Swapping middle row outer seats
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swapping middle row outer seats

Swapping middle row outer seats

Hi,

I am in the process of buying 2012 EX-L Odyssey. I want to remove middle seat for the passage to third row. I realized that outer seats do not have arm rest on inside. Can i swap both the seats so that i get arm rests on inside and use door panel as support on other side? I really appreciate comments from someone who did this. It seems honda is so stupid not to give armrests on both side.

Thanks,
    Shah

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I doubt it because how are you going to buckle the seat belt?

Thanks. I was stupid, just thinking like honda engineers!!! Is there any after market solution to add inner armrests for seond row captain's chairs? I think this will be a deal breaker for me.

Shah

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yeah. Seat belts would be an issue, and I believe the attachment points on the floor are asymmetrical. Perhaps you could just switch just the BACKS of the seats? Much disassembly required though, if it's even possible.
    Currently: 2011 Touring Elite, Dark Cherry
    Previously: 2008 Evo, 2003 NSX, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX-7

Banned
    I am sure you can buy just armrests from Honda and with little modifications have them retrofitted. The problem is you won't be able to use the middle seat anymore.

I thought the arm rests were built into the centre seat, once folded ?

I suspect the deal breaker issue would be the PITA of access to the third row, with the centre seat in place. ie flipping an outer seat forward and keeping the centre seat in place ?

There must be some logical reason for lack of inner arm rests. But plenty of choices out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NasaMoose View Post
    There must be some logical reason for lack of inner arm rests. But plenty of choices out there.
    There are no inner armrests in order to fit a full sized middle seat. Otherwise they would probably have to go with the junior sized seat found in the previous generation Honda Odyssey and current Toyota Sienna.

I prefer the full sized middle seat as that is where I place my convertible car seat, but I can also understand where some would prefer armrests. It's all tradeoffs.

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring (Canadian) · Polished Metal Metallic

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by NasaMoose View Post
    I thought the arm rests were built into the centre seat, once folded ?

I suspect the deal breaker issue would be the PITA of access to the third row, with the centre seat in place. ie flipping an outer seat forward and keeping the centre seat in place ?

Yeah, that is what Honda thought:

"Not only does the center seat make a great arm rest, but we increased its width by four inches to make it a seat everyone can enjoy sitting in."

Honda Media Newsroom - Odyssey - 2011 Honda Odyssey Video Press Conference Remarks by Art St. Cyr, Chief Engineer and Steven Frey, Principal Engineer Honda R&D Americas, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstom1 View Post
    I prefer the full sized middle seat as that is where I place my convertible car seat, but I can also understand where some would prefer armrests. It's all tradeoffs.
    Deal maker for us too, but let's see when the kids outgrow the car/booster seats (and if we still own the car), I bet that can become an issue

Quote Originally Posted by evel333 View Post
    Perhaps you could just switch just the BACKS of the seats? Much disassembly required though, if it's even possible.
    Interesting idea, volunteers anyone?

MIDDLE SEAT (L.). Fits: Honda | Sons Honda

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - My other people mover w/6MT (theirs)

Hidden Content

I bought it as we can get two car seats and an adult in the second row. Rarely use the third at the moment. My other thought was when the jnrs are in car seats they will likely have arm rests attached. When they are bigger the folded middle seat will work well. However, if I needed access to third row I ca see it being a PITA.

I am not sure now how long we will keep it, the interior plastics are starting to look, well, and I am pretty careful. At they fixed the Battery....

I hope honda would have offered 7 seat option also. Just to confirm the problem, i went for a test drive with a friend who is also in the market looking for a van. He also confirmed that seating without arm rests in outer chair will be really difficult for a long journey.

I checked with few honda dealers whether they heard about this problem and any after market solution. So far no response.

Since the LX does not have a center seat, I would guess the middle row seats have two armrests although I have not looked. If that is the case you might look for two seats from a junked LX. Of course, there would not be very many junked LX's yet and you would still have a problem finding matching seats.

The LX only has one arm rear per 2nd row seat and that only arm rest is placed on inside, no arm rest ouside. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the 2nd row seats of the LX.

2012 New Honda Odyssey LX at Marin Honda Serving SAN RAFAEL, CA, IID 7702528

I guess that is how to reduce the cost of the 2nd row seat back assembly. Honda will just install the seat back assemblies differently for LX and for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by umkai View Post
    The LX only has one arm rear per 2nd row seat and that only arm rest is placed on inside, no arm rest ouside.
    ...these guys...

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - My other people mover w/6MT (theirs)

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by alpha076 View Post
    I hope honda would have offered 7 seat option also. Just to confirm the problem, i went for a test drive with a friend who is also in the market looking for a van. He also confirmed that seating without arm rests in outer chair will be really difficult for a long journey.

I checked with few honda dealers whether they heard about this problem and any after market solution. So far no response.
    thay do its the lx!

I decided to buy sienna xle because lack of arm rests in odyssey was a deal breaker for me. I hope honda changes that in refresh to stop loyal customers like me from churning.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast