go procure a new suction line or have I already destroyed my new pump? Or could it be I've not properly bled the system?

My wife would like her van back to she would appreciate any help you can offer me and get me out the dog house.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You don't need to turn on engine to flush out ps fluid fluid, this is actually sort of dangerous once you starve the pump of fluid. Just jack up the front end of the car and put it on jack stands, turn key to the II position and you can turn the wheel freely to get fluid out, with the engine OFF. If you don't have jack stands, drive your front wheels onto a pair of cardboards that slide easily on the floor then you can do the same thing.

I would remove the filter, there is no need for that.
    Last edited by t-rd; Today at 09:00 AM.

She's on her way to get a new suction hose since I had to cut the original one to splice in the filter. I'm concerned that the pump is now screwed since it's making that shuddering as I turn the wheel. I guess I'll know once I replace the hose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Is it an OE pump?

Running it dry for short periods doesn’t seem to hurt them at all. Seen that happen many, many times. From your description it just sounds like the fluid is still aerated. Look for little bubbles in the reservoir to confirm.

Replace the suction o-ring if it didn't come with the new pump.

Put the new fluid to the proper level and start the engine. Turn the wheels a few times and then shut off the engine. Use this time to clean stuff up. Then go for a drive. If the system isn’t bled in this amount of time, and by doing these steps then you’ve got a suction side leak or a bad pump.

Honda P/S systems are stupid easy to bleed. Don’t ever try to over complicate it.

That filter may be enough of a restriction on the suction side to cause problems itself

Thanks for the additional advice. I followed t-rd's suggestion. I jacked the van up and moved the wheel side to side and the level went from the "cool" line to halfway between there and empty. I topped up to the cool and repeated and same thing. Did a final top up and repeated and the level stayed the same. Turned it on and no noise from the pump and I could see the fluid swirling in the reservoir so I knew circulation was good. Lowered it back down and took a test drive. The engine mount certainly made a difference, the old one was totally shot. Steered like a dream. Problem fixed. Thank you.

awesome!!

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements