Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total

  1. #1
    Registered User m4gician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    91

    Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total

    Hey guys,

    The common issue of the key blade breaking off the key remote because of the cheap plastic was something I was dealing with, using superglue, etc.

    I ended up buying a key shell with uncut keyblade off amazon (2 pack for $10 or something). I then had the blank key cut to match existing key. I then transplanted the electronic part from old remote to new one, and even kept the original back on the new shell.

    Result is I have a key that isnt' flimsy or falling apart and fully stable now. The cost to cut the key was $20 so all in all not a bad deal and works perfectly.
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    15
    I'm having the same issue and thinking of going this route. Where did you have the key cut and how is it working out?

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    51
    I believe there is a Tech Service Bulletin for this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Registered User rmyoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I believe there is a Tech Service Bulletin for this.
    That is correct. I don't know if honda charges for the replacement or not.

    My key broke before I was aware of the TSB. I glued it back together with epoxy and it has held for a few years. Hopefully I won't need the tsb.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

  7. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by rmyoder View Post
    That is correct. I don't know if honda charges for the replacement or not.

    My key broke before I was aware of the TSB. I glued it back together with epoxy and it has held for a few years. Hopefully I won't need the tsb.
    I did the same thing with mine. I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday and planned on asking about it. Even though my warranty is up, they've taken care of the TSB's I've encountered free of charge in the past. I'll be sure to report my findings.

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    15
    Thanks! I just found the TSB, and its the same procedure that the OP used, except using OEM parts I'm sure... I'm just trying to find some place that will cut my blank key. Having a hard time with that...

  9. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1
    I did the same thing for my Accord key fob.

    1. Buy a new shell from eBay or Amazon ($10 or less)
    2. Get it cut at a hardware store or a locksmith store. I did my at Ace Hardware ($25); Walmart or Home Depot cannot cut it.
    3. Transfer the chip from old fob to the new one. Done.

    It would cost me around $200 in the dealership.

  10. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    718
    The Stealership wanted to charge me $200 and I complained about the TSB. Got it for the price of the blank key.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    51
    By chance, have any of you experienced the intermittent operation of the fob as well? Mine started acting up not too long ago, in particular, opening/closing the driver side sliding door.

  12. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    718
    Only if the batteries are low. Some reports of issues in certain areas when radio interference limits the range or operation of the remote.

  13. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    718

    Just replaced my broken flimsy key remote with a key remote blank. Cost ~$40 total

    Duplicate
    Last edited by jnissen; 04-11-2019 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Duplicate

  14. #12
    Registered User My3Angels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
    Hey guys,

    The common issue of the key blade breaking off the key remote because of the cheap plastic was something I was dealing with, using superglue, etc.

    I ended up buying a key shell with uncut keyblade off amazon (2 pack for $10 or something). I then had the blank key cut to match existing key. I then transplanted the electronic part from old remote to new one, and even kept the original back on the new shell.

    Result is I have a key that isnt' flimsy or falling apart and fully stable now. The cost to cut the key was $20 so all in all not a bad deal and works perfectly.
    Dang I have had my Amazon blanks for over a year now lol. Mainly because they were charging me $50 per key. Going to have to do it soon as my new screw is about hanging on for dear life.
    'Arrive Alive' Don't text and drive!

  15. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I did the same thing with mine. I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday and planned on asking about it. Even though my warranty is up, they've taken care of the TSB's I've encountered free of charge in the past. I'll be sure to report my findings.
    Original quote was $220. I mentioned the TSB and they came down to $180. I said no thanks.

  16. #14
    Registered User m4gician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceace5150 View Post
    I'm having the same issue and thinking of going this route. Where did you have the key cut and how is it working out?
    I had it cut at the auto parts store. $15. The blanks were from amazon
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

  17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Possible Solution for the Flimsy Odyssey Armrests
    By kelsaco in forum 2018+ Odyssey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 07:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM
  3. 2011+ Key FOB Question>> blank 'physical' key
    By ody_family in forum 2011 - 2017 Odyssey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  4. Are 05+ bumpers really flimsy?
    By sh34 in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM
  5. Just replaced my '03 with an '05
    By cthetford in forum Introduce yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2