Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total

Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total

Hey guys,

The common issue of the key blade breaking off the key remote because of the cheap plastic was something I was dealing with, using superglue, etc.

I ended up buying a key shell with uncut keyblade off amazon (2 pack for $10 or something). I then had the blank key cut to match existing key. I then transplanted the electronic part from old remote to new one, and even kept the original back on the new shell.

Result is I have a key that isnt' flimsy or falling apart and fully stable now. The cost to cut the key was $20 so all in all not a bad deal and works perfectly.
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm having the same issue and thinking of going this route. Where did you have the key cut and how is it working out?

I believe there is a Tech Service Bulletin for this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I believe there is a Tech Service Bulletin for this.
    That is correct. I don't know if honda charges for the replacement or not.

My key broke before I was aware of the TSB. I glued it back together with epoxy and it has held for a few years. Hopefully I won't need the tsb.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

Quote Originally Posted by rmyoder View Post
    That is correct. I don't know if honda charges for the replacement or not.

My key broke before I was aware of the TSB. I glued it back together with epoxy and it has held for a few years. Hopefully I won't need the tsb.
    I did the same thing with mine. I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday and planned on asking about it. Even though my warranty is up, they've taken care of the TSB's I've encountered free of charge in the past. I'll be sure to report my findings.

Thanks! I just found the TSB, and its the same procedure that the OP used, except using OEM parts I'm sure... I'm just trying to find some place that will cut my blank key. Having a hard time with that...

I did the same thing for my Accord key fob.

1. Buy a new shell from eBay or Amazon ($10 or less)
    2. Get it cut at a hardware store or a locksmith store. I did my at Ace Hardware ($25); Walmart or Home Depot cannot cut it.
    3. Transfer the chip from old fob to the new one. Done.

It would cost me around $200 in the dealership.

The Stealership wanted to charge me $200 and I complained about the TSB. Got it for the price of the blank key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By chance, have any of you experienced the intermittent operation of the fob as well? Mine started acting up not too long ago, in particular, opening/closing the driver side sliding door.

Only if the batteries are low. Some reports of issues in certain areas when radio interference limits the range or operation of the remote.

Duplicate
    Last edited by jnissen; 04-11-2019 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
    Hey guys,

The common issue of the key blade breaking off the key remote because of the cheap plastic was something I was dealing with, using superglue, etc.

I ended up buying a key shell with uncut keyblade off amazon (2 pack for $10 or something). I then had the blank key cut to match existing key. I then transplanted the electronic part from old remote to new one, and even kept the original back on the new shell.

Result is I have a key that isnt' flimsy or falling apart and fully stable now. The cost to cut the key was $20 so all in all not a bad deal and works perfectly.
    Dang I have had my Amazon blanks for over a year now lol. Mainly because they were charging me $50 per key. Going to have to do it soon as my new screw is about hanging on for dear life.
    'Arrive Alive' Don't text and drive!

Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I did the same thing with mine. I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday and planned on asking about it. Even though my warranty is up, they've taken care of the TSB's I've encountered free of charge in the past. I'll be sure to report my findings.
    Original quote was $220. I mentioned the TSB and they came down to $180. I said no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceace5150 View Post
    I'm having the same issue and thinking of going this route. Where did you have the key cut and how is it working out?
    I had it cut at the auto parts store. $15. The blanks were from amazon
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements