HIR Headlight Bulbs
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HIR Headlight Bulbs

HIR Headlight Bulbs

I just replaced the lo beam bulbs with the new Toshiba HIR bulbs from Daniel Stern - around $55 shipped.

Anyone else have these? Your observations?

My initial thoughts are that they are not as bright as the lumens suggest. Then again, we don't really drive at night very much and I just looked at the lights in the garage right after install.

I may also do the headlight wiring upgrade where a relay is added.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    05 Silver Pearl Metallic EX - Hers
    99 Supercharged Mazda Miata - Mine
    02 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Beater
    05 Twin Girls - Ours
    07 Little Man - Ours

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I received my 9012/HIR2 low-beam bulbs from Daniel Stern a few weeks ago but haven't installed them yet. I contacted Daniel to inquire about upgraded H4 bulbs for my Mazda and also asked about the Odyssey, it seems a few years ago he was not recommending the HIR bulb in our application (refer to the 9011 Bulb thread) but now says the headlight beam pattern changed early in 2005 and the HIR bulb is a nice upgrade. It seems to be the next best thing to a HID upgrade.

I currently have Silverstars which are just over 1 year old so I expect them to burn out any day now, the HIR 9012 is rated at 800 hours from a few sources compared to 1000 hours on stock bulbs and 150 hours on the Silverstar.
    '15 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
    '05 Odyssey EX-L/RES Midnight Blue Pearl (sold)
    '12 Infiniti G37xS AWD Graphite Shadow
    '11 Lexus IS250 AWD Deep Sea Mica

After reading all of the www.odyclub.com lighting threads and in particular reading the information on the www.finemotoring.com
    Website, I purchased the HIR 9011 (9005 high beam equivalent) and 9012 (9006 low beam equivalent) lights from eBay item 170153546935
    I paid $105.80 for all four lights shipped. That’s 26.45 for each light.

The recipient of these new lights will be our new 2007 Odyssey EX-L RES NAV. The lights will arrive next week. I plan on posting the following pictures:

1. Both factory installed halogen lights High &low beam
    2. A stock headlight on one side and a HIR on the other
    3. Both HIR head lights High & Low beam
    4. Side by side photographs cut and pasted together showing both the High & Low pictures side by side of the HIR and factory halogens.

Dont hold your breath, but I may even purchase an xtravision bulb to throw into the mix just for comparison.

I am disregarding testimony from other members pertaining to how difficult it is to replace the high beam lights....I may regret this later, however for better or for worse they're getting installed. Primarily because the idea of turning my high beams into "photon torpedoes" is too irresistible.

Before I sold our 2002 EX-L RES NAV I had installed Sylvania Silver Stars. While the SS were defiantly whiter that the xtravisions they replaced; I wouldn’t say they were brighter or illuminated any further down the road. My impression is that whiter seems brighter. After reading the fine motor article I regret purchasing the Silver Stars.

I resisted the urge to order the HID bulbs that fit into the stock halogen receptacles because I did not want to blind other drivers. I did not perform any further research to verify if Honda actually changed the headlights in the Odyssey to eliminate the lack of light "sharp horizontal cutoff" described in the 9011 Bulb post

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I look for forward to reading about your impressions.

As I've posted elsewhere, the difference between Sylvania Silverstars, Osram Silverstars and the Sylvania XtraVisions were negligible at best (on my Miata H4 headlights).

The price just isn't worth it.

However, with Daniel Stern selling the HIRs, I thought it was worth the price. If we drove the Ody more often at night, I may be able to evaluate their effectiveness better, but...

When the HIRs burn out eventually, I may just order HIDs for the Ody.

Originally posted by Curiodyssey
    After reading all of the www.odyclub.com lighting threads and in particular reading the information on the www.finemotoring.com
    Website, I purchased the HIR 9011 (9005 high beam equivalent) and 9012 (9006 low beam equivalent) lights from eBay item 170153546935
    I paid $105.80 for all four lights shipped. That’s 26.45 for each light.

The recipient of these new lights will be our new 2007 Odyssey EX-L RES NAV. The lights will arrive next week. I plan on posting the following pictures:

4. Side by side photographs cut and pasted together showing both the High & Low pictures side by side of the HIR and factory halogens.

Dont hold your breath, but I may even purchase an xtravision bulb to throw into the mix just for comparison.

I am disregarding testimony from other members pertaining to how difficult it is to replace the high beam lights....I may regret this later, however for better or for worse they're getting installed. Primarily because the idea of turning my high beams into "photon torpedoes" is too irresistible.

Before I sold our 2002 EX-L RES NAV I had installed Sylvania Silver Stars. While the SS were defiantly whiter that the xtravisions they replaced; I wouldn’t say they were brighter or illuminated any further down the road. My impression is that whiter seems brighter. After reading the fine motor article I regret purchasing the Silver Stars.

I resisted the urge to order the HID bulbs that fit into the stock halogen receptacles because I did not want to blind other drivers. I did not perform any further research to verify if Honda actually changed the headlights in the Odyssey to eliminate the lack of light "sharp horizontal cutoff" described in the 9011 Bulb post
    05 Silver Pearl Metallic EX - Hers
    99 Supercharged Mazda Miata - Mine
    02 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Beater
    05 Twin Girls - Ours
    07 Little Man - Ours

Hello! Do you have any comment/photos about your HIR? Thanks!
    2005 Odyssey EX-L
    2013 Impreza Premium

I put the low HIR in the low and the Hi HIR in the HI and i like thm

I would like to try the Hi HIR in the low.....
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

Originally posted by KiteSquid
    I put the low HIR in the low and the Hi HIR in the HI and i like thm

I would like to try the Hi HIR in the low.....
    Have you had any trouble installing these bulbs?
    I tried to install 9012 on 2009 Ody. But it does not fit. I did the tab trimming as instructed so the tab is not the problem. The base of 9012 is larger than stock bulb. It just does not fit. How did you install it?

OK, I found answer with some google search.

I had to modify the base. Base of HIR is thicker than 9006.

Last edited by thelinux; 03-28-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Originally posted by thelinux
    Have you had any trouble installing these bulbs?
    I tried to install 9012 on 2009 Ody. But it does not fit. I did the tab trimming as instructed so the tab is not the problem. The base of 9012 is larger than stock bulb. It just does not fit. How did you install it?
    Mine went in with the tab trimming, but I also loosened the three screws in the lamp that holds the bulbs as I have large hands and it is difficult for me to get to the bulbs...
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Hidden Content

'06 Accord LX SE, Silver

Previous rides:

Thumbs up

Originally posted by KiteSquid
    Mine went in with the tab trimming, but I also loosened the three screws in the lamp that holds the bulbs as I have large hands and it is difficult for me to get to the bulbs...
    +1

I had to loosen the 3 screws on each retaining ring. It is a real pain to get to some of the bulbs due to the obstacles under the hood. I put HIR in both High and Low beam lights. I am happy with them and have also put them in my 06 Acura RL and 08 Ford Taurus.
    2013 EX-L, RES, foglights, subwoofer, OEM trans cooler, HIR High and Low beams, tinted windows
    2006 EX-L, NAV, RES, billet lower grille, foglights, subwoofer, OEM trans & P/S cooler, HIR High and Low beams (sold)
    2000 EX (sold)

I just remembered that I also put a little dielectric compound on the o-rings.

I will also be installing them in my wife's car too.

I do wish they made a HIR in H4 and H3, PAR36 or 801 so I could use this technology on my motorcycle too.
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

Current rides:
    Hidden Content

'06 Accord LX SE, Silver

Previous rides:

I had to trim away the base of the bulb. Without doing it, the bulb did not sit tight.
    Even if after the base trimming, I still had to loosen two screws to get this thing to be installed. Do you guys have 2005-2007 model? Mine is 2009 and 2008-2009 has different headlight housing than 2005-2007.

Anyway, I did some driving in the night. The result was somewhat disappointing. Honestly, I don't see much improvement in terms of brightness.
    9006 - 1000 lumens
    9012 - 1870 lumens.
    It is supposed to be about twice brighter but some how I don't see much difference.

I know some people put 9011 for low beam got a lot better result. But that I don't want to do because it's illegal.

OK, so was this worth $60 for me???
    No. I should have saved it for HID retrofit project.

BTW, the ebay seller raised the price of 9012 to almost $40. Toshiba stopped making this anymore. That's why.

rallylights.com still sells them for under $30.

can someone who has put the 9011 (hi beams) into their low beam socket post their results? I'd like to put 9011 in my low, but I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

Anyone have any experience? Are any adjustments to the aim the lights lower?

John

bump...anyone have any input?

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast