Oil Change filter says 12,000 miles interval, do I still change at every oil change?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Oil Change filter says 12,000 miles interval, do I still change at every oil change?

Oil Change filter says 12,000 miles interval, do I still change at every oil change?

I have Honda Odyssey 2015, and I'm kind of new of DIY oil changing; the filter I bought states that it is good for 12,000 miles, but I'm planning to do my oil change at 5,000 or less. Do I still have to change the filter every oil change? or can I just drain + put new oil for 2~3 times before I change my filter.

thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would say if you can afford the filter change it Every time. I have my mechanic change both everytime.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Change your filter and oil at the same time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

On my old odyssey, it says change filter every other oil change. I asked similar question in another post. Used to change my oil/filter every 3,000 miles. (good old days). Then, as oil became "better", and engines also. I changed oil every 4000 miles, filter every 8,000.

Right, now, I'm doing the experiment. Change oil every 4,000 miles. Filter every 12,000 miles. Again, not a matter of $. Filters are cheap.
    Just tired of oil dripping when changing the filter. Getting lazy in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by lozawa View Post
    Again, not a matter of $. Filters are cheap.
    Filters are cheap but engines are expensive.

Honda does say you can change the filter every other oil change. Still, I change it each time.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

hard to imagine not changing oil filter with oil change.
    but i can see where people who change oil sooner than average
    can skip filter change.
    my daily driver is a vw jetta gli.
    the dealer changed the oil for free every 10k miles,
    but i went about 5k with filter.
    on the ody have to keep an eye on oil% life and actual mileage driven./

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Filters are cheap but engines are expensive.
    That's it right there. Don't skimp out on the most important part of the oil change.
    2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I used to do my oil and filter changes once every 25,000 miles with Amsoil, but since retiring I just change both once a year or every 15,000 miles now in both vehicles. You should look into an oil that will last the full 12,000 miles so you can just do it once and at the same time. There are a few good companies that make quality, long lasting oil these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nysj83 View Post
    the filter I bought states that it is good for 12,000 miles
    If it's written on the filter, that's likely a very good quality filter with synthetic filtration material. That material traps smaller particles without clogging prematurely, like paper would. Bottom line, it's good for your engine.

Regardless of what the filter claims, change it with the oil anyway for all the reasons mentioned above.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Wow, do people even know the function of a oil "filter".

FYI, It's supposed to filter all the impurities/contaminants (from the wearing down of engine parts as they rub against each other or environmental impurities that may have gotten into the oil)

Why even bother putting in new/clean oil if you're not going to change out the dirtiest part of the whole system??? That just defeats the whole purpose of getting a oil change. Who cares whatever the oil filter says it's good for, it's not going to warranty against your engine failing sooner than it should is it (even if it does I'm sure companies have all sorts of wording set up to defeat your warranty claim)??? All that "good for x miles" is just all gimmick to make you choose it over another.

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements