2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
    Hi All - I left my vehicle with the dealer yesterday and today evening they called saying the CEL/VSA light comes up during cold start and goes away when the engine is warm. I do not believe this because before dropping the vehicle at the dealer I drove it for a while and the light stayed on. There was no loss of power and vehicle drove as usual. Only thing I noticed is that ECO light did not display on.

The dealer said the cylinders are misfiring but since there is no oil leak it's not part of the recall (SB 13-081) and valves needs cleaning and I'll have to pay around $700 to get this done.

I have told this dealer that less than a year ago my van had the same issue which was fixed by another dealer. So my current dealer said they will contact the old dealer and see if they can do something for this.

My van has covered only 8K miles after the repair and now this new dealer is asking me to pay for repair. I feel that Honda should cover this repair under warranty and not make me pay for the repair. What do you guys think about this situation? Please advice.
    The 2013 Odyssey has a TSB for this very symptom. Cold start P34xx codes along with misfire codes. It doesn't technically apply to the 2011 Ody but it's all the same system so wouldn't surprise me if you had the same issue.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A13-055.PDF
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    The 2013 Odyssey has a TSB for this very symptom. Cold start P34xx codes along with misfire codes. It doesn't technically apply to the 2011 Ody but it's all the same system so wouldn't surprise me if you had the same issue.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A13-055.PDF
    Thank you very much John Clark for the link. I'll first check with Honda and then with the dealer if this can be covered under warranty.

Since my vehicle was already repaired for engine misfire, is there a chance this issue has cropped up because the old dealer did not fix it properly? If that's the case, is the old dealer obliged to fix this free of cost?
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Honda Odyssey Touring @43K
    Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires

A TSB doesn't imply any warranty. It's covered under normal warranty if the car is still under warranty but it is just documentation that makes it easier for techs to solve common problems. It's easy to see if this TSB applies simply by looking at the freeze frame data for the P34xx code(s) and see if they are setting due to high oil pressure when the engine is cold. Again, technically it doesn't apply since it's not included in the VIN's listed in the TSB but it's not far fetched to think a 2011 could have the same problem as a 2013.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks once again John Clark. One last question - my van has complete warranty from a 3rd party service. Is it worth contacting them to see if the repair will be covered?

I really feel like I'm getting cheated here by Honda/dealer since the repair work was already done in the past and has cropped up again.

Yes, definitely contact them. It all depends on the fine print of your 3rd party warranty. If you have the problem outlined in TSB 13-055 then it is a totally different problem than TSB 13-081. Just because they fixed 13-081 doesn't mean they could know about or fix 13-055 at that time. The only commonality between the two is that they can cause misfire codes...it's just that the misfires are from a different cause.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Update:

My vehicle is still with dealer and I'm in touch with Honda with whom I've opened a case. When the case manager contacted Assistance Service Manager (ASM) at the dealer they were given information that the valves needs adjustment which will clear CEL and that's what they are charging me for.

Since the error code showed engine misfire (P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303) I'd like to know how valve adjustment resolves CEL which showed misfire for cylinders 1-3? Or does the error code comes up if there is any failure in either one of the cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by maxud View Post
    actually on a new Ody (4th gen), they do display a whole bunch of lights when CEL is on. I have put a muzzler into 2016 Ody, and a whole slew of lights came on. Dont recall exactly what they were, but the idea is that some other systems become deactivated when car senses a problem.
    This has been the case since visa has been included. Like the second generation (1999-2004) at least. It is exactly as you discribe, that system shuts down and it’s warning light comes on with almost any issue that sets a check engine light. It is a red herring and should be ignored unless it stays on or comes on once whatever set the check engine light is fixed.

Glad I found this thread. This evening my wife started our 2012 EXL w/ ~64k miles and she told me it felt shaky. Flashing CEL, VSA light on, rough idle. Restarting didn't help. Pulled a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected code w/ my OBDII scanner. I removed plug #5 across to see its condition. Looked brown/normal. #2 was oil fouled:
    Attachment 147991

I cleaned it up a little and started the van and it still ran like crap, lights stayed on. Shut it off, cleared the code, started it up, CEL was off, then VSA went off, and it ran normal. Drove it around a bit and no new codes. Have gone about 6k miles on this oil change and am down a quart, MM says 20%.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see about getting SB 13-081 done. Getting kinda close to the 8 years - will be Aug 2020. Perhaps I messed up clearing the code? - it does show as a historic code and I have a screenshot. Should I mention I pulled the plug? Will definitely look into the VCMuzzler. Thanks.
    2012 Odyssey EX-L w/res ~65k

Quote Originally Posted by sazwaz View Post
    Glad I found this thread. This evening my wife started our 2012 EXL w/ ~64k miles and she told me it felt shaky. Flashing CEL, VSA light on, rough idle. Restarting didn't help. Pulled a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected code w/ my OBDII scanner. I removed plug #5 across to see its condition. Looked brown/normal. #2 was oil fouled:
    Attachment 147991

I cleaned it up a little and started the van and it still ran like crap, lights stayed on. Shut it off, cleared the code, started it up, CEL was off, then VSA went off, and it ran normal. Drove it around a bit and no new codes. Have gone about 6k miles on this oil change and am down a quart, MM says 20%.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see about getting SB 13-081 done. Getting kinda close to the 8 years - will be Aug 2020. Perhaps I messed up clearing the code? - it does show as a historic code and I have a screenshot. Should I mention I pulled the plug? Will definitely look into the VCMuzzler. Thanks.
    Don't mention you've seen the plug - just put it back in and let the dealer find it for themselves. You don't gain anything from admitting you've been in there. Having an active misfire code would be good, but maybe being able to show the historical code and screenshot could help.

A Muzzler of some type should be considered pretty much mandatory once you get this fixed.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I called the dealer and unfortunately they have to read the code themselves with a CEL active. My torque pro app shows it as a historic code now and I printed out the fault log but he said that won't be enough evidence for Honda. I asked if I could pull the plug to verify an oil foul and he said I can but it won't help. I'm not comfortable having my wife drive it until this happens again. Hopefully I can get it to trip with some drive cycles this weekend. Sounds like it is ok to drive it in when it happens or just tow it. Maybe I need to do a little "uncleaning" of the plug. So let this be a lesson to anyone contemplating clearing their code with the van safely in their garage....

I did some reading on the muzzler options. Appreciate the info you shared on the S-VCM CroMath. I think that's the one I'll go with once I get the engine repaired. The SB 13-081 changes oil and coolant which would be timely right now. Not sure if I should have the timing belt/etc. replaced at 64k miles when they're in there. Guess I'll see what they quote.
    2012 Odyssey EX-L w/res ~65k

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12