Switched from VCMuzzler to S-VCM - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 117

Thread: Switched from VCMuzzler to S-VCM

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Is there a NEED to deactivate VCM? "Need" is a very strong word, so the direct answer there is probably no. But the best answer is probably a little more nuanced than that.

    It's really a case of different strokes for different folks - I hope the performance you're getting is now is what you will continue to get for as long as you own the van. Lots and lots of people do. But more than a few people don't, and this is for those who don't want fate or (mis)fortune to decide which group they'll fall into. Because it doesn't seem as though it's possible to know in advance whether or not you will have troubles. That's pretty much all it comes down to, at least until problems arise. The decision-making criteria change after being presented with a big repair bill. 😉

    There is no doubt that driving habits have a major impact on fuel consumption, regardless of any other technology. Being smart, efficient and proactive on the road is just good driving, and I'm totally with you on that.
    Last edited by CroMath; 06-18-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User CB750's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Troy, Mi and Lake MI
    Posts
    16
    It seems like one of the most popular threads on this forum are those concerning the Odyssey VCM and the installation of various after market VCMuzzler and S-VCM. Posters make it sound that if I don’t install one of these devices that an Odyssey engine is going to self destruct. To set the record straight my 2005 Odyssey EX-L was 13 years old and had 102,000 miles when I sold it. The only after market modification I made to that vehicle was the installation of a K&N Air filter which I cleaned every 20,000 – 30,000 miles. During those 13 years of ownership the only major problem I had with that Odyssey other than routine maintenance, and Tires and Brakes, was leak in the refrigerant line to the rear AC condenser. The engine never burnt any oil between oil changes, had any problem with spark plugs, motor mounts, or any of the other rather serious problems posters associate with the VCM system. As I remember my 2005 delivered between 18 to 24 Miles per gallon depending on where and how we drove it. I wonder if the Honda VCM system is so bad why after all of these generations of Odysseys does Honda still use the system?
    2018 Odyssey EX-L
    2006 S-2000
    1970 CB-750

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    It seems like one of the most popular threads on this forum are those concerning the Odyssey VCM and the installation of various after market VCMuzzler and S-VCM. Posters make it sound that if I don’t install one of these devices that an Odyssey engine is going to self destruct. To set the record straight my 2005 Odyssey EX-L was 13 years old and had 102,000 miles when I sold it. The only after market modification I made to that vehicle was the installation of a K&N Air filter which I cleaned every 20,000 – 30,000 miles. During those 13 years of ownership the only major problem I had with that Odyssey other than routine maintenance, and Tires and Brakes, was leak in the refrigerant line to the rear AC condenser. The engine never burnt any oil between oil changes, had any problem with spark plugs, motor mounts, or any of the other rather serious problems posters associate with the VCM system. As I remember my 2005 delivered between 18 to 24 Miles per gallon depending on where and how we drove it. I wonder if the Honda VCM system is so bad why after all of these generations of Odysseys does Honda still use the system?
    With all due respect man, I have no interest in rehashing these tired conversations. They've been had a dozen times over in other threads - and in minute detail. I know no one feels like reading threads with thousands of posts in them, but if you really care to know the answers you'll put in the time.

    The basic premise of this thread is that I (as a gen 4 Odyssey owner) have put in the time and effort to thoroughly research what VCM2 does and how it does it. I have researched, read, asked and studied far beyond this one forum, and I have reached the conclusion that disabling VCM2 is the correct choice for my family's vehicle. This means absolutely nothing for anyone outside my family. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same kind of research. Don't trust any one person or source exclusively, least of all me. No one out here on the interwebs knows me from Adam. Take anything I say or claim and test it against other sources of information. If you find me credible, test what others say against what I say.

    Since I am operating here on the premise that VCM2 should be disabled, I am trying to convey how the different devices behave. I am not trying to convince anyone to do one thing or another - that's up to you. Your van, your choice. If you are having a great ownership experience without the use of a VCMuzzler or any of its counterparts, I'm happy for you. And you should definitely share that with the group because we need that balance of experiences - just do it in another thread.
    Last edited by CroMath; 06-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    3
    Just bought a 2011 Touring Elite with 85k miles. The owner had never heard of this problem and never experienced any issues. Before I even took delivery I ordered a S-VCM because I hope to keep the van for a long while. My kids are 4.5, 1.5, and -.5. If my engine ends up not needing it then it was an insurance policy and I'm OK with that.

  7. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    16
    I suspect there may be two issues at play. 1) cylinder carbon 2) engine mount wear. I drive like you do, with a very steady foot on accelerator, trying to drive a steady speed, looking far ahead to minimize the energy lost to breaking. I never feel the VCM go in or out probably because I'm not asking for larger amounts of power. Now if I had more of a lead foot, accelerating quickly at lights, between cars, etc I can see the engine rocking when accelerating from a dead stop and each time the VCM goes in out out since this driving style would create a noticeable step increase or decrease in engine torque. This could increase the cycles on the engine mount creating accelerated wear on the engine mount, and early replacement. My odyssey only has 25K miles so its too early for either issue to be present. I don't have enough data to evaluate the cylinder carbon issue. There are all kinds of factors at play. Does the cylinder shut off cool those cylinders enough to affect combustion when turned back on? Are the rings adequate for the temps and pressures? I read Honda used the new rings for two years that lead to the class action lawsuit and an extended warranty for those years. Does the engine shut off lubrication to deactivated cylinders? Are cylinder walls over-cooled in deactivated cylinders? Are pistons over-cooled in deactivated cylinders? Is the deactivation complete keeping all fuel out of deactivated cylinders. I know that the new oils and engine tolerances are significantly better than 20 or 30 years ago. I have diesel engines at work that require special break in oil with reduced lubricating properties or they don't break in right. The new oils won't let the rings seat and bearings can take 500 hours to seat with new oils when they should be seated in the first 50 hours. The new oils are good and should protect the engines for hundreds of thousands of miles with regular changes. The new oils may lubricate well but they do not stop carbon build up in diesel engines. We've had diesel engines at work that spent 500 to 1000 hours at very low loads leading to low combustion chamber temperatures leading to wetstacking and stuck rings with excessive carbon build up. We've had to overhaul engines from wetstacking build up that wouldn't burn out under load. The engine problems described by various posters could be the result of carbon build up though I don't know the exact cause or failure mode if in the VCM system that would allow the carbon to build up in the cylinders.

  8. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by greg98765 View Post
    I suspect there may be two issues at play. 1) cylinder carbon 2) engine mount wear. I drive like you do, with a very steady foot on accelerator, trying to drive a steady speed, looking far ahead to minimize the energy lost to breaking. I never feel the VCM go in or out probably because I'm not asking for larger amounts of power. Now if I had more of a lead foot, accelerating quickly at lights, between cars, etc I can see the engine rocking when accelerating from a dead stop and each time the VCM goes in out out since this driving style would create a noticeable step increase or decrease in engine torque. This could increase the cycles on the engine mount creating accelerated wear on the engine mount, and early replacement. My odyssey only has 25K miles so its too early for either issue to be present. I don't have enough data to evaluate the cylinder carbon issue. There are all kinds of factors at play. Does the cylinder shut off cool those cylinders enough to affect combustion when turned back on? Are the rings adequate for the temps and pressures? I read Honda used the new rings for two years that lead to the class action lawsuit and an extended warranty for those years. Does the engine shut off lubrication to deactivated cylinders? Are cylinder walls over-cooled in deactivated cylinders? Are pistons over-cooled in deactivated cylinders? Is the deactivation complete keeping all fuel out of deactivated cylinders. I know that the new oils and engine tolerances are significantly better than 20 or 30 years ago. I have diesel engines at work that require special break in oil with reduced lubricating properties or they don't break in right. The new oils won't let the rings seat and bearings can take 500 hours to seat with new oils when they should be seated in the first 50 hours. The new oils are good and should protect the engines for hundreds of thousands of miles with regular changes. The new oils may lubricate well but they do not stop carbon build up in diesel engines. We've had diesel engines at work that spent 500 to 1000 hours at very low loads leading to low combustion chamber temperatures leading to wetstacking and stuck rings with excessive carbon build up. We've had to overhaul engines from wetstacking build up that wouldn't burn out under load. The engine problems described by various posters could be the result of carbon build up though I don't know the exact cause or failure mode if in the VCM system that would allow the carbon to build up in the cylinders.
    You are correct; there are two different issues at play, both tied to VCM operation. The wear on the active engine mount is fairly straightforward - it's very difficult to get a V6 engine to run equally smoothly using 3 of 6, 4 of 6, or 6 of 6 cylinders, so Honda uses an electrically controlled active engine mount to help cancel the vibrations that naturally occur in 3 and 4 cylinder modes. That thing works very hard whenever VCM is active and I think it does an admirable job in most cases. But it simply wears out after a while; it is not a lifetime part. It is also a very expensive part that seems to nicely outlive the warranty so that owners are stuck with paying the hefty repair bill out-of-pocket.

    The piston ring damage is harder to pin down, but here's where my current level of understanding is at: Lubrication to deactivated cylinders is not cut off, but fuel and spark are. Some oil is getting past the piston rings and collecting in the combustion chambers of deactivated cylinders. Why this does not seem to be an issue with the active cylinders is not totally clear to me, but the theory of a temperature difference between active and inactive cylinders affecting the way lubrication is managed seems plausible. When those cylinders are reactivated, that oil is being burned off in an incomplete combustion reaction which contributes to fouled spark plugs and carbon buildup. Eventually the plugs and buildup get bad enough that they begin to cause misfires which damages the pistons and rings further, the engine starts to burn more oil, and so the cycle perpetuates itself. Eventually the van runs so badly that the ECU starts throwing misfire codes on one or more cylinders and warning indicators light up the instrument panel like a Christmas tree.

    3-cyl mode 4-cyl mode 6-cyl mode
    Cylinder 1 N Y Y
    Cylinder 2 N Y Y
    Cylinder 3 N N Y
    Cylinder 4 Y N Y
    Cylinder 5 Y Y Y
    Cylinder 6 Y Y Y


    The cylinders most prone to fouling and piston ring problems happen to be the same ones that are being turned on and off by VCM; that is, cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. Only cylinders 5 and 6 fire in all three operating modes of VCM2, and it is consistently cylinders 5 and 6 that do not have fouling and misfire problems. Conversely, it is so common for cylinders 1-4 to have these problems that they are the only ones which get repaired under the terms of the extended warranty Honda offered following that class-action lawsuit. Honda does not pay for new rings in cylinders 5 and 6 under the terms of the extended warranty.

    So by deactivating VCM, what I am really doing with respect to the piston rings and spark plugs is ensuring that cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4 are subjected to the same operating conditions as cylinders 5 and 6, which by all accounts (including Honda's) never seem to have any issues. And therefore my expectation is that while I might use a little more fuel over the lifetime of the van, I am not going to be faced with the potential of a partial engine rebuild and worn out pricey engine mounts. Honda's J35 engines that are not equipped with VCM (and especially VCM2) do not have problems with engine mounts and piston rings and fouled spark plugs and sudden excessive oil consumption. They are excellent engines that can run more or less forever. That's what I want. And so far, that is what I am getting; our van drives silky smooth, it's quiet, responsive, and never loses a drop of oil. When I did the last oil change, I got out more than 4.2 L out of a 4.3L capacity. If you consider that some oil is trapped inside the oil filter (and I spilled a bit getting the oil filter off ), that's pretty much all of it.

    I don't know whether the piston rings are really the problem. It seems that Honda came up with new parts for the extended warranty program and for subsequent regular production, but there have been reports of people having these issues even in younger vans. More worryingly, there have also been reports of the problems resurfacing even after the extended warranty ring replacement. And part of the extended warranty deal is that Honda will only pay for the ring job once - if it has to be redone again in the future, the owner is on the hook for it.

    Quite possibly the worst (or best) part of all of this is that there is no guarantee that any of this will happen to any given VCM2-equipped engine. It might not; but then again, it might. Lots of people have no issues (or practically no issues). There's no way to tell right up front whether you're in the lucky or unlucky group. But I believe that deactivating VCM changes the odds significantly in your favour.

    I believe the complexity of the three-mode VCM2 and the problems that came with it are a major reason why Honda went back to a two-mode system (3 or 6 cylinders only) in the 2017+ gen 5 Odysseys. People with the current generation vans don't seem to be having these problems I think because the VCM3 system they have is a simpler design and better implemented.
    Last edited by CroMath; 06-20-2018 at 03:55 AM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  9. #22
    Registered User John Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,165
    Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    You are correct; there are two different issues at play, both tied to VCM operation. The wear on the active engine mount is fairly straightforward - it's very difficult to get a V6 engine to run equally smoothly using 3 of 6, 4 of 6, or 6 of 6 cylinders, so Honda uses an electrically controlled active engine mount to help cancel the vibrations that naturally occur in 3 and 4 cylinder modes. That thing works very hard whenever VCM is active and I think it does an admirable job in most cases. But it simply wears out after a while; it is not a lifetime part. It is also a very expensive part that seems to nicely outlive the warranty so that owners are stuck with paying the hefty repair bill out-of-pocket.

    The piston ring damage is harder to pin down, but here's where my current level of understanding is at: Lubrication to deactivated cylinders is not cut off, but fuel and spark are. Some oil is getting past the piston rings and collecting in the combustion chambers of deactivated cylinders. Why this does not seem to be an issue with the active cylinders is not totally clear to me, but the theory of a temperature difference between active and inactive cylinders affecting the way lubrication is managed seems plausible. When those cylinders are reactivated, that oil is being burned off in an incomplete combustion reaction which contributes to fouled spark plugs and carbon buildup. Eventually the plugs and buildup get bad enough that they begin to cause misfires which damages the pistons and rings further, the engine starts to burn more oil, and so the cycle perpetuates itself. Eventually the van runs so badly that the ECU starts throwing misfire codes on one or more cylinders and warning indicators light up the instrument panel like a Christmas tree.

    3-cyl mode 4-cyl mode 6-cyl mode
    Cylinder 1 N Y Y
    Cylinder 2 N Y Y
    Cylinder 3 N N Y
    Cylinder 4 Y N Y
    Cylinder 5 Y Y Y
    Cylinder 6 Y Y Y


    The cylinders most prone to fouling and piston ring problems happen to be the same ones that are being turned on and off by VCM; that is, cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4. Only cylinders 5 and 6 fire in all three operating modes of VCM2, and it is consistently cylinders 5 and 6 that do not have fouling and misfire problems. Conversely, it is so common for cylinders 1-4 to have these problems that they are the only ones which get repaired under the terms of the extended warranty Honda offered following that class-action lawsuit. Honda does not pay for new rings in cylinders 5 and 6 under the terms of the extended warranty.

    So by deactivating VCM, what I am really doing with respect to the piston rings and spark plugs is ensuring that cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4 are subjected to the same operating conditions as cylinders 5 and 6, which by all accounts (including Honda's) never seem to have any issues. And therefore my expectation is that while I might use a little more fuel over the lifetime of the van, I am not going to be faced with the potential of a partial engine rebuild and worn out pricey engine mounts. Honda's J35 engines that are not equipped with VCM (and especially VCM2) do not have problems with engine mounts and piston rings and fouled spark plugs and sudden excessive oil consumption. They are excellent engines that can run more or less forever. That's what I want. And so far, that is what I am getting; our van drives silky smooth, it's quiet, responsive, and never loses a drop of oil. When I did the last oil change, I got out more than 4.2 L out of a 4.3L capacity. If you consider that some oil is trapped inside the oil filter (and I spilled a bit getting the oil filter off ), that's pretty much all of it.

    I don't know whether the piston rings are really the problem. It seems that Honda came up with new parts for the extended warranty program and for subsequent regular production, but there have been reports of people having these issues even in younger vans. More worryingly, there have also been reports of the problems resurfacing even after the extended warranty ring replacement. And part of the extended warranty deal is that Honda will only pay for the ring job once - if it has to be redone again in the future, the owner is on the hook for it.

    Quite possibly the worst (or best) part of all of this is that there is no guarantee that any of this will happen to any given VCM2-equipped engine. It might not; but then again, it might. Lots of people have no issues (or practically no issues). There's no way to tell right up front whether you're in the lucky or unlucky group. But I believe that deactivating VCM changes the odds significantly in your favour.

    I believe the complexity of the three-mode VCM2 and the problems that came with it are a major reason why Honda went back to a two-mode system (3 or 6 cylinders only) in the 2017+ gen 5 Odysseys. People with the current generation vans don't seem to be having these problems I think because the VCM3 system they have is a simpler design and better implemented.
    CroMath, this is one of the best explanations and descriptions I've seen. It's spot on and accurate and very well explained.

    Just to add one thing, I think on some vehicles they had a PCM reprogram that causes the VCM to kick off and back on a bit more often hoping to alleviate some of the issues. In my opinion, no matter what they do it's a bad system. GM had to replace quite a few engines over their version of the same thing. I think they finally realized it's a failed system.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

  10. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    9
    I am not try to stir the pot here but I believed the majorities of the Asian that owned the Odyssey don't even know they van equipped with VCM and they probably don't even know about the VCmuzzler either.
    I do really love to hear from them in regard of the VCM issues.
    Please excuse my English.

  11. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    CroMath, this is one of the best explanations and descriptions I've seen. It's spot on and accurate and very well explained.

    Just to add one thing, I think on some vehicles they had a PCM reprogram that causes the VCM to kick off and back on a bit more often hoping to alleviate some of the issues. In my opinion, no matter what they do it's a bad system. GM had to replace quite a few engines over their version of the same thing. I think they finally realized it's a failed system.
    Thank you for the kind words John. I like to share what I've learned - hopefully others won't have to work quite as hard as I did to gain a better understanding of what we're dealing with.

    Quote Originally Posted by phamphihung View Post
    I am not try to stir the pot here but I believed the majorities of the Asian that owned the Odyssey don't even know they van equipped with VCM and they probably don't even know about the VCmuzzler either.
    I do really love to hear from them in regard of the VCM issues.
    Please excuse my English.
    I don't want to stir the pot either, but how do you know I'm not Asian?

    Knowing or not knowing about the pros and cons of VCM has nothing to do with race or nationality; the information is available to everyone equally because practically all of it is available online. Also, the fact that we are talking about machines is the great equalizer; your van's engine has absolutely no idea who you are.
    Last edited by CroMath; 06-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  12. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    16
    We have a 2012 we got with less than 3000 miles on it from a grandma who found it too big. I did all the oil changes myself with AMSoil Signature Series. But when I changed the Oil around 30,000 miles, I noticed it was very low. It was just after this when it threw the code for Spark Plug and missfire. Honda dealer did a ring job on 3 of the cylinders under warranty. I paid to have the last 2 spark plugs changed so they all had new. That's when I got the Muzzler and have kept it on since about 30k miles. At 80,000 now it doesn't use oil with 7000 to 8000 miles between changes.

    VCM does cause oil consumption no matter what even if you don't have issues. Rings are supposed to move some but I think the lack of pressure on the pistons lets the oil gaps align and the oil blow by causes them to stick there compounding the problem on the J35Z8 engine. If you look at the 2017 and newer J35Y6 on the 2016+ Pilot and 2018+ Odyssey you will see that they keep the Spark plug firing to try and burn off the oil that bypasses when cylinders deactivate.

    Last year, we got a 2017 Pilot and I put the VCMtuner on from the beginning after my experience with the Odyssey piston rings. I wanted to bring the engine in right. The tuner is more adjustable than the resister but otherwise functions the same. I'd be interest to try this S-VCM. It would be great if someone could design something like the S-VCM that could output the true temp along with the adjusted temp via Bluetooth or something.
    2017 Pilot EX
    2012 Odyssey EX
    1966 Ford F100

  13. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    *** Update ***

    We just came home from a 1,600 km (1,000 miles) round trip holiday from Calgary to the Okanagan Valley in BC. Temperatures ranged from from about 26C to 41C (79F to 106F) and included a trip through Rogers Pass (elevation of 1330 m/ 4360 feet). Never saw the ECO light once, though the cooling fans were running full-on the overwhelming majority of the time. The temperature gauge did creep up well past the halfway mark when we got stopped by highway construction when it was about 36C outside, but I don't think we were ever in an overheat condition where the S-VCM would turn itself off. Because we were stopped and VCM doesn't activate regardless of other conditions when you aren't moving, I'm not completely sure whether the S-VCM controller ever switched itself off. I never saw the temperature gauge go to a dangerously high level, so we were probably safe enough the whole time. I left the engine running during the stoppages to make sure that the water pump kept the engine coolant circulating, as hot as it was.

    Our fuel economy still hovered in the 28-29 mpg range over the highway portions of the trip without much care or effort. So far, it seems like the S-VCM is full value as advertised.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  14. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    11
    Great write up!

    Thank you - and the others here for all the information.
    It made getting this device (and understanding our current issues) much easier!
    Nothing left to do but Smile, Smile, Smile!

  15. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by grateful1 View Post
    Great write up!

    Thank you - and the others here for all the information.
    It made getting this device (and understanding our current issues) much easier!
    You're welcome!

    Thank you for the feedback - making it easier for others is exactly what I wanted to achieve with this thread. Everyone who has contributed has increased my knowledge and level of understanding too, and I appreciate it.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  16. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    MINNESOTA
    Posts
    19
    There are so many threads on the VCM topic I am not sure if proper etiquette is to post my question/comment here or to make a new thread. I will post it here and let moderators tell me.

    I have a new to me 2015 Odyssey LX. I installed the SVCM last night. I was having driveability issues with VCM. Mainly when cruising at highways speeds and constantly varying cruise control speeds and the annoying drone noise. It was so bad my wife even complained, and that is saying a lot. I have a scanguage II so I am able to watch actual water temps. Before the SVCM install the temp was locked in at 176F. After the install temps are running 161F. Even before knowing how the SVCM and VCMuzzler systems worked I was thinking 176F was a bit cool for engine temps.

    I wanted to install a higher temp thermostat to increase heat output and shorten cab warm up times. I have 4 small kids and want them to stay warm and not have to put on super thick coats as they are unsafe in car seats. My realization is this: Since I chose the SVCM I cannot change to a higher temp thermostat and have the VCM deactivated. I live in Minnesota. We are often below 0F. Sometimes for weeks at a time. I have read on other threads that the heat output at 176F vs say 195F coolant teamperature is quite noticeable.

    I could have gone with a VCM Muzzler and used a higher resister to show that my 195F water is <165F to the VCM... but I went with SVCM and now I am stuck not being able to use a higher temp. thermostat.. Anyways, I am combining a couple of different topics in my comment but just wanted to let you guys in the cold climate have another thing to think about before choosing between SVCM and VCMuzzler.

    My solution is going to be a car starter which was on the top of the priority list anyway. I am going to skip the higher temp thermostat.

  17. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmyklebust View Post
    My realization is this: Since I chose the SVCM I cannot change to a higher temp thermostat and have the VCM deactivated.
    How have you arrived at this conclusion? I don't think I see how changing the thermostat affects what S-VCM does.

    The S-VCM is supposed to receive the true coolant temperature from the ECT1 sensor as its input data and respond to whatever it reads. The fact that your coolant might be hotter to start with simply means that S-VCM's adjustment of the output signal would be greater (to keep the reported temperature below VCM's activation threshold), but that doesn't affect the actual coolant temperature or how your heater works.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

    There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's
    By verbatim in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM
  2. Mileage of VCM vs. non-VCM?
    By jelby in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 07:50 PM
  3. VCM timing belt the same as non vcm?
    By VPT in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2016, 08:58 AM
  4. '07 VCM compared to '08 VCM
    By lyncstar in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2