For Those With Transmission Issues on 2012-2015 Odysseys - Page 13
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: For Those With Transmission Issues on 2012-2015 Odysseys

Hi all, I had my torque converter replaced under warranty but I still get that harsh clunk shifting sporadically after starting a car that had been sitting overnight. Do you think the TSB 3x flush would still be provided free well after the warranty period? I'm at 80k miles now and had the warranty repair at 59k miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMunky View Post
    Hi all, I had my torque converter replaced under warranty but I still get that harsh clunk shifting sporadically after starting a car that had been sitting overnight. Do you think the TSB 3x flush would still be provided free well after the warranty period? I'm at 80k miles now and had the warranty repair at 59k miles.
    I guess it would be like pulling the teeth....
    2015 Odyssey EX-L with 23k
    2009 Accord EX-L with 820k
    2017 Prius Prime Premium with 11k

Quote Originally Posted by Roy2001 View Post
    I guess it would be like pulling the teeth....
    I'm lol'ing because that might be the case. Sigh.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
    UPDATE:

Hey folks,

As per my reply above, I called and setup an appointment with my dealer who got me in yesterday for TSB 16-060 to be performed due to the known judder issue I had with a full load, going uphill especially in hotter weather. I showed up with the TSB printout in hand and told my SA about my complaints. ( I had to de-VCMuzzle my car before I left home just in case.)

On the way there, I had noted that my car was noticeably juddering while cruising at about 65MPH on the highway while going up a mild incline with me onboard. The outside temps was about 95 degrees F and I can clearly see that my engine RPMs where jumping up and down within a range of about 200 RPMs...bouncing between 1500 and 1700 while my foot was completely steady, just like a manual transmission car's clutch slipping.
    Hi Everyone,
    I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 2012 Odyssey TE in the past year with about 80,000 miles and I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as this referenced post. If I set the cruise control to 65, the RPMs jump up and down and I feel the "judder" everyone is describing. I also feel it between 3rd and 4th gear when I am accelerating very slowly. If I give the car more gas, it seems to "push" past this rough point.

The reason I am concerned is that my Odyssey's VIN falls below the TSB 17-052 range. I am concerned that if I bring it to a dealership for a software update and fluid flush, they will point this out and try to charge me. But the issue is real and exactly as others are describing regardless of the VIN number!!!

I did a 2x fluid changeout with OEM fluid to try to rectify it but without any improvement. I had enough fluid to do a full 3x, but I figured, why waste the additional quarts if 2x shows zero improvement. Since my Odyssey has more miles than alot of the ones on this thread, I'm hoping that the torque converter isn't already shot. In any case, the only thing I can think of doing now without spending huge amounts of money is to buy an aftermarket fluid and hope for the best. Amsoil seems to be recommended by a lot of people on this thread.

I also plan on installing the VCM muzzler once it arrives, but I'm not sure how much that will help my existing issue.

Hi Everyone,
    A quick reply to my last post. I called Honda and they acknowledged a warranty extension on my torque converter and instructed me to take my Odyssey to the dealership. I was not happy to hear that I would still need to pay the $140 diagnostic fee, but if it got me a new torque converter, it would be worth it.

I took the Odyssey to the dealership and left it with them for 2 days. They connected their computer to the car and drove it and could not get a bad reading from the torque converter. However, the foreman was a longtime Ody owner and felt exactly what I was experiencing. He said it was the VCM coming on and off combined with engine mounts that were starting to weaken. He recommended doing nothing until the vibration got worse since these mounts are expensive to replace.

I ordered the VCMuzzler II and installed it when I got home from the dealership and the vibration is completely gone! To think that this "feature" was causing all of these problems. Wow.

Thank you to all of you for being out there and sharing your knowledge!

That is great news! I also gained a lot from joining this board; a lot of great people with a lot of Ody experience. One of the best pieces of advice was to disable the VCM. The next best was to replace the ATF frequently. I probably replace ATF more than necessary, but have had no problems with trans or engine.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

Interesting. I dont seem to have any shudder at high speeds, but right between 25-30mph, the judder is like a switch. Shakes at 25, and off after 30 mph. VC Muzzler doesnt do anything for it. Also changing ATF fluids every other oil change to keep it clean. Will be calling dealer soon. Anyone else have a vibration like this?

Quote Originally Posted by joe422 View Post
    Interesting. I dont seem to have any shudder at high speeds, but right between 25-30mph, the judder is like a switch. Shakes at 25, and off after 30 mph. VC Muzzler doesnt do anything for it. Also changing ATF fluids every other oil change to keep it clean. Will be calling dealer soon. Anyone else have a vibration like this?
    I do. I've had the Drain and Fill x3 done 3 times and it's still there. I only have 50K miles on my car and it has VCMuzzler since new.

So will Honda actually REPLACE the TC or just continue doing the drain and fill for free till 80K miles?
    2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Diamond White Pearl/Tan Interior
    2017 BMW 340ix M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
    I do. I've had the Drain and Fill x3 done 3 times and it's still there. I only have 50K miles on my car and it has VCMuzzler since new.

So will Honda actually REPLACE the TC or just continue doing the drain and fill for free till 80K miles?

Tranny Vibration is GONE!

Wierdest thing...

I just did an oil change yesterday, and added LiquiMoly CeraTec, with the Mobile1 0w-20... Engine feels super smooth. Will see later if there's any notable differences.

Also did a drain and fill on ATF again. Last time I did it was 5k miles ago (drained 3.5-4ish qts, and refilled about 4 qts from the top).
    This time tho, I only drained 2 qts... and replaced the plug. Then filled 4 qts through the top of the trans.
    I figured I'd like to have a lot of fluid in there, and want it to all swish around and mix before I drain a couple more qts.
    I started the engine and shifted the car out of P... and into R, N, D, etc... it was notable smooth. Couldnt feel a thing. ...so I decided to take it for a 1 mile drive around the neighborhood. Lo and behold...the vibration at 25-30mph is GONE! I just double checked all the drain/fill holes for tightness and called it a day. I supposedly have a couple extra qts of fluid in the trans... but there's no noticeable issue from this (yet).

Feels prefectly fine. Could I have been low on ATF? Did the extra ATF help it? Don't kno....
    however, my wive drove the Ody today, and came back telling me the car is smooth as well too, and all the typical vibration/judder she got used to is gone~
    Still too early to tell, but so far so good. Very happy~

(BTW, I'm also running and ATF cooler, and am monitoring ATF temps in real time, all the time. ATF temps are always good, never overheating.)
    Last edited by joe422; 03-18-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Tranny Vibration is GONE!

Wierdest thing...

I just did an oil change yesterday, and added LiquiMoly CeraTec, with the Mobile1 0w-20... Engine feels super smooth. Will see later if there's any notable differences.

Also did a drain and fill on ATF again. Last time I did it was 5k miles ago (drained 3.5-4ish qts, and refilled about 4 qts from the top).
    This time tho, I only drained 2 qts... and replaced the plug. Then filled 4 qts through the top of the trans.
    I figured I'd like to have a lot of fluid in there, and want it to all swish around and mix before I drain a couple more qts.
    I started the engine and shifted the car out of P... and into R, N, D, etc... it was notable smooth. Couldnt feel a thing. ...so I decided to take it for a 1 mile drive around the neighborhood. Lo and behold...the vibration at 25-30mph is GONE! I just double checked all the drain/fill holes for tightness and called it a day. I supposedly have a couple extra qts of fluid in the trans... but there's no noticeable issue from this (yet).

Feels prefectly fine. Could I have been low on ATF? Did the extra ATF help it? Don't kno....
    however, my wive drove the Ody today, and came back telling me the car is smooth as well too, and all the typical vibration/judder she got used to is gone~
    Still too early to tell, but so far so good. Very happy~

(BTW, I'm also running and ATF cooler, and am monitoring ATF temps in real time, all the time. ATF temps are always good, never overheating.)
    That's great news that things are running much better - I'm very glad to hear that.

It's very possible you were running low on ATF - the dipstick on these vans is notoriously hard to read and these transmissions are sensitive. Though I'd think that if you were a full two quarts low that that would be noticeable.

You believe that you have overfilled the ATF because you drained two quarts and added back four. What does your dipstick say about that? Does it now show that you're overfilled? Or is the level between the two holes?

If you've been draining and refilling just the amount drained, it's possible that you have been underfilled for quite some time and have now finally topped the system up. Just be careful now; running the transmission overfilled for a longer period of time isn't good either. If it really is overfilled, get that extra ATF out of there before too long.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Sorry folks, I havent updated sooner, but yea, as it turned out, the 30mph judder was definitely smoother after the ATF (over)fill, but on a longer trip to visit my parents, I saw my ATF temps climbing. Normally with my cooler its always cooler than water temp, but this time it was kreeping to 210.
    I figured this could happen, as too much ATF could possibly get aerated with rotating parts even more (just my theory), hence reducing cooling capabilites. Sure enough, I used my fluid vac to remove ATF until it was at the proper levels, and the temps are all back to normal... however my judder is still there. (very subtle... but there)

Will be contacting Honda Dealer one of these days to see what else we can do.

Normally with my cooler its always cooler than water temp, but this time it was kreeping to 210.
    I figured this could happen, as too much ATF could possibly get aerated with rotating parts even more (just my theory), hence reducing cooling capabilites.
    Not a theory. It's the primary reason for not overfilling.

OF

Sorry folks, I havent updated sooner, but yea, as it turned out, the 30mph judder was definitely smoother after the ATF (over)fill, but on a longer trip to visit my parents, I saw my ATF temps climbing. Normally with my cooler its always cooler than water temp, but this time it was kreeping to 210.
    I figured this could happen, as too much ATF could possibly get aerated with rotating parts even more (just my theory), hence reducing cooling capabilites. Sure enough, I used my fluid vac to remove ATF until it was at the proper levels, and the temps are all back to normal... however my judder is still there. (very subtle... but there)

Will be contacting Honda Dealer one of these days to see what else we can do.
    Thank you for the update! I was on the verge of trying out your overfill experiment but remembered why it's never a good idea to overfill engine oil and held off. Please keep us all posted. It just blows my mind why there is a 25-32MPH shudder. I notice a very, very slight one at 45 as well but the lower speed on is obvious. It seems the only time it doesn't shudder is right after I start the car and drive off for the first few minutes when the fluid is cold and thicker. After that the shudder is there every time I accelerate into those speeds.

I serviced my van last week and had my dealer check with his scan tool and he said that the data gathered indicated no issues with my TC. As I had a D&Fx3 just 8k miles ago, he didn't perform another fluid exchange as he said it was unlikely to be the cause so quickly after the D&F. For the record, I had this TSB fluid replacement done 3 times already! I have 54k miles on my van so I basically have 97%+ new fluid in my tranny. I don't have a tranny cooler but I don't tow or drive the van hard at all. We normally carry my 5, 7, and 9 year old kids in the 2nd row and really only carry groceries so the drivetrain has had an easy life since we drove it off the dealer lot.
    Last edited by dsc888; 04-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Diamond White Pearl/Tan Interior
    2017 BMW 340ix M Sport

I doubt if overfilling had anything to do with the trans being better. Fresh fluid did.

Also: how many of you experiencing this have an aftermarket device to stop the VCM from operating? See Muzzler threads. Could make a big difference.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213