Removal of sunglass tray and lights to hardwire radar/GPS
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of sunglass tray and lights to hardwire radar/GPS

Removal of sunglass tray and lights to hardwire radar/GPS

I want to hardwire my radar and GPS above/near the rearview mirror. I do not have a sunroof, but I noticed there is a fused circuit labeled "sunroof" on the driver's side fuse box.

What I am thinking is that since there is a fuse there, maybe the wiring runs up to where the sunroof should be. Then I can just tap into it.

I already bought an add-a-circuit, and I don't mind running wire up the pillar to power the radar/gps, but it would be even cleaner if I could just use an existing run that is not in use.

Any thoughts? Also, how do i remove the sunglass console, etc? If you open the sunglass holder there are 2 screws. I removed them and it loosens the housing, but there must be some other screws hidden under the Homlink or map lights.

TIA,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

you need to pry out the two map lights. Behind them are two more screws. Once you have all 4 screws out the console will be able to come down. You will see plugs for the lights and homelink. If you don't find a wire for the sunroof power, you might just tap into the pre-wire for the auto dimming mirror. Your vehicle should have a plug up there, probably secured with blue colored tape. That powers up when you start the car. Good luck!
    Acura Sales Manager

Vehicles Owned Presently:
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring (Tafetta White)
    2004 Acura TL Navi (Diamond White Pearl)
    1994 Honda Civic LX Sedan (Frost White)
    1990 Honda CR-X SI (Championship White)
    1986 Honda Civic Custom Convertible (featured in Low Rider Magazine) (Magenta Kandy, with Multi-color graphics)
    Honda Gas powered lawn mower (Red)
    Honda Gas powered Power washer (Black)
    2000 Toyota Tacoma (Silver)

dm5
    see attached link for detailed instructions. I tapped into the auto dim mirror wiring for my radar detector power.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilot/Mirror.pdf

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

On vans equipped with a sunroof, the switch for it is to the left of the driver.

Originally posted by dm5
    see attached link for detailed instructions. I tapped into the auto dim mirror wiring for my radar detector power.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilot/Mirror.pdf
    If I don't have the autodim mirror, will the wiring still be in the headliner? In the instructions on handa it looks like if you don't have the autodim mirror, you have to run the wiring from the passwnger kick panel.

John

I just wanted to update on my install. I removed the overhead console on my 06 EX. There were not any wiring bundles for sunroof or day/night mirror in there (that I could find). There was a wire bundle for the Homelink and one for the lights. That's it.

Since I wanted to power a GPS and a radar, I decided to run my own power up the passenger side pillar. I was not sure if it would be ok to tap into the wiring for the overhead lights. The hardest part was finding a switched circuit! I don't know how these things work in new vehicles. On my old explorer, you just test each fuse for power with the key on, then off.

In the passenger side kick panel there is a fuse for the heated seat. Well, as far as I know, my EX does not have heated seats, so I figured I could tap into that safely. The owner's manual even states that the key has to be in the on position for the heated seats to function. Perfect! But, as it turns out, that circuit (and all of them in the passenger kick panel) have power even with the key off! I had planned on just using an add-a-fuse to tap into the fuse. Does anyone know how those circuits work in the Ody? Is there a relay somewhere bewteen the fuse and the heated seat that shuts off power when the key is off? I am not an electrician and don't know how this works. I expected that with the key off that fuse 6 would have 0 volts, then when I turn the key to ON that it would have 12 volts. but it had 12 volts all the time.

I ended up just trying every spot on each wiring harness in the passenger kick panel until I found one that did not have a wire in it and was 0 volts key off, and 12 volts key on. I found one quickly (it was right below fuse 6). If someone wants, i'll take a pic and post it. Anyway, I ran from there, up the passenger pillar, and successfully wired in my radar and GPS above the rear view mirror. DW is happy. Next project is to add in my Omnifi DMP-1. Anyone done that yet?
    John

thanks for the updates. u are right, all the connections in the fuse box are hot all the time, at least in the driver side kick panel. I will try the 1 below fuse 6 in the passenger side kick panel.

When u said there is "no wire in it", do you mean there is no fuse in it? i am little confuse.

anyway I will try it this weekend to see.

Wow, this is an old thread. To be hones, I don't remember exactly what I meant by that. I THINK that what I meant was that there didn't appear to be anything running off that circuit. Maybe it was for a feature that I don't have on my Ody.

I'll have to visually check it and see it that jogs my memory. I won't have a chance for a few days though.
    John

When I hardwired my radar detector, I tried several spots in the driver's side fuse panel before I realized the #3 ACC (Accessory) was the right one to use. That's what I'm using right now.

The link with pictures is here (and in my sig):

http://istargazer.blogspot.com/2007/...-v1-radar.html
    Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content
    2006 Touring (RES + NAV + Hidden Content ) Black on Black - Canadian Spec: no PAX
    ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~
    Hidden Content ~ COBB Stage 1 w/Launch Control
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Stargazer
    When I hardwired my radar detector, I tried several spots in the driver's side fuse panel before I realized the #3 ACC (Accessory) was the right one to use. That's what I'm using right now.

The link with pictures is here (and in my sig):

http://istargazer.blogspot.com/2007/...-v1-radar.html
    Nice work, Stargazer. I plan to hardwire my new Passport 8500 X50 in the Pilot soon, and I will definately use your link as a guide!!
    2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 6 speed - San Marino Red
    2015 Toyota Highlander XLE - Blizzard Pearl
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

Originally posted by psu ody fan
    Nice work, Stargazer. I plan to hardwire my new Passport 8500 X50 in the Pilot soon, and I will definately use your link as a guide!!
    Hey psu, as an Islanders fan, I cannot wait for your Pens to BURY the Rangers. If they can remove that horrible thorn in my paw, I am with the pens all the way for this post season for sure!

Oh, yeah.. hope that wiring works out well too.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

Originally posted by MEGABURP
    Hey psu, as an Islanders fan, I cannot wait for your Pens to BURY the Rangers. If they can remove that horrible thorn in my paw, I am with the pens all the way for this post season for sure!

Oh, yeah.. hope that wiring works out well too.
    thanks. I'm tired of hearing Jagr and Remmy complaining about Sid's "diving". Pens are playing tough hockey right now.....I took my 10 year old to his first playoff hockey game on Sunday, and he hasn't stopped talking about it since! GO PENS!!!!!
    2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 6 speed - San Marino Red
    2015 Toyota Highlander XLE - Blizzard Pearl
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

Originally posted by psu ody fan
    thanks. I'm tired of hearing Jagr and Remmy complaining about Sid's "diving". Pens are playing tough hockey right now.....I took my 10 year old to his first playoff hockey game on Sunday, and he hasn't stopped talking about it since! GO PENS!!!!!
    Good for your son, he is seeing some great hockey by a great team. There is nothing like playoff hockey! My 17 year old son was at the Garden last night to watch the pens handle the rangers. And I am actually at a hotel in Pitt right now to move my dauther out from Duquesne for the summer.
    Go Pens Go!!

And yeah, hope the wiring goes well.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

nice work Stargazer. is your ground wire going across the firewall?? if so, any pointers where you were able to cross the firewall?? thanks.

Sorry, no tips about going through the firewall. It was hard but I found a bracket just under the steering wheel to ground the wire.
    Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content
    2006 Touring (RES + NAV + Hidden Content ) Black on Black - Canadian Spec: no PAX
    ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~ Hidden Content ~
    Hidden Content ~ COBB Stage 1 w/Launch Control
    Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast