When to change oil? I usually change oil when the oil life is at 30%
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to change oil? I usually change oil when the oil life is at 30%

When to change oil? I usually change oil when the oil life is at 30%

wondering at what percent other people change their oil. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Honda seems to push the dealers to leave the original oil in until the Maintenance Minder says 15% or less. The reason is that there are break-in additives in the oil. The newer Hondas use synthetic oil so you can go a bit longer. I plan to change the oil at about 15% or so unless I have a road trip coming up that will put me past the Maintenance Minder Oil life. Then I might change it a bit earlier. Note that when the display says 30%, it could actually be 21%-30% unless you notice it when it changes to 30%.

Every 5,000 miles unless I was somebody who put only a few thousand miles a year then I would do it in the fall and again in the spring.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Depends on how long you want to keep your van. I shoot for 300K miles and maintain accordingly. Full synthetic oil every 5K and 3X synthetic trans fluid every 20K.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

I change mine every time I see a when to change oil or what is the maintenance schedule question thread. Sometimes I have to change my oil like 2 - 4 times a DAY.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content

LOL, good one. Change oil after each meal.

I'm perhaps over-conservative, but we keep the van a long time. We use full synthetic and change it at 15-20% on the OLM. That tends to be around 6,500 to 7,000 miles in our use, which matches up well with how I did the 2003 (that at 203k miles is spotless under the valve cover, burns no oil and just got me 27mpg on a 700 mile trip this weekend).

I stick with what I find to work, but that means I don't adopt new ideas quickly either. Our 2003 also never saw anything but 5w30. In the new one, I'm using Mobil 1 5w20 (except for one quart of 5w30 each time since I tow with the van sometimes).

Instead of running the oil longer, I buy the stuff on sale at Costco when it's ~$4.15/quart.
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (Gone - sniff!)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg
    2010 Beetle 2.5 slushbox (VW: midget-contortionist mechanics wanted!)

Quote Originally Posted by manualman View Post
    I'm perhaps over-conservative, but we keep the van a long time. We use full synthetic and change it at 15-20% on the OLM. That tends to be around 6,500 to 7,000 miles in our use, which matches up well with how I did the 2003 (that at 203k miles is spotless under the valve cover, burns no oil and just got me 27mpg on a 700 mile trip this weekend).

I stick with what I find to work, but that means I don't adopt new ideas quickly either. Our 2003 also never saw anything but 5w30. In the new one, I'm using Mobil 1 5w20 (except for one quart of 5w30 each time since I tow with the van sometimes).

Instead of running the oil longer, I buy the stuff on sale at Costco when it's ~$4.15/quart.
    I pretty much do the same with my Accord and the Oddy. Accord gets fresh full synthetic when the maintenance light turns on at 7500 miles (well between 6500 and 7500 it starts blinking that is when I change the oil) and with the Oddy, I do the change when the MM gets to between 10% and 0%.

I used to use Mobil 1 but stopped after the synthetic blend threads started popping up. I now use Shell full synthetic from BJ's. Comes in a box of 6 qt bottle of 5W30. I don't bother looking for the 5W20 for the Oddy and if I find it, I use it. If not, 5W30 it is. What ever I have on hand at the time of the change.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

I check my oil regularly but it has never gone down, so i never had to change it.

I was looking at a used car one time and was told that...seriously. The oil looked like tar.

But seriously, I change it way more often than suggested.

aus
    You guys using synthetic early are way over doing it. In my 2005 van, I ran synthetic to 10,000 miles repeatedly, and sent a sample to Blackstone for evaluation, and everythign was PRISTINE.
    They even said I could let the oil go at least another 1,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    I change mine every time I see a when to change oil or what is the maintenance schedule question thread. Sometimes I have to change my oil like 2 - 4 times a DAY.
    awesome

Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    You guys using synthetic early are way over doing it. In my 2005 van, I ran synthetic to 10,000 miles repeatedly, and sent a sample to Blackstone for evaluation, and everythign was PRISTINE.
    They even said I could let the oil go at least another 1,000 miles.
    Ditto, if you really want to know when to change your oil, pay the $35 and have it tested a few times. Blackstone will tell you how much life is left in the oil and give you a rough guesstimate on how healthy your engine is based on what they find in the oil. The only other question is the life of the oil filter, but you can cut that open yourself and just do a visual inspection.

You paid more for the Blackstone analysis than I did on the extra oil change.

Just sayin!

Besides, it's REAL cheap insurance. My 2003 Ody with 203k miles on it is pristine under the valve covers. Everything is clean. And at 6.5k changes, I'd stand a better chance of detecting a problem before it is too late than those going 10k plus. (Leaky injector, for example).

But my best example was my old Jetta. People scoffed at me for insisting on M1 0w40 when the manual permitted any old 5w30 to be used. At least until 1.8T engines started routinely turning into sludge monsters. Not mine!

My practice costs me an extra $30 a year. Money well spent in my book.
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (Gone - sniff!)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg
    2010 Beetle 2.5 slushbox (VW: midget-contortionist mechanics wanted!)

Hello everyone, I live in Lima Peru, I have my Ody EXL 2012 and I use Chevron SAE 10W30 every 5,000 km according to every service dealers asked here. Also I use Dura Oil SB3 as friction modifier additive for protecting my "Iron" during metal-metal contact (Boundary and Mixed lubrication regimen). I add DuraOilSB3 (8Oz) every year.
    Hope this help
    Best Regards
    Edgar

When to change oil? I usually change oil when the oil life is at 30%-screenshot4377.jpgWhen to change oil? I usually change oil when the oil life is at 30%-screenshot4376.jpg

I just changed mine with 1000 miles with Castrol advanced full synthetic oil with OEM Honda filter, and also I noticed the transmission is kinda sluggish, so I changed it out to ENEOS full synthetic, and it's alot more responsive..I personally don't like the oil life meter, I don't think it's accurate. Before when I had my 06 TSX I would change it at 40%

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast