A bunch of P030x codes
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: A bunch of P030x codes

A bunch of P030x codes

My wife's 2005 EX-L has an intermittent CEL and I finally got around to pulling the codes.
    Logged codes show P0300, P0302, P0304, and P0305 but it also has pending codes of P0301 and P0306.

I'm not even sure where to start. I did replace her plugs with NGK's I think, I'm going to have to pull them to make sure but assuming the plugs are good, where do I start to look on this one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The EX-L for that year has the VCM that turns off cylinders to conserve fuel and that system is known to foul plugs and burn oil, so definitely check your plugs. I'm pretty sure those are all mis-fire codes. You haven't noticed any missing or rough idling/running of the motor? The other common issue for mis-fires is the coil packs.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Given that your model has VCM, I recommend you buy and install a VCM Muzzler device. Otherwise your misfires will continue or get worse. Plus VCM causes piston ring failure, excessive oil consumption and damaged engine mounts. You need to nip this in the bud. All those misfires codes are telling you something.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There has been some shuddering so there's definitely an issue.
    I'll double check the plugs and if they look OK then I'll maybe see about replacing the coil packs but it would seem odd for 3-4 of them to go out around the same time. I'll also look into the VCM Muzzler.

Quote Originally Posted by nelgin View Post

I'll also look into the VCM Muzzler.

It is a MUST HAVE upgrade for 2005-2010 EXL and Touring.
    2010 Odyssey EX RES Canadian
    Bought @130K with preexisting trans problems
    DIYs:
    1.Timing belt with all related parts ( Continental kit ) + drive belt tensioner
    2. B&A Passenger side engine mount.
    3. Complete ATF change, DW1
    4. ATF changed to Valvoline MaxLife - slippage gone!
    5. Low beam bulbs replaced with 9012 HIR2. Twice more light!
    6. B&A control arms
    7. CENTRIC 12040064/12040065 Rotors, Akebono ProACT pads
    8. Magnefine ATF filter
    9. Lubegard Shudder Fix - better shifting

If you are getting the codes and shuttering, one or more of your coils is bad. You can use the coil drop test to find the bad coil and then replace it (quite easy). There are a few threads here on bad coils, read through them. This is a relatively common occurrence on the vans after some miles and time. Replacing the coil does the trick. Sounds like you have the plug thing addressed.

Don't assume your new plugs haven't fouled.

Not making any assumptions. I'm going to pull one of the plugs tonight now the engine is cold and verify the type. After that I'll go through the coils and check those. Ive had to replace one recently on my 2007 Maxima so am familiar with the problem of coils.

How many miles on this vehicle? Everyone thinks just because there is a misfire that there must be a bad coil. Usually the coils are not the problem. A symptom of a bad coil would be a cylinder specific misfire (it happens on the same cylinder all the time) and will either be all the time or when warmed up.

In this case, you have multiple cylinders misfiring. Often the cause is VCM related in cylinders 1-4 but since you also have 5 & 6 misfiring it makes me think that may not be it. If you're over 150K miles and it has never had a valve adjustment I would lean toward adjusting the valves. Random misfires on all cylinders is a common symptom of a 170-200K mile vehicle that's not had the valves adjusted.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Thank you for mentioning valve adjustment. I'm looking through all the paperwork she got back from the dealer after my wife got her oil change it is mentions operation ADJVLV6 - Adjust valves EXL/Touring 05/06. This is one I may not want to attempt myself since I usually don't do the engine stuff but they're wanting $650 just in labor to do it.

I did pull the spark plugs and it looks like I got the wrong ones. Entering the VIN into one of the Honda parts sites it tells me I should use NGK LZFR5K11 plugs but I've got LZFR6K11. I'm not sure that they'll really make that much difference. I'm thinking this valve adjustment is the way to go.

Now, on the plug I pulled out, I noticed a small black mark but I don't think there's anything that shows anything unusual for this plug? I didn't have time to pull the others. This was from the front right (as you're looking towards the vehicle), sorry not sure which cylinder that is.

Attachment 148199

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements