Which VCM Muzzler to Buy? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which VCM Muzzler to Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    Yes, it will often slow the oil burning considerably. I'd recommend checking out the VCMTunerII, though. In my opinion, it's the best option out there due to some added features and 100% disabling of VCM. Any of the others are good, too, though.
    The only feature it has is click change option for changing resistance rather than changing resistors. The VCMuzzler comes with all the resistors you'll need to do the same thing for 100% disabling of VCM. Perhaps you didn't realize it comes with all the resistors now. I had considered using the variable resistor option, but decided against moving parts and preferred to keep with the trusted sealed option under the hood. Changing resistors takes seconds. Hardly a big advantage. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, obviously mind is biased also.
    2015 Acura MDX Tech, 2012 Honda Pilot Touring, 2002 Honda VTX 1800C

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
    The only feature it has is click change option for changing resistance rather than changing resistors. The VCMuzzler comes with all the resistors you'll need to do the same thing for 100% disabling of VCM. Perhaps you didn't realize it comes with all the resistors now. I had considered using the variable resistor option, but decided against moving parts and preferred to keep with the trusted sealed option under the hood. Changing resistors takes seconds. Hardly a big advantage. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, obviously mind is biased also.
    Actually, it electronically keeps the ECT at a value under 167. It does have some "click" options but I'm not using any. The main feature that it has that I like is the accelerometer that allows normal ECT to be sent to the PCM after two minutes of idle, in Park, with the parking brake on. This allows idle relearns to be done and other diagnostic and post-repair items to be performed without removing the device to allow for normal ECT.

To be honest, I'm torn. I think all the solutions are good. Each has their pros and cons. But, for me, the VCMTunerII with its ability to allow me to do an idle relearn and monitor normal temps after a coolant change is a real time saver.

There is also some discussion of what the temp gauge does in an overheat condition and that with the resistors in place you may not get proper overheat indications. I haven't tested any of that myself but I do know that the VCMTunerII will stop "muzzling" when the actual ECT reaches a certain point. I'm not sure that's really all that important, based on how the gauge works but I think it's a good practice, anyway.
    Last edited by John Clark; 04-01-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the responses. I'm going to order one. I was discussing the issues with some guys at work and we were wondering if the oil consumption issue is caused by carbon building up in the oil control rings on those cylinders that are deactivated by the VCM? If so we were also discussing different ideas to try and clean the oil control ring for those cylinders without disassembling the engine, using chemicals. Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you can clean the rings either chemically, or with normal combustion they will often clean up enough on their own to stop the oil burning.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123