2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on?

2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on?

Hello everyone,

Last night, I turned on my car and the Check Engine Light and VSA light came on. The car drives normally, doesn't sound or feel strange and does not appear to have any decrease in power.

Today, I took the car to AutoZone and had them check to see what error codes came up. Screenshot below:
    2011 Odyssey, CEL and VSA lights, Code P0302 etc, what's going on?-odyssey-error-codes.jpg
    If you can't read them, I got
    P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    P0300 Random Misfire Detected
    P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    P0300 Random Misfire Detected

I've dug around in these forums and the bowels of the internet and I know that there is a problem with the engine in my car (the VCM2) where the piston rings rotate and the engine needs to be disassembled etc.

So, two questions: first, is it possible that these error lights are caused by the piston ring problem? Second, I can't get the car into my dealer for a few days, so what's the general consensus on whether I can drive the car in the meantime?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Take it to the dealer, you have a VCM2 related issue.
    If you dont feel severe engine vibrations, you can do moderate amount of driving.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

Maker of Max Muzzler with variable resistor, pm to purchase
    Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

I agree with maxud. You have VCM problems. It should be covered by extended warranty.

However, your VSA light is probably being caused by something else. You need to get the code retrieved for that. It will require a professional level scan tool...one that will read all the OEM Honda modules. A standard OBDII scan tool, like Autozone uses, won't read it.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys. I have an appointment on Tuesday and plan on leaving the car parked until I drive it over on monday night.

I'll reply to this thread with the results of the visit to the dealer.

Get a VCMuzzler after you get your engine fixed.
    - Chris

2011 Odyssey Touring
    2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
    1995 VW Cabrio 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Our Odyssey View Post
    Get a VCMuzzler after you get your engine fixed.
    ^^^ Most definitely, without a doubt, do this. Here is everything you need to know about the Muzzler:

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...vcm-faq-s.html
    2012 VW Passat-Black

So here we are in March, and the story took a twist.

To summarize my first post: My initial indication in January that something was wrong was when the VSC and CEL came on. I pulled the codes at the local AutoZone and found some cylinder misfires.

I had an appointment scheduled for the following week (first appointment available), but the lights went off the afternoon before the appointment, so I cancelled as I didn't want to take in a car that had no problems.

Two days after that the lights came on for a few days, then went off again. This happened for a while, on for a few days, off for a few days. By this time I was convinced I had a sensor somewhere that was on the fritz. The lights came back on again last week and then, after dropping my kids off at school on Monday (March 6th) the CEL started flashing and the engine started running VERY ROUGH. I pulled the car over and turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes and then tried turning it back on. The VSC and CEL were on, but not flashing. I limped home and scheduled an appointment at my Honda Dealer.

Yep, it's the cylinder ring problem. So, they did the repair and I just got my car back. The invoice was covered under the warranty, at a total cost of $1,831.12, which I'm sure would have been higher had I been paying for it.

So, does running in ECO mode really cause the problem?

glad you finally came around to do what you were told to do right away.
    Clearly you did not follow any of the advise of the forum, as such, why bother asking a question?
    Here it is one more time
    https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...vcm-faq-s.html

Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

John, it's my understanding that the VSA light will appear many times with cylinder misfires (which trigger the CEL) because the misfires trick the system into thinking something is also wrong with the VSA, sound correct to you? I found this throughout the internet, and we all know if the internet says something, it must be true! ha!

The VSA light is separate. Misfires themselves will not cause a VSA light.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

actually on a new Ody (4th gen), they do display a whole bunch of lights when CEL is on. I have put a muzzler into 2016 Ody, and a whole slew of lights came on. Dont recall exactly what they were, but the idea is that some other systems become deactivated when car senses a problem.

Hidden Content

So, a simple misfire will cause your traction control and ABS to go into a tailspin. That's about as smart as shutting down perfectly good cylinders.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    So, a simple misfire will cause your traction control and ABS to go into a tailspin. That's about as smart as shutting down perfectly good cylinders.
    LOL! Now that's funny! Unfortunate too, but funny nonetheless.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I'm having the same issue with my 2011 Touring model with 66K miles. This is the third time in 11 months this issue is happening. Last year August when I got the CEL and VSA light on (at 59K miles), I took the van to Auto Zone and the OBD scan showed error codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. I took the van to Honda and they fixed this issue under warranty SB 13-081.

I got the same CEL & VSA light on issue this April but it went away after a day.

Two days back I got the CEL & VSA light for the 3rd time and I went to Auto Zone and after scanning it showed the same error codes. Beginning this year, I switched dealer since the original dealer was providing pathetic service. I'll be taking my van to the new dealer to get this issue fixed. I'm hoping the dealer will honor the warranty.
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Honda Odyssey Touring @43K
    Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires

Hi All - I left my vehicle with the dealer yesterday and today evening they called saying the CEL/VSA light comes up during cold start and goes away when the engine is warm. I do not believe this because before dropping the vehicle at the dealer I drove it for a while and the light stayed on. There was no loss of power and vehicle drove as usual. Only thing I noticed is that ECO light did not display on.

The dealer said the cylinders are misfiring but since there is no oil leak it's not part of the recall (SB 13-081) and valves needs cleaning and I'll have to pay around $700 to get this done.

I have told this dealer that less than a year ago my van had the same issue which was fixed by another dealer. So my current dealer said they will contact the old dealer and see if they can do something for this.

My van has covered only 8K miles after the repair and now this new dealer is asking me to pay for repair. I feel that Honda should cover this repair under warranty and not make me pay for the repair. What do you guys think about this situation? Please advice.
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Honda Odyssey Touring @43K
    Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast