Which VCM Muzzler to Buy?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which VCM Muzzler to Buy?

Which VCM Muzzler to Buy?

We had a 2006 Ody Touring that we bought new. A few weeks ago we were in a bad head one accident that wrote off the vehicle. 10 years in and it had 196,000 Kms. Drove and felt like new.
    We never used a VCM muzzler on it (never even knew about it) and had no issues at all.

Now.... We just bought a 2016 Ody Touring. We are at less than 700Kms on it. I have seen many posts on getting the muzzler.

Should we get it done? Or leave the car as it based on the 2006 model and th fact we never had any issues?

Secondly - which one doe we buy?

The one from Verbatim costs $97.84 plus $16.55 shipping.

There is this other one from
    http://vcmdisable.com/how-to-purchase.html for $58.95

Which one should I get??
    2016 - Honda Odyssey Touring
    2006 - Honda Odyssey Touring (written off from no fault head on collision)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You don't trust your Canadian friend? LOL

Never heard or saw that website before. Go with Verbatim, so far no complaints with his system. I had mine for a few years and it still looks and functions like it was brand new.
    2017 Honda Accord EX-L
    2014 Honda Civic EX-L
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - VCMuzzler - Catless - Ported Intake Runners - Custom CAI - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - Tuned - Coilovers
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCMuzzler - Catless - OEM Footwell LED Mod - LED Rear Reflectors - Lowering Springs - Rear Airlift Kit - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    You don't trust your Canadian friend? LOL

Never heard or saw that website before. Go with Verbatim, so far no complaints with his system. I had mine for a few years and it still looks and functions like it was brand new.

LOL! Not about trust.. just price.
    2016 - Honda Odyssey Touring
    2006 - Honda Odyssey Touring (written off from no fault head on collision)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'd definitely put on the VCMuzzler from Verbatim. If you send him a PM on the forum he has a little better price than if you buy through eBay.

Verbatim is the one who studied and researched and tested to create the Muzzler. He has put in many hours only to have others copy his idea. The only reason the others exist is because of his hard work. Unless he quits making them I wouldn't buy one from anyone else. I feel it's the least we can do to thank him for his ingenuity. I have one in my 08 Ody Touring and love it.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    I'd definitely put on the VCMuzzler from Verbatim. If you send him a PM on the forum he has a little better price than if you buy through eBay.

Verbatim is the one who studied and researched and tested to create the Muzzler. He has put in many hours only to have others copy his idea. The only reason the others exist is because of his hard work. Unless he quits making them I wouldn't buy one from anyone else. I feel it's the least we can do to thank him for his ingenuity. I have one in my 08 Ody Touring and love it.
    Couldn't have said it better! The other advantage with the original from Verbatim is that it gives you the option of changing out the resistor to better suit your climate. I think that is well worth the added price to make sure it works where you live. I would also suggest sending him a PM here. I did and saved a few $. In the end it your choice but price shouldn't be the only deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by cessnabmw View Post
    LOL! Not about trust.. just price.
    It should never be only about price. You have to look at what you get for that price too. You're betting the life of your very expensive engine on it.

Like you already saw above, the VCMuzzler from verbatim is getting the product from the original developer. Aside from the altruistic consideration of rewarding someone for the work they have done, he has countless hours of experience and research and background understanding sunk into this thing which he immediately shares with his customers in the unlikely event something doesn't go according to plan. And the ability to change resistors is a huge advantage because it makes it possible to tailor the VCMuzzler's performance to your particular van and your local climate.

If I can offer you a nickel's worth of free advice, get the VCMuzzler from verbatim. Like lots of others here, I have had one on our Ody for several month now and couldn't be happier with the performance of both the Muzzler and the van. Send him a PM on this forum - he is generally quick to respond and the price is better (no one has to pay ebay's transaction fees that way).

And congratulations on the new van! I wish you many happy and safe travels in it.
    Last edited by CroMath; 09-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I would consider running it with out it. Even in the long run, the chances of a 2016 having serious problems are pretty slim. After 10 years a company like Honda has reduced failure rates down to below 1%. Even if it is just for the duration of the power train warranty, take advantage of the fuel savings. Thats my plan with my 2016. I know a Honda R&D engineer who does not have VCMuzzler on his 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboarder119 View Post
    I would consider running it with out it. Even in the long run, the chances of a 2016 having serious problems are pretty slim. After 10 years a company like Honda has reduced failure rates down to below 1%. Even if it is just for the duration of the power train warranty, take advantage of the fuel savings. Thats my plan with my 2016. I know a Honda R&D engineer who does not have VCMuzzler on his 2008.
    Where did you get the 1% failure rate number? I'd like to see the data on that. I find it hard to believe since they are still re-ringing even the newer model Odysseys. The fuel savings is miniscule. Most here have reported either no difference in mileage or maybe around 1 mpg difference on average. If you want to wait for a problem and THEN add the Muzzler then go right ahead. It's your vehicle and it's certainly up to you. My 2008 had around 120-130K on it when I added the Muzzler. I never had any issues with VCM on mine (never felt it kick in or out) but when I saw the Muzzler I knew it was the right thing to do. I didn't even hesitate and bought one right away. Even if there is never a misfire problem I'd like to get many more miles out of my $450 each engine mounts.

Just because a Honda R&D engineer is running his 08 without a Muzzler means nothing. He probably gets it paid for or has access to inexpensive repair. It's clear that everyone is not affected by the problems with VCM. However, adding the Muzzler decreases the chances of a problem to extremely low with no ill effects from adding it. The worst case is you might get a P0128 code once in a while (I haven't ever seen that but some have.)
    2012 VW Passat-Black

@skilboarder119 2008 ody trims only EXLs and Tourings had VCM. Which one does your friend have ? The fuel savings from VCM will be deducted from repairs on the engine failures. There is no free lunch.
    Last edited by pappy; 09-29-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    2005 EXL

1% failure rate is *HUGE* when there are millions of vehicles sold.

I have one from verbatim - and I didn't think they were that expensive but maybe I've just forgotten? Well worth it though - it's an OEM quality piece. Had mine for well over a year in heat AND freezing Canadian winter cold with zero issues. Fuel economy has changed by approx 0.1 litres / 100 kms. So basically nothing.
    - Chris

2011 Odyssey Touring
    2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
    1995 VW Cabrio 5spd

John Clark made a point about salt and rust on another post. I don't know how well vcmdisable.com holds against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Varvarian View Post
    John Clark made a point about salt and rust on another post. I don't know how well vcmdisable.com holds against that.
    Vcmdisable.com is just another copycat of Verbatim's VCMuzzler. Verbatim did all the studying of wiring diagrams, research, and testing, including figuring out at exactly what temperature VCM was enabled, and then coming up with several different resistors that would work for the vast majority of cars. His VCMuzzler comes with several different easy-to-swap resistors that allow it to work in various cars with differing cooling systems.

Yes, it can be done cheaper and the male pigtail is available. There is another thread here where a guy made his own using a couple of pigtails. Again, though, in that thread the member uses the pigtails which are connected by splice connectors which, even heat shrinked and taped can still corrode in moist and salty areas. If I were to make them I would want everything done with sealed connectors which is exactly how Verbatim makes his. The vcmdisable.com harness has only one resistor so if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

I have no affiliation with any of the makers of these, including Verbatim aside from the fact that I bought one and use it on my 08 Touring. I am, however, grateful that someone like Verbatim came up with the solution and I wouldn't buy anyone else's. I might make my own but I would buy the pigtails and then remove the existing wires/terminals and use new terminals and a connector for the resistors, just as Verbatim did, so there are no splices outside of the crimped connectors. To do that, however, you need to have the proper crimp tool which will set you back an additional $20-30 for an inexpensive model. The best deal is just to buy Verbatim's original.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Quote Originally Posted by skiboarder119 View Post
    Even if it is just for the duration of the power train warranty, take advantage of the fuel savings. Thats my plan with my 2016.
    This doesn't make any sense. Why would you let the VCM wear out the engine mounts and foul spark plugs and wreck piston rings for years, and then just as your warranty runs out, apply a technology that will only preserve the condition at which it is applied?

Wouldn't it serve the purpose of prolonging the powertrain's life to install the Muzzler when the van is new and preserve THAT condition for as long as possible? All the available evidence (in addition to my own experience) suggests that the projected fuel savings will not cover the costs of repairing engine mounts and piston rings out-of-pocket when the warranty is all gone.

I installed a VCMuzzler on our Ody about 8 months after we bought it and don't regret the investment a single bit. The van drives better, runs cleaner, and doesn't consume or lose any engine oil, and fuel consumption is virtually unaffected (at least in my case that's true). You can't lose.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. Why would you let the VCM wear out the engine mounts and foul spark plugs and wreck piston rings for years, and then just as your warranty runs out, apply a technology that will only preserve the condition at which it is applied?

Wouldn't it serve the purpose of prolonging the powertrain's life to install the Muzzler when the van is new and preserve THAT condition for as long as possible? All the available evidence (in addition to my own experience) suggests that the projected fuel savings will not cover the costs of repairing engine mounts and piston rings out-of-pocket when the warranty is all gone.

I installed a VCMuzzler on our Ody about 8 months after we bought it and don't regret the investment a single bit. The van drives better, runs cleaner, and doesn't consume or lose any engine oil, and fuel consumption is virtually unaffected (at least in my case that's true). You can't lose.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast