Profiting off disabling VCM
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Profiting off disabling VCM

Profiting off disabling VCM

I recently found out about VCM issues Honda is having on their V6. I don't understand why so many posts and push to buy $100+ device to disable them. I'm starting to suspect lots of marketing is going on. People who make this is not a company, probably some guys put these together at their garage buying resistors or chips they purchased somewhere online for pennies. With few online searches and understanding, you can make your own for less then $5. You might be saying most do not want to risk messing with auto electronics but there are topics of changing timing belts and sliding door repair, etc... which takes way more experience and knowledge. Information is out there, do some research and save yourself some money. Isn't this the purpose of looking at forums?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Go ahead - fill your boots. The information is all out there.

For the 99.99% of Odyssey owners who are unwilling and/or incapable to build their own, having people willing to do it for them is very nice. And I'm happy to compensate those people for their time and effort according to a rate we find mutually agreeable.

I alone decide what is a good value for me, and paying for my VCM disable device is a good deal for me.

I don't have any skin in the game at all - I don't know anyone who makes any of these devices. But what's wrong with making a profit? Even a healthy one? It's not like a VCM disable device is a public good that people should be entitled to. Where's the entrepreneurial spirit?
    Last edited by CroMath; 03-27-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Many folks around here have made their own. The simple ones do not cost $100. For that money (or slightly more) you get a much more sophisticated device with features the simple resisters don't have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+1 for everything CroMath said. I DIY a lot of things, but choose to have an "expert" tackle others and decide when the price is worth it to me. Everybody pays someone else for certain things to sustain their life or lifestyle. You probably go to the grocery store, but why not just buy some land and grow your own beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, etc.? Or why even buy a car when you could just build your own?
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

The people who have made Muzzlers are completely upfront about what it is -- you can definitely make your own if you're so inclined. I was not so inclined and it was also nice to have one that looked OEM and blended in.

Quote Originally Posted by sertimins View Post
    I recently found out about VCM issues Honda is having on their V6. I don't understand why so many posts and push to buy $100+ device to disable them. I'm starting to suspect lots of marketing is going on. People who make this is not a company, probably some guys put these together at their garage buying resistors or chips they purchased somewhere online for pennies. With few online searches and understanding, you can make your own for less then $5. You might be saying most do not want to risk messing with auto electronics but there are topics of changing timing belts and sliding door repair, etc... which takes way more experience and knowledge. Information is out there, do some research and save yourself some money. Isn't this the purpose of looking at forums?
    I agree completely.

Many people act as if this is brain surgery. It's not, but I do understand how make-your-own electronics, no matter how simple, might seem more intimidating than doing a timing belt job for some people just because it is a completely different domain.

I made my own resistor-based solution for far less than $1. Working flawlessly for many years now. I'm considering adding a bypass switch so the muzzling can be turned off easily from the dashboard when wanted, but it has not yet made it to the top of my list of things to do.

And I agree on the marketing stuff. Selling the fear, filled with many dubious claims. EDIT - and I'm not talking about verbatim and maxud. All that seems great, clear, positive, accurate, helpful - and a special thanks to verbatim for clearly and honestly explaining how his solution works so others can use it. It's the smoke and mirrors complexity options that (for example) claim to be more reliable than a resistor.
    Last edited by oldskewel; 03-27-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Claims of the higher tech devices being more reliable are, indeed, marketing hype. The added features of the electronic devices are however, in my opinion, worth the money. The features on the VCMTunerII are enough to sell me. 100% deactivation and the ability to pass normal temps during prolonged idle and under overheat conditions are not marketing hype. Besides, I believe CARB certification is pending on that device which is a huge deal in Californian and NY.

Can you do it with $1 in parts? Of course. Most people know that. I could have made one in minutes. Personally, I choose NOT to hack up a $400 engine wiring harness when a simple plug and play method, that is 100% reversible, exists.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

... I don't understand why so many posts and push to buy $100+ device to disable them.
    And yet you started another new thread on disabling VCM...

I'm starting to suspect lots of marketing is going on.
    With your years of experience and reading on the subject? Do you know any of the individuals who designed and/or build these devices? I know every one of them except the designer/builder of the S-VCM and have received no money from, nor do I have any stake in, the sale of these devices. I simply give advice that I feel benefits people. I have installed the devices on quite a few vehicles and made their owners very happy with solving high oil consumption problems. I would never hack up a customer's car wiring harness and take the chance of corrosion getting into a bad butt splice or solder joint when there exists a plug and play, reversible solution. You have to think beyond your one and only own vehicle.

People who make this is not a company, probably some guys put these together at their garage buying resistors or chips they purchased somewhere online for pennies.
    Have you searched and priced the connectors needed to make this device plug and play? Have you researched enough to know that one side of the connector is very common but the other side is not and has to be purchased direct from China in large lots, requiring a fairly significant investment?

With few online searches and understanding, you can make your own for less then $5. You might be saying most do not want to risk messing with auto electronics but there are topics of changing timing belts and sliding door repair, etc... which takes way more experience and knowledge. Information is out there, do some research and save yourself some money. Isn't this the purpose of looking at forums?
    With your vast amount of searching you haven't seen that quite a few people have actually made their own? It's really a good idea to research before making such a condescending post that is actually indicative of being quite uninformed on the subject.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

It's kinda like going to a restaurant and ordering an 8 oz burger for $12, when the restaurant only paid about $4 for the beef, bun, and toppings. Now, I could go to the store and buy the ingredients for about $5, but I am quite content letting someone else cook the burger. And I don't expect them to do it for free.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

My post apparently ruffled some feathers. Apologies for sharing my opinion. wish you all a wonderful day

My post apparently ruffled some feathers. Apologies for sharing my opinion. wish you all a wonderful day
    Your opinion included a vague accusation of some fairly forthright and generous people steering all the water to their own mills, so to speak. That, as far as anyone can tell, simply isn't true. We're all just a bunch of small frys out here. You're right that these things are a "boutique" product; there is no Chinese factory cranking out ten thousand of these things a day. They're generally hand-made or batch-produced by some entrepreneurs working a side gig in their basements or garages. That doesn't mean that there's no overhead or that these guys or gals shouldn't expect to make a few bucks on the whole thing.

It's exactly because the design, specifications and assembly techniques are pretty well-known (on this forum and others) that I can say that absolutely no one cares if you choose to make your own - you're free to and if you want to, you should. That doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers - your van, your call. But understand that there is nothing untoward in realizing that the average Odyssey driver out there (and outside Odyclub, because many of the active members here are anything but "average" owners) doesn't do much of anything under the hood by themselves other than add windshield washer fluid periodically. And explaining to folks like this that there are good pre-made options available to them if they want to go that way is just trying to be helpful. Because once again, they too are free to choose for themselves.
    Last edited by CroMath; 03-27-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

LOL! Did you look at your title you typed yourself?? "Profitting off disabling VCM" The only one "ruffled" is YOU!

DD.
    because you could make this same argument for any product ever made. You're really going to lose your sh*t when you find out how much profit Apple made off of you on your last iPhone.

I think I paid about $80 for the VCMuzzlerII. Yea, it may only be $5-10 in parts, but it would cost me a lot more than $70-75 in time and tools to figure out how to build the same thing. If you don't work with electrical components at all, even though it's easy to build, it would take some time to figure out what you need and how to build it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    LOL! Did you look at your title you typed yourself?? "Profitting off disabling VCM" The only one "ruffled" is YOU!
    That's right son, you have a problem? I have a problem with people using scare tactic to make a sale. Your so cool driving your minivan with proper muzzler. I'm not cool enough to join your club. I red striped my minivan. WOW it's a race minivan.

Scare Tactics? Are you saying that just because we might recommend a Muzzler product, we are trying to scare people? There's only one member who actually makes one of the products active here. If he were chiming in in various threads around here hocking his product, we would be the first to call him on it. I think he does have a thread on here. Sold them to early adopters really cheap if I recall. Had issues finding the connectors in sufficient supply & quality. Has done no hassle warranty trade outs. Why I think we should tar and feather him for making money!
    Folks who buy Touring Elites probably do make a lot of money. They might actually like a nice neat OEM looking product. Something that can just be plugged in (and more importantly, unplugged) Some of those folks are used to tipping as much as one costs. They don't give a rats about $100.

By the way, these devices do actually address a real issues, especially in certain model years. In newer vans it just smooths things out. Would you deny us smooth? I think I will go find some 20 year old Scotch.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast