Middle Row Seats - Moving Driver side seat to middle???
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Middle Row Seats - Moving Driver side seat to middle???

Middle Row Seats - Moving Driver side seat to middle???

Newby here. I really did search.

I am looking at the 2015 or 2016 Touring Elite (and the Chrysler T&C Ltd Platinum) for my use as well as to accommodate my Greyhound Dog.

I require dog access from the Driver Side and I do not want to remove the driver side outboard seat. Per the salesman, I can remove the middle seat and slide the driver's side seat over to the right next to the passenger side seat.

However, in searching here it seems this was possible in like 2003, and not possible in 2011. (Although in 2011 you move the passenger side seat over to the left.

Can anyone verify that I can actually shift the driver's side seat over resulting in a wider access to the rear on the driver's side?

Thanks for consideration!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have found numerous on-line references for 2015s saying, "the second-row seat can be transformed in order to create either a middle aisle or a side aisle for third-row access."

My salesman just called, and he said that the side aisle can not be created on the driver side - it is unclear whether he believes it can even be created on the passenger side.

Would love to hear from someone that owns one and can remove the confusion. It will likely be a deal breaker and drive me to another minivan, unless the Greyhound would go in front of the outside seat and back through the center aisle. Physically there looks like the space is there, but ...

Just remember this: if the salesman said you can, you most likely can't I don't think you can make the anchors fit and in any case, you'll definitely have a seatbelt problem as the center position seatbelt only works with the center seat. I'm fairly certain honda will have made it not fit on purpose for that reason alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

iirc, if the middle seat/tray is 12" wide.. the passenger side and drivers side can move in 6" to close the gap. therefore only 6" will be available on either side. i am not sure on the exact measurements... but you get the idea.
    2014 Odyssey TE WDP| OEM Hood Deflector | OEM Window Visors | OEM Body Molding | OEM Door Edge Guard | OEM Mudflaps | OEM 2nd Row Seat Covers | OEM Door Sills | WeatherTech All Weather Floor Mats (1st/2nd/3rd/Cargo) | 3M Crystalline all around, Suntek on Front windshield | G1W Dash Cam (Front/Rear) |

2012 Toyota Highlander Limited 4WD
    1994 Mazda Miata - 10k miles

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
    iirc, if the middle seat/tray is 12" wide.. the passenger side and drivers side can move in 6" to close the gap. therefore only 6" will be available on either side. i am not sure on the exact measurements... but you get the idea.
    Definitely not. They can move out by about 2 inches to help fit 3 child seats but they can't move in.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
    Definitely not. They can move out by about 2 inches to help fit 3 child seats but they can't move in.
    Got it, tnx.

Not asking about "moving" the seat by operating the seat... Asking about removing center seat, and then physically moving the driver seat over to the right and using the right track previously used by the middle seat plus the right track originally used by that driver side seat.

I found an old thread here that sai like in 2003 you could do this - however only moving the passenger to the left.

lots of the individual dealer web sites say that you can create a "center aisle" or a "side aisle." I can not find this language at the Honda site.

if they can move out 2", doesnt that mean they can move back (in) 2"? i have moved them out to the max to accommodate 3 car seats and had to move them out as far as possible. it's not the 6" i said (those were just sample #'s)... but you are correct, you cannot remove the middle and shrink the space to zero.

so salty, i dont think there is a way to do what you want. maybe remove one seat completely and utilize 3rd row?
    2014 Odyssey TE WDP| OEM Hood Deflector | OEM Window Visors | OEM Body Molding | OEM Door Edge Guard | OEM Mudflaps | OEM 2nd Row Seat Covers | OEM Door Sills | WeatherTech All Weather Floor Mats (1st/2nd/3rd/Cargo) | 3M Crystalline all around, Suntek on Front windshield | G1W Dash Cam (Front/Rear) |

2012 Toyota Highlander Limited 4WD
    1994 Mazda Miata - 10k miles

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

so salty, i dont think there is a way to do what you want. maybe remove one seat completely and utilize 3rd row?
    My granddaughters will not allow.

sad that there was a way to this years ago. Sort of.

I just went and measured it:
    - The outer seats have anchors 17" apart.
    - The center seat has anchors 10" apart.
    - The widest you can get in the center is 15" by grabbing one center seat anchor bar and one of the outer seat anchor bar.

So it won't fit by two inches. It's unfortunate, it would be a nice feature if they could make it work. I suspect the seatbelt is the biggest issue here.

I just went and measured it:
    - The outer seats have anchors 17" apart.
    - The center seat has anchors 10" apart.
    - The widest you can get in the center is 15" by grabbing one center seat anchor bar and one of the outer seat anchor bar.

So it won't fit by two inches. It's unfortunate, it would be a nice feature if they could make it work. I suspect the seatbelt is the biggest issue here.
    Woodpecker,

Thanks for for the definitive answer. In my 1999 Grand Caravan I have removed the driver side middle row seat. I have the choice of storing it in my garage OR storing it behind the rear seat. I dislike both options and will not do it on a new purchase.

i talked to some long-time Greyhound owners yesterday. They suggested I am not giving the dog adequate credit for figuring out entry and exit from the vehicle and likely the dog would either go behind the outer seat just like a person OR if the middle seat were removed the dog woul cross in front of the outer seat and go back thu the middle.

The Chrysler T&C is a perfect solution should I have to remove tha seat. I looked at the Toyota Sienna and the entry for the dog would be a problem and I did not like the massive dash - made me feel I was locking out the front of a jet cockpit.

I do love the Odyssey - I'm disappointed that many reviews and dealer ads describe removing the middle seat and having either a center or a side aisle!

Thanks again, woodpecker. I should have rescued a Chihuahua.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post
    i talked to some long-time Greyhound owners yesterday. They suggested I am not giving the dog adequate credit for figuring out entry and exit from the vehicle and likely the dog would either go behind the outer seat just like a person OR if the middle seat were removed the dog woul cross in front of the outer seat and go back thu the middle.
    I'm not a dog guy but that makes sense. Leaving all 3 seats in place would also be safer in the event of an emergency stop or crash. Much better to have the dog hit the back of the seats than come flying at the dashboard.

I'm not a dog guy but that makes sense. Leaving all 3 seats in place would also be safer in the event of an emergency stop or crash. Much better to have the dog hit the back of the seats than come flying at the dashboard.
    I was an (English) Bulldog breeder and exhibitor for many years. I always crated my dogs when driving to/from dog shows as a simple matter of safety for them! I no longer breed or exhibit dogs, so I'm limited to nearly daily trips of less than two miles to take my Greyhound to one of the local parks.

I guess statistically I'm bucking the odss, but it is what it is.

Again, I do appreciate your effort to help me out. I'll come back and let you know what I ended up getting. (My wife will not let me get the Tesla convertible with the passenger seat removed.)

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements