2011 Odyssey EX-L Spool Valve- GASKET LEAKING: Help?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2011 Odyssey EX-L Spool Valve- GASKET LEAKING: Help?

Question 2011 Odyssey EX-L Spool Valve- GASKET LEAKING: Help?

My Honda dealer told me I have an oil leak in my 2011 Ody's Spool Valve (aka VTEC Solenoid) which could damage my alternator. They said they just need to replace the rubber gasket inside the Spool Valve...but it would cost $370!

When I pressed them for details, they admitted that they were just going to replace the entire Spool Valve, since "Honda doesn't sell the gasket by itself." Of course, I didn't have them do it since I figure a gasket should just be about $15-30. (They said the part is $175.80 and labor is $195)

Does anyone know the exact part # and where I might be able to buy it?

Is this a simple DIY repair, would a non-Honda shop be able to do it for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

VTEC (Spool Valve) Oil Leak - Car Died on Freeway

NEW INFO but Posting to an old Thread -

My good friend with a 2014 Ody EXL had his van die on the freeway while I was riding with him this week. Initial symptom was that his wipers went half speed or less when he did a single wipe. Then his ABS warning light went on, and he felt loss of power. He managed to get off onto an exit ramp and the van died at the top. His Odyssey has about 148K miles, faithfully dealer maintained.

He had just been to the dealer that morning for oil change, ATF change, and 'multi-point inspection' - nothing seemed wrong then. The dealer diagnosis: Spool Valve oil leak shorted alternator, and with no juice to charge it, the battery died.

The dealer is replacing the "spool valve", the alternator, and the battery. Over $700 in parts.

My question for all you owners of 2011-17 Odysseys is how many of you have had the spool valve gaskets leak, AND have any of you replaced the combination GASKET / FILTER made by Meyle and available from Rock Auto ? After my friend's experience, I am thinking of replacing just the gaskets and renewing alternator brushes at the same time. My 2012 Ody has about 155K miles on it.

Thanks for any feedback !

Related Link for 2006 Odyssey Gasket:
    Last edited by mariner4; 04-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Mariner4

2012 EXL

I recently did the timing belt job on my 2011 LX. Nothing too exciting there.

But I did a few of the optional things, like a valve adjustment, and replacement of the crank front seal. For that seal, which I bought from RockAuto, it came in a Fel-Pro TCS 46026 kit of gaskets. Basically a handful of seals, including the one I actually needed, for probably a better price than buying the crank seal individually - that's how parts economics sometimes works out.

Contents (says this on the back, but everything is O-rings. No part numbers given, except I found the VVT spool ... on the web):
    oil pump inlet tube
    o-ring
    solenoid base
    oil pressure relief valve
    oil filter adapter
    timing cover
    VVT spool valve filter 15825P8AA01

That last item might be the one you need. That part number there, or the Fel-Pro one above might help you in your search.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Rock Auto lists the Mahle B31938 filter/gasket for Odyssey through year 2013. About $6.

Interestingly the Felpro site calls their version an oil filter adapter gasket ?????
    Last edited by rmyoder; 04-22-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

Oldskewel and Rmyoder - Thanks !

I will check out both. The filter/gasket pieces seem much the same from both vendors, but the Felpro kit appears to include the O-ring for the oil pressure switch and the 'double O-ring' seal for the control solenoid.
    Mariner4

2012 EXL

More info . . . .

Update on VTEC (Spool Valve) Oil Leak - Car Died on Freeway -- NEW INFO but Posting to an old Thread -

My good friend with a 2014 Ody EXL had his van die on the freeway while I was riding with him this week. Initial symptom was that his wipers went half speed or less when he did a single wipe. Then his ABS warning light went on, and he felt loss of power. He managed to get off onto an exit ramp and the van died at the top. His Odyssey has about 148K miles, faithfully dealer maintained.

He had just been to the dealer that morning for oil change, ATF change, and 'multi-point inspection' - nothing seemed wrong then. The dealer diagnosis: Spool Valve oil leak shorted alternator, and with no juice to charge it, the battery died.

The dealer is replacing the "spool valve", the alternator, and the battery. Over $700 in parts.

My question for all you owners of 2011-17 Odysseys is how many of you have had the spool valve gaskets leak, AND have any of you replaced the combination GASKET / FILTER made by Meyle and available from Rock Auto ? After my friend's experience, I am thinking of replacing just the gaskets and renewing alternator brushes at the same time. My 2012 Ody has about 155K miles on it.

Thanks for any feedback !
    My friend has his van back. It seems to be just fine; the dealer replaced front spool valve (not just gasket) and alternator. It's unclear to me how much Honda Bond they used (and where), but they did the job over two days to allow sealant to cure overnight. I wonder if they used Honda Bond on the new valve to be sure the gasket doesn't fail again . . . noted for my next timing belt / water pump change.

He's pretty calm about this, except for two things:
    - His attempts to contact Honda America have garnered no response so far
    - He wants to know how a preventive safety and mechanical check that very morning managed to miss the leaking oil that killed the alternator.

He's not trolling for reimbursement, but more concerned about the safety implications for others. Remember, there was never any low-battery / charging system warning light, and the ABS icon only showed up just as the car died. He asked the dealer if there was any recommended PM or system check on this, and the answer was "no". He did get some good will discount on the labor, but no offer of extended warranty coverage.

This prompted me to go out and check our 2012 Ody EXL for any sign of a leak. It is tricky to see between the spool valve and the front valve cover down to the base of the valve where oil would leak to drip onto the alternator, but with the right light angle, it is possible. Mine's dry for now, but I will periodically take a look. If the rear valve leaks (on the other end of the block), it doesn't have an alternator to leak onto =).

P..S. My Honda shop manual says to remove the rocker arm carrier to replace just the spool valve, and alternator requires loosening the AC compressor. So if a shop charges actual time (not flat rate), the experienced Honda tech could be as cheap as an Indy who's less familiar with these things.
    Mariner4

2012 EXL

Quote Originally Posted by johnatkinson View Post
    Does anyone know the exact part # and where I might be able to buy it?

Is this a simple DIY repair, would a non-Honda shop be able to do it for a reasonable price?
    All info here: https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...ement-diy.html
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

2012 odyssey 2 weeks ago I got a P3497 code. cylinder deactivation system. took it to dealer and they replaced bank 2 spool valve and pressure switch. took nearly 2 full days. an hour after i picked it up I was waiting in parking lot to pick up my girls from school and when i went to start it, nothing. got a check charging system message. tried again and it started up. put my obd tool on and it read i had 14+volts so i didn't think of it. tonight it happened again while driving. OBD said 10 volts. got it home, shut off and tried to start again and got nothing. half hour later i tried again and it started. no message. OBD says 10.5 to 11v. I'll try to get it in tomorrow and prepared to hear spool valve leak damaged the alternator.

Update:

Thanks, MrRangerZr1, I suspect your 2-gasket replacement may solve most oil leak issues. The Honda shop manual that I have only documents changing out the entire spool valve BODY, which seals to the valve rocker arm carrier, so it is much more work.

Looking at Honda OE parts for my 2012 Odyssey, I see that only the spool valve solenoid and its own Siamese-twin O-ring are now listed as a part, not the whole valve body. From this I infer that the dealerships mostly don't follow that shop manual, but something close to the linked video - OR do they replace just the solenoid, which could still leave a leaking body ? I still wonder about the "cure time" and where they add sealant.

I see that Rock Auto sells gaskets, and the Siamesed O-rings.

Added for completeness - (cannot apparently edit my post after someone replies)
    Mariner4

2012 EXL

Last edited by John U; 04-29-2019 at 09:32 PM.

I’m responding to the post about the 2014 Odyssey with the spool valve leak. The same exact thing happened to my 2014 Odyssey this Tuesday. Luckily I was in a parking lot, reading something on my phone. The ABS warning light came on, then other warning lights, then car shut down. Car tried to start, sputtered, wouldn’t start. Had to get car towed to dealership. Dealership (a Honda dealer) called me yesterday to say the spool valve gasket leaked oil onto the alternator. The cost to repair and replace spool valve and alternator is $1856.00. If it had continued to leak, car could have gone up in flames. He said he saw a 2014 Odyssey with same exact issue last week. He said he’s only been there two weeks. I had him ask in the office and they said they have seen 5-6 2014 Odyssey’s with same issue. I asked if this should be a recall issue. He told me to call Honda. I just got off phone with Honda; a woman gave me a claim number, took notes, put me on hold, then said my car is outside the “parameters” for them to help me, as my car has 80,000 miles on it. She said dealer should call their Honda representative. I’m concerned this is a major safety issue. I could have been driving with my kids!!! Advice? Suggestions???

Lhz123 and others: I had this happen to me last year and a work colleague's sister had it happen to her. I replaced the alternator on my own because I couldn't stomach $850 from the dealer. I also attempted to reseal the spool valve using hondabond and the bolts in the spool valve stripped out on me. I was not imposing a lot of torque on the bolts. This is a design flaw. To be honest my entire Odyssey is a design flaw. But that's another story. I ended up getting the vehicle towed to Honda and they replaced the spool valve for $900 and did a valve adjustment. NOT IMPRESSED!!

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements